Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike Master cylinder

posted on 7/10/04 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Bike Master cylinder

would it be possible to use a bike master brake cylinder for a low weigth (my single seater)car?
I intend to mount all the controls (throttle-clutch-brake-gear change)on some sort of handlebar instead of a steering wheel.
The two front callipers and one rear are from a Merc 190.
Does anyone have any idea's or know somebody who have built a electronic gear change for a BEC?
Thanks

Petemate

posted on 7/10/04 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Electronic shift for BECs? Try Proshift (I think that's it) My lad is going to fit one to his 'Busa Rush, but they are quite pricey. Nice though, flat-out up changes and coming down the 'box, just brake and it does it all, blipping the throttle for you etc.
Pete(Oldgit)

pifular

posted on 7/10/04 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
yeah can be pricey, best to have in mind a makeshift mechanical shift for road side repairs as all can be prone to gremlins. try kliktronic (better one!) or techtronics in a search engine.
andkilde

posted on 7/10/04 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cita
would it be possible to use a bike master brake cylinder for a low weigth (my single seater)car?
I intend to mount all the controls (throttle-clutch-brake-gear change)on some sort of handlebar instead of a steering wheel.
The two front callipers and one rear are from a Merc 190.
Does anyone have any idea's or know somebody who have built a electronic gear change for a BEC?
Thanks

Cita, you'll have to spend a few minutes with a pair of calipers and a calculator to figure out the hydraulics.

The FSAE team I was helping out this year had a last minute hiccup when their bike masters (two mounted up to a balance bar) didn't displace enough fluid to lock the brakes up effectively. They had to do a last minute thrash to install a new pedal box.

Measure the diameter of your master cylinder and its stroke -- determine your volume displaced (3.14*Radius*Radius*Stroke) then do similar calculations for your calipers and compare the two.

EDIT -- when calculating what the calipers need, remember to multiply by the number of pistons.

You'll want a fair bit of safety factor between the two volumes -- i.e. more volume displaced by Master than required by Caliper, double is a good starting point, triple is probably better. If the numbers are equal (or close to) your pedal won't get hard until it hits the floor.

And...

There was a fellow on the board who was building and selling (quite reasonably priced as I recall) electronic gear changes last year. You may be able to find him by searching old posts or asking the BEC boys.

Cheers, Ted

[Edited on 7/10/04 by andkilde]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.