Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone on here running a LSD diff?
Big Hyndy

posted on 15/5/13 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone on here running a LSD diff?

I have a granada back end on my Mini and its an open diff, also the cars top speed is a mere 108mph. Im looking into a Cossie diff as its LSD mainly because I feel the open diff is unpredictable I'd rather have more control through the throttle. Also im wanting to achieve around 125-130mph as it is on the limiter far too quick for my liking and fear its going to go bang on the straights (plus 108mph isnt doing it for me its far too stable) so I need a lower final drive. Does anyone have experience with LSD on a BEC or even better a Cossie diff on one?

Cheers

Callum.

[Edited on 15/5/13 by Big Hyndy]

Wadders

posted on 15/5/13 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't reckon a lot to the viscous ford LSD in my bec, never seemed to work right so swapped it for a Quaife which works
a treat.
Could be the one i had was shagged or mega miles? But i reckon the ford diffs are designed to work with a much heavier car and don't work so well in a lightweight.

Have heard good things about Tran X plate diffs but no actual experience

Al

imp paul

posted on 15/5/13 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
lots of the lads on here run 3.62 lsd ,from a cosworth also 3.14 or 3.38 and you can convert 3.14 to lsd as you can a 3.38, both diffs fetch big pennys now but seems like this is the way to go for you
mark chandler

posted on 15/5/13 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
I,m running a sierra 4x4 LSD fitted with a 3.14 crown wheel and pinion, car feels well planted it does try to go in a straight line on very slow tight bends occasionally, mostly if you pull away quickly which I think is as much to the front end lifting under acceleration.

I built it with the original 3.65 ratio so cannot comment on how it would be without, certainly under very hard acceleration you can spin both rears up together so I know it works.

Silly money indeed for these diffs, I paid £100 for a complete running 4x4 sierra, just a bit faded as red and £250 for the open 3.14 diff 3 years later on.

I suggest you have a look at alternatives if possible.

[Edited on 15/5/13 by mark chandler]

owelly

posted on 16/5/13 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
I have the XR4x4 LSD and it tends to make the car understeer at slow speeds and oversteer at higher speeds! The open diff would let one wheel spin whilst the other one carried on looking after direction. Now both wheels light up together causing over steer or grip together and push the front into understeer!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mikef

posted on 16/5/13 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I am using a Quaife plate diff, does work very well , you can alter the pressure by changing the plates around, good for light car, and the ramp angles to change how aggressive it is. Very noisy at slow speeds, in fact when I fitted it , took it up the road and came straight back and took the diff out as thought it was knackered.But apparently this is quite normal. Not sure it would be good for road use ? Think I would be looking at the Quaife ATB set up, if was just for the road.

MikeF

adithorp

posted on 16/5/13 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I'm running a Freelander diff with quaife ATB. Works great. You'd never know it was there in normal use and nice controlled slides when you're trying hard. Occationally it can catch you out, if it grips instead of spinning up the wheels; Expected oversteer turns into understeer... You have to have been doing a lot of sliding to get the heat into the tyres before it grips and does it though.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

mcerd1

posted on 16/5/13 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Big Hyndy
I have a granada back end on my Mini and its an open diff

is that a 7" or a 7.5" diff you've got ?
(granada's had both)

I assume you've got a 3.92 [7"] or 3.91 [7.5"] ratio at the moment ?

-

Big Hyndy

posted on 18/5/13 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Wow thanks for all the replies guys! now im really confused! lol!

First thing I need to do is check if its 7 or 7 1/2", knowing my luck the granada diff is prob a 7" and with the 2wd Cossie being a 7 1/2". they run bigger shafts and stubs, I need to check the torx bolts. Ive been told if there T45 then its a 7" if T50 then its a 7 1/2 2wd setup.

If its 7.5 I will get a cossie diff and see how it feels then, if its a 7" I will have a look into the other options above. I will have a better idea once I get some spare to to go and work on the car.

Big Hyndy

posted on 18/5/13 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Also found this which is cool!

http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/Sierra_Rear_Differential

kimbo1982

posted on 19/5/13 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
You can tell if its a 7" or 7 1/2" simply by measuring the width of the top diff mount.
If the width is 7" than you have a 7" diff, simple as that!

mcerd1

posted on 19/5/13 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
If its 7.5 I will get a cossie diff and see how it feels then, if its a 7" I will have a look into the other options above. I will have a better idea once I get some spare to to go and work on the car.

only the cossie 2wd had the bigger CV joints (108mm) and shafts - all the others use the same size (100mm) even if they are a 7.5"

so the 7" LSD found in cossie 4x4's and XR4x4's might be a better option for you
(it would only take some spacers to adapt the diff mounts to the smaller size...)

-

Big Hyndy

posted on 19/5/13 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:

only the cossie 2wd had the bigger CV joints (108mm) and shafts - all the others use the same size (100mm) even if they are a 7.5"

so the 7" LSD found in cossie 4x4's and XR4x4's might be a better option for you
(it would only take some spacers to adapt the diff mounts to the smaller size...)

Top man, thats good to know. Thanks mate!

Cheers

Callum

mcerd1

posted on 20/5/13 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
one other option for you is the granny 24v cossie

its a 7.5" LSD with a 3.64 ratio the same as the 2wd sierra cossie - but with the smaller 100mm CV's

but be careful if your looking for one of these as only the earlier cars had the LSD - the later ones have traction control instead

-

Custardpants

posted on 21/5/13 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 3.38 diff with the quaife ATB in my Indy. Compared to the open differential it was amazing how much more rear end grip it has given out of corners, and it does so predictably and smoothly. In some situations you can have even full power on as early as the apex and the diff will deal with it. It was really expensive but the car had one hand tied behind its back without it, wholeheartedly recommended.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.