Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Automatic Haynes Roadster?
RichardRichard

posted on 18/6/13 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Automatic Haynes Roadster?

What do you reckon to an Automatic Haynes Locost build?

The donor car I'm looking at buying has an auto box. I do actually like driving an auto but was wondering if anyone else has done one and do you wish you'd gone manual? wouldn't be much trouble to convert to manual anyway.

Cheers

Planning to start own Haynes with my 11 year old (his idea!)

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/6/13 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
I drive both autos and manuals every day and most folk have no idea what their missing.

Autos are fantastic, I find it so funny when folk go on about how great sequential boxes are when automatics are just like them just faster plus you can wind up the transmission at lights so it goes like a rubber band when they change

Lots of people think you can't control them the same or as well as a manual but really that's down to lack off experience, you can make it change gear exactly when you want. Go for it, certainly would always be my first choice.

In my experience the vauxhall autos are some of the best I used. I'd also recommend a separate oil cooler for the gearbox oil especially if you are planning on thrashing it as that will really help the gear clutches last longer.

[Edited on 18/6/13 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardRichard

posted on 18/6/13 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mate

snapper

posted on 18/6/13 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Except for the dumb electronics that won't change down when you want to even in manual mode due to rev/torque lock out
Leave an auto 7 for the Americans

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Ben_Copeland

posted on 18/6/13 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
There's a guy in Kent with an automatic Haynes roadster. I'll try remember who if he doesn't post

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/6/13 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Except for the dumb electronics that won't change down when you want to even in manual mode due to rev/torque lock out
Leave an auto 7 for the Americans

Not all are electronically controlled most of mine have been mechanical with just electronic overdrives and you have to be very careful with the manual selection especially when slowing down so as not to over rev the engine massively, really if you need to be mucking with the selector while driving its not being used correctly and the gear locks are just meant for towing and driving in snow or wading when the gearbox would want to change up at the wrong times.

Practice is required and a learnt feel for how each gearbox is set up (as they are all different) let's you control the gears, in my current car I can select at least 3 different gears just by moving the throttle pedal slightly and then instantly take the engine right to the redline without ever having to have just one hand on the wheel. Most who complain of them just have a few shots, balls it up and don't use them again put off because they didn't feel in control or can't left foot brake.

[Edited on 18/6/13 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ivan

posted on 18/6/13 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
My Cobra has a 3 speed auto box and I wouldn't change it for a manual - even for track days. I did however put a shift kit in it so when a specific gear is selected I can hold it to max revs before changing up and if i change down it will immediately drop down to the next gear.

On track once over 30mph I keep it in second which is good for 0 - 100 mph for more than half the track, and only change up to 3rd (tops out at 150mph - not that I get there) on two of the longer straights. The only down point is that when changing down under braking from 3rd it over brakes the rear wheels for a fraction of a second that causes a tyre chirp and a bit of wheel locking - I need a much looser torque converter I think to stop the chirp.

You can get after market gear change computers that allow you to completely manage the change characteristics of modern electronically managed autos so they could be changed to suit the cars characteristics. I have been seriously thinking of installing a Merc 7 speed box with this but need to do a lot more research when time allows.

Around town I just leave it in Drive to do it's own thing.

40inches

posted on 18/6/13 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't go back to a manual box now, they are a b*ll ache in traffic, the last 12 cars have been auto's. The worst a Granny Scorpio,
changed up to second at 25mph in kickdown, and changed when it felt like it for the rest.
The best boxes? on a 535i Beemer, that was so responsive, as Mr Whippy said, changed on the throttle, closely followed by a Jeep
4 litre Cherokee, no torque converter wind up, it just went!

40inches

posted on 18/6/13 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardRichard
What do you reckon to an Automatic Haynes Locost build?

The donor car I'm looking at buying has an auto box. I do actually like driving an auto but was wondering if anyone else has done one and do you wish you'd gone manual? wouldn't be much trouble to convert to manual anyway.

Cheers

It's been done in an MK http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=179418

jacko

posted on 18/6/13 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=179418
There you go
jacko

Bare

posted on 19/6/13 at 02:06 AM Reply With Quote
Sighhhh. I'm currently driving an Auto box car. Basically got tired of dealing Clutch ans Hydraulics issues.
BUT the damned thing.. while great in urban traffic gridlock. there is NO comparison to having a driver selectable gear ratio.. On Demand.
Much like having an Auto box Motorcycle.. WHY ??

Slimy38

posted on 19/6/13 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

In my experience the vauxhall autos are some of the best I used.

Really? I'd consider them to be the worst. Unless you're extremely good with the throttle there is quite a jerk as it shifts gear. And the delay before it engages reverse is just obscene, I was literally counting the seconds. I reckon an average car park shuffle must take about three times as long as normal.

Compare that to a sweet Mercedes box, where the only time you know it's changed gear is because the rev counter has dropped down. Mind you, it could partly be the size of the car, going from an Astra to an E class there is a fair bit of metalwork to smooth out the ride.

I can see the appeal of an auto box, but personally I think it would take a certain 'something' out of a lightweight 7.

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/6/13 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Like I said it takes practice with a car to get the best out of it regardless of a manual or autobox. My experience discussing them with folk who said they didn't like automatic cars had only a few (if that many) goes and then proclaim them to be like driving a car possessed

I tried treaching my wife to drive mine but she could not stop slamming the brakes on, in the end I decided she would be dangerous in an emergency and she is just sticking to manuals. When i was a city bus driver 90% were autos but some were manual some even with upside down gate patterns then home in either a manual or auto car just have to drive what your given. But still vastly prefer the autos

RichardRichard

posted on 20/6/13 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I'll be sticking with a manual, the seller never accepted my offer for the auto mx5.

It looks like it'd been round hednesford hills raceway judging by the panels, roof split, pas pump gone, tatty interior but the bits i needed were ok, anyway, he reckons with a new roof its worth a bag of sand so i wished him good luck.

I'll keep looking for a cheapie donor

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.