Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fox problems
jacko

posted on 30/5/13 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Fox problems

Hi All
can anyone tell me how to make a 12v electric fence [ cheaply] i have a fish pond and a fox keeps coming to try and get a meal
I would use the fence at night and turn it of though the day
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 30/5/13 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
chicken wire, car battery & trickle charger.

Work to Live don't Live to Work

jacko

posted on 30/5/13 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
How do i wire all this up please you have got me interested as i have all these things
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 30/5/13 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
eBay Item would this be any good?

I imagine it comes with instructions..

Cheers

M

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

MakeEverything

posted on 30/5/13 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
or either of these and a friend with an FAC...

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

jacko

posted on 30/5/13 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry guns are OUT in my garden / home
Jacko

jacko

posted on 30/5/13 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
eBay Item would this be any good?

I imagine it comes with instructions..

Cheers

M

Hi Mark i have just been looking on Ebay lots to choose at but it would be nice if i could make something diy

mookaloid

posted on 30/5/13 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
You can build one - instructions here You could spend a few quid on the transformers etc needed

But if only for safety I would spend the £30 and get a properly designed one. It would be awful if some kiddy got electrocuted by a DIY effort.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

MakeEverything

posted on 30/5/13 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Jacko

But you'll electrocute an animal over and over again!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Peteff

posted on 30/5/13 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Adapt one of those toning belt things, they give you a decent kick when they are turned up.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Stot

posted on 30/5/13 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Shottie of FAC for me too, but you could try urine (mens) around your borders/fences. The scent can help keep foxes out of your garden.

Cheers
Stot

jacko

posted on 30/5/13 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Jacko

But you'll electrocute an animal over and over again!

No not electrocute just a shock like in cattle / horse fields

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 30/5/13 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I suggested a low voltage electric fence because I love foxes, had 2 as pets, rescued as cubs raised liked dogs, equally as loyal, perhaps I should come along and shoot your dogs, all animals were wild once dogs included, who are we to decide which should be domesticated!! circle of life n all, stop keeping fox food as pets!!!

[Edited on 30/5/13 by Aaron_n_Sim]

jacko

posted on 30/5/13 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
ELECTRIC FENCE ENERGISER - 12VDc To 1000 Volts HERRONS | eBay

The choice is the above or a big net so i think it will be the above at £29.99 and animal friendly too
Jacko

Daddylonglegs

posted on 30/5/13 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron_n_Sim
I suggested a low voltage electric fence because I love foxes, had 2 as pets, rescued as cubs raised liked dogs, equally as loyal, perhaps I should come along and shoot your dogs, all animals were wild once dogs included, who are we to decide which should be domesticated!! circle of life n all, stop keeping fox food as pets!!!

Without starting a war chap, I love animals to bits, but having seen/had several massacres of allsorts of animals by a family of foxes - and not one thing eaten!! - just to 'teach the cubs how to kill........ 'nuff said.

We all have our opinions....

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 31/5/13 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
quote:

Without starting a war chap, I love animals to bits, but having seen/had several massacres of allsorts of animals by a family of foxes - and not one thing eaten!! - just to 'teach the cubs how to kill........ 'nuff said.

It's nature my friend, we encroach on THEIR land, keep wild animals as pets, when i had a cottage in a field i used to watch my cat teach the kitten we kept hunt baby rabbits (kittens) cruel maybe natural definitely. I'm as guilty as the next man!! Reptile keeper! I feed my snakes rats once a week, only because law says letting them hunt live food is bloodsport.

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 31/5/13 at 01:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
quote:

It's nature my friend, we encroach on THEIR land, keep wild animals as pets, when i had a cottage in a field i used to watch my cat teach the kitten we kept hunt baby rabbits (kittens) cruel maybe natural definitely. I'm as guilty as the next man!! Reptile keeper! I feed my snakes rats once a week, only because law says letting them hunt live food is bloodsport.

Look I don't want to sound like a wan**r so perhaps if I put it ths way, if I live in the country and a deer (venison) walks into my garden it could be £150 gain if its a fox it could be £150 loss! Seems a simple way of putting it without offending anyone

spiderman

posted on 31/5/13 at 01:35 AM Reply With Quote
try this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJdLtxqL2LM

Spider

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 31/5/13 at 01:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spiderman
try this....

No disrespect but if it doesn't kill and deters I'm all for it.but foxes kill its nature, don't like it then feed and domesticate it, I'm all for anything that doesn't kil,

MikeRJ

posted on 31/5/13 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by spiderman
try this....

No disrespect but if it doesn't kill and deters I'm all for it.but foxes kill its nature, don't like it then feed and domesticate it, I'm all for anything that doesn't kil,

I don't like killing animals either which is why an electric fence is an excellent solution, they deter but don't kill. A neighbour recently had a load of his chickens massacred by an urban fox, so whilst I think they are amazing creatures and I would never kill one, I also wouldn't have any qualms about using an electric fence to keep them away.

However, hooking up a 12v car battery to a fence won't do anything at all, unless it touches it with it's nose whilst standing on wet ground, and even then it will be a tingle rather than a shock.

tegwin

posted on 31/5/13 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

However, hooking up a 12v car battery to a fence won't do anything at all, unless it touches it with it's nose whilst standing on wet ground, and even then it will be a tingle rather than a shock.

Have you ever touched an electric fence!? It is NOT just a tickle!

(edit to say...you are right, just a 12V battery won't do anything...you need a transformer to step that voltage up a bit :p)

[Edited on 31/5/13 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

scootz

posted on 31/5/13 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Has the fox actually eaten any fish? Could it just be stopping at your pond for a drink?

It's Evolution Baby!

MikeRJ

posted on 31/5/13 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

Have you ever touched an electric fence!? It is NOT just a tickle!

(edit to say...you are right, just a 12V battery won't do anything...you need a transformer to step that voltage up a bit :p)

[Edited on 31/5/13 by tegwin]

Both my grandparents had farms, so I learned about electric fences from a young age. When we were younger, fitter and much more stupid my brother and I used to have competitions to see how long we could hold the fence for, and yes it does hurt a lot. Not as bad as an ignition coil though, and had plenty of shocks from them as well (lots of experimenting with spark generators as a lad).

[Edited on 31/5/13 by MikeRJ]

Not Anumber

posted on 31/5/13 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
ignition coil and a PIR ?

jacko

posted on 31/5/13 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
How high dose a fence have to be to stop a fox coming over it ?

Today i have been looking around my back garden [ where the pond is ] and i think there is only one area that a fox will get in
I have a 2m wood fence on two sides and a garage at the bottom of the garden so the only way it would get in is between the house and one of the fences [there is conifer trees along that part with gaps under then ]
looks like i will be putting a third fence up there

That must be better then messing about with electric fences don't you all think ?
Jacko

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.