Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Conservatory Question
Hellfire

posted on 15/5/13 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Conservatory Question

Our house has a conservatory attached, which was erected before we moved into the house. We've no idea who built the conservatory or who manufactured it but it's recently developed a leak. It appears that most of the polycarbonate roof panels have slid down, which isn't so much of a problem on the rectangular panels, because the ridge cap covers the gaps and prevents rainwater from entering. On the corners though, the panels are triangular which has left a quarter inch gap for water to enter As a temporary measure, I have shoved the roof panels back into position. Sort of. I can't lip the roof panels underneath the glazing bar capping. Longer term, I need to remove the capping (without breaking it) refit the panels and then fit some end caps to the glazing bars, to prevent the polycarbonate panels slipping again. I also noticed whilst doing this, that one of the eaves seal bars is completely missing. I've searched the internet but cannot find the same type of eaves seal. If I can find the manufacturer of the conservatory (which is approximately 13 yrs old) I could hopefully source the necessary parts (end caps and eaves seal) to repair it.

Any idea how I can find out? The previous owners of the property have no idea, because it was there when they moved in too...

Phil

mark chandler

posted on 15/5/13 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I cannot help you with the seals, however did have the same problem myself with sliding polycarbonate. To restore I held a block of wood against the low edge them walloped this with a club hammer, sounds horrible but the sheets moved back into position without damaging the edges.
theprisioner

posted on 15/5/13 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
see:

http://www.cabp.co.uk/acatalog/polycarbonate_sheet_accessories.html

Sealing buttons stop the thermal creep downwards!

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

Hellfire

posted on 15/5/13 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Problem with fitting the sealing buttons is that I'll need to remove the ridge cap to fix them and getting access to the conservatory ridge will be more difficult than fitting end caps from a pair of stepladders.

Phil

nick205

posted on 15/5/13 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Got to be worth asking around a few local installers to see if they know the manufacturer.

coops222
Contributor

Posts 60
Registered 28/4/12
Location hull

Photo Archive Go!
Building: robin hood sub k (built) lambretta mac175 (still b

posted on 15/5/13 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
hiya, i do this for a living.. if you can find out the roof type.. a logo or something, usually on the end of the bars,i could source them for you. or find ones which will fit.

i dont live far away and could run over sometime have a look and a cuppa...

paul

Hellfire

posted on 15/5/13 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks. I'll have a look in the next couple of days to see if I can find a logo or something. Whereabouts do you live?

Phil

[Edited on 15-5-13 by Hellfire]

coops222
Contributor

Posts 60
Registered 28/4/12
Location hull

Photo Archive Go!
Building: robin hood sub k (built) lambretta mac175 (still b

posted on 15/5/13 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
im in hull, but any excuse for a run outhttp://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/images//smilies/smile.gif

panels slipping is a common fault with older conservatories. a screw and a covercap at the very bottom of the panels will work if we cannot source the end caps.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.