Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy R Hayabusa Build
hkp57

posted on 6/7/13 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
MK Indy R Hayabusa Build

Ok due to working abroad i am not the one screwing this together but my chassis arrived at the Scottish Kit Car Center and the build has began.

Inboard front Shocks

Took the option of a Half cage

Test Fit of the Engine and doing some bracket work for fuel lines, ECU etc before powder coating.

[Edited on 6/7/13 by hkp57]

jacko

posted on 6/7/13 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
You have the foot well shorter on the N/S so why are you not moving it engine back to it ?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sdh2903

posted on 6/7/13 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
With a bec I always thought it was the wiser option to get a bit of weight up over the front end to help turn in? Also they tend to be slightly rear weight biased. Mine is pushed well forward.
hkp57

posted on 6/7/13 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
You have the foot well shorter on the N/S so why are you not moving it engine back to it ?

And its a nice clean space for the dry sump tank

MK chippy

posted on 6/7/13 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
May be wise to get that chassis treated/powder coated before starting the build?
hkp57

posted on 7/7/13 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Once some brackets and small bits of welding are done the engine is coming out and its going to be powder coated.

[Edited on 7/7/13 by hkp57]

Custardpants

posted on 15/7/13 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Before you fit the shocks I'd recommend you get them balanced on procomp's shock dyno, and fit rose jointed rear suspension. They are both jobs which are so much easier to do during the build.
hkp57

posted on 3/8/13 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Update -

Engine loom cleaned up and brackets fitted.

Chassis powder Coated ready to build now.

TimC

posted on 3/8/13 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
With a bec I always thought it was the wiser option to get a bit of weight up over the front end to help turn in? Also they tend to be slightly rear weight biased. Mine is pushed well forward.

I'm with you on this - but to try to get steering feel as much as anything.

quote:
Originally posted by hkp57
Update -

Engine loom cleaned up and brackets fitted.

I've got to be honest, I was reading the thread thinking, that people were:

1. Being a bit unnecessary critical
  2. Not reading what you'd already written

However, I now think you have a problem - all sensible theory/content that I've ever read on propshafts says that the gearbox output and differential input should be parallel. I can't see how that is the case on your build where the engine is parallel to the outer chassis rail rather than an imagined line running longitudinally down the middle of the car. It's not the first car I've seen like this but I'm pretty sure it's far from ideal.

ETA: I've just checked and this seems to be standard MK practice - even going back to when I had one... ooops. On that basis, I guess you'll be fine.

[Edited on 3/8/13 by TimC]

sdh2903

posted on 3/8/13 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure why MK do that with engine angle, theres plenty of room to get it parallel??
hkp57

posted on 3/8/13 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
TimC

I don't have a definitive answer but based on my engineering understanding and the proven track record of MK I would say the following.

To have the gearbox output inline with the diff flange would mean moving the engine even further towards the near side of the chassis due to the offset between the crank center and gearbox flange (not sure this is physically possible without moving the top chassis rail)

To have a dead straight prop-shaft is probably the worst thing you could do to the bearings in the UJ, they need a bit of misalignment to make the bearing caps work and self lubricate or they will self destruct.

Provided the diff and gearbox are parallel in at least one plane (both vertical) I don't see this as being a problem, the included angle on all three universal joints as this is a 2 piece prop should not exceed the manufacturers tolerance 7deg misalignment there should be no issue. The universal joint does not know if the 7deg is created because the engine has been rotated around its horizontal axis or if its due to a height change in the drive train. All the UJ knows is it has to deal with 7deg included angle provided the engine and diff flanges are plumb to each other.

Maybe Danny can pitch in here

hkp57

posted on 27/8/13 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Health check on the engine.

Out with the standard clutch

In with a new set of plates

All back together with uprated springs

hkp57

posted on 27/8/13 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Bottom End

Sump off and check the bottom end, looked good

Baffle plate fitted

Swinging pickup fitted

Mmmmm Billet

Bolted up.

hkp57

posted on 30/8/13 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
A Little More Progress

Floor in place with brake pipes, fuel lines and wiring harness.

Engine back in and Loom installed.

Next is wishbones, shocks etc .

hkp57

posted on 21/10/13 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Slow progress right now

Builder is being delayed waiting on parts to be delivered.

Waiting for uprights and rocker arm bearings from MK

Diff in place, rear wishbones and shocks dry fit up.

hkp57

posted on 19/12/13 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Badges

I know its a bit early in the build but it is Christmas. I made up some ai files copying the MK badges, had them done in real carbon backgrounds and chrome vinyl print.

they were then coated in resin to give the domed effect. Pictures don't do them justice they turned out great

CosKev3

posted on 6/1/14 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good.

Presume your going for a reverse box?As I can't see the mounts for the electric reverse motor

yellowcab

posted on 6/1/14 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
How do you adjust your shocks whilst they're in situ? they look almost impossible to get to?!
hkp57

posted on 7/1/14 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Looking good.

Presume your going for a reverse box?As I can't see the mounts for the electric reverse motor

It is going to have an electric reverse. stay tuned!

hkp57

posted on 7/1/14 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
How do you adjust your shocks whilst they're in situ? they look almost impossible to get to?!

If you look closely you will see the shocks were only thrown in there for the picture, finally assembly will sort it out.

In the picture there are no spacers on the bolts, nuts on the back, if you look close enough there is not even any bearings in the rocker arms.

Seems this thread from the start has been open to opininon based on half information or failure to look close enough at what I posted. (not directed at you personally Yellowcab) but just a feeling I get from this forum in general.

yellowcab

posted on 7/1/14 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi hkp

Yes I can see the shocks were only thrown in for the photograph, Yes I can see the bolts are loose and are not tight, Yes I can see that there are no spacers, nor nuts, and Yes I can even see that the rocker arms have no bearings in.

However, my original 'interested' question still stands:

"How do you adjust these front shocks when they're in situ? they look almost impossible to get to?"

Don't be so defensive, with your 'if you look close enough' comments.

I was genuinely intrigued how, at the side of the road, or in the pits on track - would you get to the adjusters on the shock absorbers, and whether you intending on mounting them with the adjustments knobs at the top of the shock absorbers, or at the bottom, and whether they'll be facing forward, or towards the rear of the car.

Please keep open minded, this is an open forum with lots of like minded individuals and enthusiasts, and no matter how perfect a car may be, every one is entitled to suggest new ways of doing things, I've learnt shed loads from people commenting on my build thread.

[Edited on 7/1/14 by yellowcab]

CosKev3

posted on 7/1/14 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hkp57
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Looking good.

It is going to have an electric reverse. stay tuned!

Hurry up then as I need ideas!!!!!

CosKev3

posted on 7/1/14 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab

Please keep open minded, this is an open forum with lots of like minded individuals and enthusiasts, and no matter how perfect a car may be, every one is entitled to suggest new ways of doing things, I've learnt shed loads from people commenting on my build thread.

[Edited on 7/1/14 by yellowcab]

yellowcab for Prime Minister!!!!

hkp57

posted on 8/2/14 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
First Progress of 2014

Assembling Front hubs and Brakes.

Rear Brakes Built

hkp57

posted on 8/2/14 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
Ready to plan Dash Layout

Time to work out the layout.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.