Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: S2000 engine/F20C crank trigger wheel
Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 19/6/13 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
S2000 engine/F20C crank trigger wheel

I know the F20C has a poxy 12 point CTW and that this will cause problems for aftermarket ECUs.

Has anyone tackled this problem before?

Can you simply get a new trigger wheel made (36-1) and replace the oem or mount the new one to the crank pulley?

Thanks

wylliezx9r

posted on 19/6/13 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Omex and emerald can run on the standard trigger wheel, im using omex 710

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

S2kPower

posted on 20/6/13 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Only the Omex 710 can run the standard trigger wheel, the 600 can't

The ECU's that can run the standard trigger wheel tend to be able to program the teeth number. the Omex 600 has a set number of options

Also, to run the S2000 with an Omex 600, you'd need to convert to a coil pack (as opposed to coil on plug). With the 710 you don't need to do this

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 20/6/13 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Omex 710 is quite expensive mind - £1000!

I was looking at using the Canems ECU which does state 36-1 or 60-2

S2kPower

posted on 20/6/13 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
If you get a 2006+ engine then you could look into the honda data ecu

Use standard harness then too

It's all do-able. Just depends on how much you want to spend vs how much work you want to put into it really

Also what hasn't been pointed out is that you can actually use the standard ecu. If you're going to the trouble of converting from coil on plug to a coil pack, then you may as well read up on how to use the standard ECU. A few people have done it on here I think and say it isn't a hard job

PhillipM

posted on 20/6/13 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
A DTA S60 is about £750 if the budget would stretch a little...
Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 20/6/13 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S2kPower
If you get a 2006+ engine then you could look into the honda data ecu

Use standard harness then too

It's all do-able. Just depends on how much you want to spend vs how much work you want to put into it really

Also what hasn't been pointed out is that you can actually use the standard ecu. If you're going to the trouble of converting from coil on plug to a coil pack, then you may as well read up on how to use the standard ECU. A few people have done it on here I think and say it isn't a hard job

The OEM ECU is a waste of time TBH and anything with a DBW throttle is a non starter!

PeteS2k

posted on 24/6/13 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PhillipM
A DTA S60 is about £750 if the budget would stretch a little...

... and runs with all the standard sensors...

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 24/6/13 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough! Seems like D60 is the way forward. Pete, did you bother connecting the cam sensors too?

PeteS2k

posted on 25/6/13 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
The DTA S60Pro just reads the exhaust cam sensor. The only watch point I found was a bit of inconsistency with polarity of sensors between the Honda wiring diagram and the DTA - or it may have been my cack-handed putting it all together! I can't remember which ones now, but I do remember playing around with MAP, cam and crank sensor wiring until I got it running smoothly. The diagnostics on the DTASwin software made it a pretty straightforward job to work out where the problems were.

I also couldn't get the IACV to work, but others have, so again probably me.

There's a map with the unit for a F20C on std intake and sensors which got me through IVA and on the road by just running closed loop at low revs for emissions.

Some folk have also had success with Emerald, including running with standard sensors. I think they may even be able to supply a map as a good basis to start with, too, these days.

PhillipM

posted on 25/6/13 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
You'll only need the cam sensor if you want to run sequential ignition/injection. At the moment I haven't decided either way, as it's a toss up between an easier life for the coils and running out of wiring pins on my bulkhead connectors
Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 26/6/13 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeteS2k
The DTA S60Pro just reads the exhaust cam sensor. The only watch point I found was a bit of inconsistency with polarity of sensors between the Honda wiring diagram and the DTA - or it may have been my cack-handed putting it all together! I can't remember which ones now, but I do remember playing around with MAP, cam and crank sensor wiring until I got it running smoothly. The diagnostics on the DTASwin software made it a pretty straightforward job to work out where the problems were.

I also couldn't get the IACV to work, but others have, so again probably me.

There's a map with the unit for a F20C on std intake and sensors which got me through IVA and on the road by just running closed loop at low revs for emissions.

Some folk have also had success with Emerald, including running with standard sensors. I think they may even be able to supply a map as a good basis to start with, too, these days.

Thanks Pete - I may be calling on you in a few months time!!! I know the F20C pretty well but I have no clue on the DTA

PhillipM - BuggyofmildDiscomfort???

PhillipM

posted on 26/6/13 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Of course, you're being stalked ;D

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.