Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: o-rings compatible with coolant?
corrado vr6

posted on 26/6/13 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
o-rings compatible with coolant?

Hi there i have ome of these and it uses o-rings on all the joins ie the top cap, bottom joint and the 2 outlet joints, it leaks like a sieve right now but its been on my car for about 2 years now with coolant in it (red for ali engine coolant BEC) and so my question is im thinking that the coolant is eating away at the o-rings, is this possible? is there any better o-ring sets i could buy that would work better?

Many thanks in advance Greg

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

britishtrident

posted on 26/6/13 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Viton or Nitrile rubber O rings are the materials used for O rings in car cooling systems, Viton is the preferred choice as Nitrile is generally regarded as having a 10 year life .

Viton O rings off eBay are what I buy for Rover water pump coolant pipes. As O rings often swell the toughest bit is sizing the O rings correctly -- they are sized by internal diameter and thickness diameter.

Where a screwed hose tail fitting screws into a tapered threaded connection O rings aren't any use instead use a Loctite grade suitable for thread sealing or if its a straight thread and a washer is required use a Dowty seal.

It always pays to cold pressure test cooling systems to just below the pressure cap blow off you would be surprised how many places they leak from which you can't see when the engine is hot.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Bare

posted on 27/6/13 at 02:40 AM Reply With Quote
O rings in a coolant system are 'light duty' installs. Not exactly the O Rings on the Boosters of the Space Shuttle.
Hot water, even laced with Glycol is non taxing, on even chinese made O rings.
IMO Rovers are Garbage. An insult to even the faded memory of British industry.
Not applicable info under any circumstance IMO sending those abominations to the crusher is The definitive " fix " :-)
Local Auto parts shops should have a wide selection of appropriate O rings.
Take your damaged ones in for matching and for less than the price of a Pint you can have fresh ones.
Use plumbers' Teflon tape on any screw on fittings that you suspect of leaking.

MikeRJ

posted on 27/6/13 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare
IMO Rovers are Garbage. An insult to even the faded memory of British industry.
Not applicable info under any circumstance IMO sending those abominations to the crusher is The definitive " fix " :-)

An opinion widely expressed by those who don't know what they are talking about IME.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.