Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - Painting new plaster
mcerd1

posted on 24/6/13 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
OT - Painting new plaster

the new bathroom is well underway now (so I'm one step closer to getting back into the garage )

but how long should you leave new plaster to dry before painting ?
and what should I paint it with ?

I've got a new ceiling to paint white and 2 walls that I'll paint the same for now (as an undercoat for whatever colour she picks later)
the other walls are to be tiled, but I'd rather get the worst of the painting done before the tiles go up....

the plaster was done last wed, and the tiles are due to go up this wed, and I've still got a wrist in plaster

help !!!!

-

rdodger

posted on 24/6/13 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I use the locost method

First coat of emulsion mixed 50/50 with water. After that paint as normal.

Proby

posted on 24/6/13 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
^ +1 that's my usual method too.

Visit GraphicMonster

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 24/6/13 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I decorate for a living, the guys are right, we don't buy miscoat it's a bit of a DIY product, buy a cheap emulsion and add equal parts water and mix really really well the plaster needs to be totally dry real pale pink, the miscoat will be very messy I usually do it before the bathroom is fitted where possible!

HTH

Aaron

Work to Live don't Live to Work

Agriv8

posted on 24/6/13 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Bathroom Window open and a Warm air fan to circlate the air seemed to aid the drying process when I did mine 6 Years ago.

ATB Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

jossey

posted on 24/6/13 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I used to use 50/50 as above now I just pva the wall then paint.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Smoking Frog

posted on 24/6/13 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I think if you pva it first there will be little point in thinning down as the pva will form a barrier and will stop the emulsion soaking into the plaster.
Smoking Frog

posted on 24/6/13 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry don't know how to edit post but do agree with jossey, just do one or the other.
snapper

posted on 24/6/13 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
I water down the PVA or it forms a surface layer that can peel
Thin PVA goes in to the plaster better

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

jacko

posted on 24/6/13 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Tell the Wife it will have to be left for 6 months to dry then get in the garage
Paint it in the winter
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 24/6/13 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
I have tried various methods, including the watered down paint, and watered down PVA. I have found all of them to be slower, and more hit and miss than 'new plaster paint', which is branded as 'Fortress' in the DIY trade paint section. It is brilliant stuff - it covers really well - 2 coats and you have a finished room (they do brilliant white and magnolia). It is more expensive than watered down cheap emulsion, but I have had a brilliant finish every time, with minimal time/fuss spent.
JoelP

posted on 24/6/13 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I just use normal paint. Skim plaster will be mostly dry in 24 hours, if its over bonding then it will be a lot longer in deep spots. Because the paint soaks in, it dries immediately, so you can literally go ronud the room twice without stopping and its done.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 24/6/13 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
I just use normal paint. Skim plaster will be mostly dry in 24 hours, if its over bonding then it will be a lot longer in deep spots. Because the paint soaks in, it dries immediately, so you can literally go ronud the room twice without stopping and its done.

Fresh plaster is very porous and requires a treatment any of the 3 mentioned above are fine which one to use is personal preference most professionals just miscoat with watered down emulsion, but just painting will lead to flaking eventually!

Work to Live don't Live to Work

DavidW

posted on 24/6/13 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I've found if you use standard white emulsion you can paint directly to not quite dry skimmed plasterboard and get a good finish easily.
Peteff

posted on 24/6/13 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Get Dulux trade emulsion, our plasterer told us to use it when the plaster had dried to a light pink and it went on fine.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DavidW

posted on 25/6/13 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
B&Q do an emulsion (at least at the trade counter) by Leyland which is cheap and surprisingly good. Before I found this, I would use Dulux trade as above.
dhutch

posted on 25/6/13 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
When I looked into this (diynot forum is a good site) very few people recommend PVA with the majority stating that any old thinned down emulsion should be fine as long as its not vinyl. Personally I have found it cheaper to buy 10l of good stuff, than 2l of 'cheap' and 5l of good. I have also found crowns matt less good than the same priced dulux, both from BnQ.

Ive had all three bedroom ceiling replastered (two of which I also reboarded before hand) and each time was pushed for time, and painted them 24hours later, after a day of having fans on them, using a fan heater to reduce the remaining damp areas somewhat before the paint went on. Ideal no, any issues, no.

If it was a wall I would prefer to wait, due to the increased 'traffic' they get.

Daniel

JoelP

posted on 25/6/13 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron_n_Sim
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

Fresh plaster is very porous and requires a treatment any of the 3 mentioned above are fine which one to use is personal preference most professionals just miscoat with watered down emulsion, but just painting will lead to flaking eventually!

Easily said but the fact is that my paint hasnt fallen off, nor has it in the customers houses where ive done that.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

mcerd1

posted on 27/6/13 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
cheers guys

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.