Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is this Halfords coolant ok for GSXR engine?
Sloan85

posted on 4/5/13 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Is this Halfords coolant ok for GSXR engine?

I have bought some antifreeze from Halfords and just wanted to double check it is suitable for a GSXR engine?

The Haynes manual says 50/50 distilled water and corrosion inhibiting ethylene glycol mixture. The antifreeze from Halfords is ethylene glycol, OAT (organic acid technology) type so I think will be suitable but I just wanted to get a second opinion.

Cheers

http://www.h alfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_219480_langId_-1_categoryId_255224

http://mkindygsxr.blogspot.co.uk

Chaddy

posted on 4/5/13 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
That is what I have in my R1
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 4/5/13 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
You should be OK, but personally I use the ethylene glycol with the silicate inhibitor mix (the blue one). I only use this because I change the coolant with every engine detonation/replacement, so use quite a bit of it, it's cheaper. I like silicates, less agressive, so do Japanese bike manufacturers.

From what I can see, OAT has come to the fore due to it's longevity. No one likes servicing cars, so we have antifreeze inhibitor packages that last a good few years, synthetic oils that never chemically break down and brake fluids that aren't as hygroscopic as they once were. I'm guessing all this, I'm a scientist (chemist), but it seems logical that anti-service is a good thing all round.

Your OAT inhibitor mix is essentially sodium or potassium salts of ethylhexanoic acid, in ethylhexanoic acid (i.e it's a salt buffer if you remember your school chemistry - all that Kh/Ka=Kd stuff). The only things that don't like sitting in ETA will be silicone rubber and some types of 'soft' nylon or natural rubber (ETA isn't just corrosive it's a plasticiser) none of which should be in your cooling system. Therefore, should be all good.

britishtrident

posted on 4/5/13 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
OAT is more environmentally friendly and lasts for 5 years plus.

If changing coolant just water flush out any old style coolant.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.