Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto 3d ignition mapping
Mikef

posted on 11/5/13 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto 3d ignition mapping

Hi All.

I have just set up a new 3d mapped ign on my 2l Pinto. I have a very basic map and any advice would be of help. I will take it to the rolling road for final set up. In the meantime it is set from 10 deg at 1000 rpm to 35deg at 7500, in equal increments The TPS setting are all the same from 10% to 100 % throttle opening , so in theory at the moment I am running it in 2D. The couple of questions I have are:

Is 35 deg advance at max revs a bit much ?

Bit of help / suggestions for the TPS setting, I am presuming from what I have read that the advance should increase slightly as the throttle is opened ?

The engine spec is :

10.3 comp ratio

sprint cam with the power band 3000 to 7000

Any help especially on the TPS settings would be a big help.

MikeF

RichardK

posted on 11/5/13 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
That's pretty much how I had mine set up and Boggs brother recommended me that I stay with my 2d map on my pinto, if its a megajolt I can find my final map and you could compare?

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mikef

posted on 11/5/13 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Rich, a copy of your map to compare would be a big help. Do you know why they recommended that you keep it 2D ? That would also be interesting. Cheers.
mcerd1

posted on 11/5/13 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
what ECU have you got ?

I've collected a few pinto maps that your welcome to (megajolt)

[Edited on 11/5/2013 by mcerd1]

-

Mikef

posted on 11/5/13 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks any thing would be welcome , be good to compare, be happy to post mine when Iam happy with it and after the rolling road. Iam using a Nodiz
RichardK

posted on 11/5/13 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry mate can only find my newer zetec one. It was 18 at idle and all in at 36, most pintos are happy at idle between 14 and 18 I've found.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 11/5/13 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Generally the pinto likes 36 degrees by 3600 rpm then runs a pretty flat map from there onwards
Some run as much as 38 degrees to 3800 rpm others a little as 34 degrees
Most pinto idle on 8 to 12 degrees adding 2 degrees per cam upgrade
An FR32 will usually be happy with 14 degrees FR33 16 or a bit more and the RL31 18 degrees at 1000 to 1200rpm then starting a sharp ignition ramp to 3500 34 degrees
I find the hardest part to map the low load part throttle

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

timr_05

posted on 13/5/13 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I've just installed the Nodiz on mine, and it only starts with the advance at like 27 the toothed wheel is calibrated and cam is timed makes no sense..
can anyone email some megajolt/nodiz tunes across that i can fiddle with i have both softwares on my comp.
My engines pretty much rally cam, high comp, Stage 3 head, Bike carbs.
I'd apperciate it.
timr_05@hotmail.com
cheers

BaileyPerformance

posted on 13/5/13 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timr_05
I've just installed the Nodiz on mine, and it only starts with the advance at like 27 the toothed wheel is calibrated and cam is timed makes no sense..
can anyone email some megajolt/nodiz tunes across that i can fiddle with i have both softwares on my comp.
My engines pretty much rally cam, high comp, Stage 3 head, Bike carbs.
I'd apperciate it.
timr_05@hotmail.com
cheers

Where are you? any where near Telford?

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
timr_05

posted on 13/5/13 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm from Birmingham mate
MikeRJ

posted on 13/5/13 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikef
Bit of help / suggestions for the TPS setting, I am presuming from what I have read that the advance should increase slightly as the throttle is opened ?

You need more advance when the cylinder is poorly filled with air, i.e. part throttle, and reduce it as cylinder filling increases.

This is what the old "vacuum advance" units do on a distributor. With TPS control you have to take RPM into account as well, since e.g. 1/4 throttle could give good cylinder filling at 2000 RPM but very poor at 6000 RPM.

On top of this behavior the advance increases with increasing RPM up to a certain limit.

Craigorypeck

posted on 13/5/13 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
heres how mine was on the pinto, this was a very early version but on the safe side, i did whack the advance up all over the show when out testing it. Just listened for pinking and then noted where needed adjusted. after peak torque the advance can be nudged up a bit more too.. thats the beauty of 3d mapping. TBH rolling road is needed but was pretty close when it eventually hit the rollers.
I added a bit of extra advance when the revs would drop on cold start, helped it from stalling..
HTH

[IMG]http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu336/craigorypeck/IgnitionMap.j pg[/IMG]

[Edited on 13/5/13 by Craigorypeck]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.