Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Change of career - help!
eznfrank

posted on 8/7/13 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Change of career - help!

Evening all,

I'm more of a lurker on here nowadays while I'm "inbetween cars" although I may well be investing again soon so expect to see more of me.

Anyway, I need some advice and you guys were my first thought of collective, sensible (ish) people to get thoughts from.

I've been employed by the same company for 15 years, 14 of which as a Financial Crime Investigator and I've just been offered redundancy. It comes at a nice time really as I've not really enjoyed the job for the last few years and unless I was forced out I'd be there till the day I die. So in a few weeks time I'll be out of there with a nice little pay off of over a years salary, BUT what do I do next? I fancy a total change to something non-desk based, and I'm not too bothered about earning huge amounts of money.

I'd love to maybe be a diving instructor (already a Dive Master) or run survival courses or something along those lines, but whilst I don't mind not earning a lot, I understand both those jobs pay literally nothing. I'm good with my hands, strong as an ox and pick things up quickly but other than investigation stuff I have no formal qualifications although I'd quite happily go to college or uni and would be willing to spend maybe £10k or so on getting the right qualifications for something I'd like.

In the interim period I'll be helping my missus with a business she's buying which is a flower shop so not exactly my cup of tea

Any thoughts?

EDIT to add - I don't have many regrets in life, I did regret not going travelling when i was younger but I've just been away for 6 months rectifying that one, however, one of my biggest regrets is not training to be a stunt performer - we have a family friend who's in the business and when I was 19 or so he was pointing me in the right direction and I was getting there but then met girls, and more girls and let life get the better of me. Sadly at 34 I'm too old (and fat) to do it now.

[Edited on 8/7/13 by eznfrank]

Hellfire

posted on 8/7/13 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Private Investigator

Magnum PI
Magnum PI

Phil

inkafone

posted on 8/7/13 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Private detective with a cover delivering flowers - go self employed and set-up a few businesses using your present skills.
eznfrank

posted on 8/7/13 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Well, that's a definite possibility, I have done bits of private work before but it's significantly more boring that good old Magnum and co would have us believe. It's also full of blokes crying and asking you to do a weeks worth of surveillance on their other halves for a few hundred quid :-)
coozer

posted on 8/7/13 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
I spent years as an automotive engineer and the pressure and stress of customers like Jaguar and Nissan was horrendous..

Anyway, took my redundancy and got a job inside Nissan as a supplier QA engineer.. Big mistake! 6 months later I jacked it and got myself an HGV licence..

Now I can work 3 days a week, admittedly sometimes 14~15 hour shifts but I now take home as much and sometimes more than I did as an engineer, and theres no stress!

5 days is normally about 55 hours which I don't do much of but that brings me a handsome wage in

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

omega0684

posted on 8/7/13 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
you can earn up to £30,000 PA according to RED driving school's advert on TV

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eznfrank

posted on 8/7/13 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
haha, yeah I'll bet!!
Hellfire

posted on 8/7/13 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know what your finances are like but how about going into Property Development? Get the first one under your belt and it should get successively easier and will soon become very profitable (at least by my simplistic logic...)

Phil

eznfrank

posted on 8/7/13 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
That's something I've been thinking of as I've actually done 3 houses before and done ok out of it. I could afford to do it I would have thought but it would be risking most if not all of my cash and possibly having a long wait for returns. Definitely one for me to think about a bit more though.
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/7/13 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Done the city bus driving myself and have to say office work of staring at a computer screen all day is way way more boring
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theprisioner

posted on 8/7/13 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Odd Job Man, did it for 8 years

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

Slimy38

posted on 8/7/13 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Could you be a diver with the police? Not sure whether your investigative background would help though.
mookaloid

posted on 8/7/13 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Buy some houses to rent out for investment and get a job to keep you going

I don't know how much cash you have but you spread your money out in deposits across 2 or 3 houses and buy to let mortgages for the balances. You gear it so that the incoming rent covers the mortgage payments with a bit left over which you can use to supplement your income or use to pay off the mortgages quicker.

Basically you keep your money as equity in the properties, you benefit from the capital growth on several houses and someone else pays the cost of the mortgages.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Peteff

posted on 8/7/13 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Teach survival, it's got to be easy telling people how to breathe in and out, eat something and have a drink now and then

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

eznfrank

posted on 8/7/13 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Police diver is an interesting prospect and one I've actually done a mass of research into. The police take serving officers and make divers out of them and currently don't recruit civilians - that being said, the HSE regs do allow it and as the police have civilians scene of crime officers I can't see any legal reason why a civvy couldn't do it. To get the training I'd need though would be silly money - around £15,000 with a very slim chance i'd get any work out of it.

For the divers out there it would be HSE Scuba, HSE Surface Supply plus some other bits and bobs.

JoelP

posted on 8/7/13 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I work self employed in the building trades and absolutely love it. Currently contracting fitting kitchens. You do need experience to get a good contract though, but i couldnt be happier at the min. Property development is where id like to head to, i have 2 houses at the min but not enough capital to start banging houses out full time. There is serious money in it when you know what you are doing, even more if you can claim PPR on them and not pay capital gains tax.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 8/7/13 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
My brother In law was a driving instructor, but jacked it in cos there wasn't enough people and far too many driving instructors out there. Red take a huge monthly fee for passing on customer and still charge it even if they don't have any for the instructor.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/7/13 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
My brother In law was a driving instructor, but jacked it in cos there wasn't enough people and far too many driving instructors out there. Red take a huge monthly fee for passing on customer and still charge it even if they don't have any for the instructor.

I've actually signed up for a full driving instructor course with BSM, but now having serious doubts about the shear number of instructor cars about, even in aberdeen which is supose to have a huge demand but their everywhere!

Think I am going to get a refund for the course and just change my bus licence into a HGV instead

[Edited on 8/7/13 by Mr Whippy]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 9/7/13 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
Think BSM are pretty bad too, they all do the same. Better to be completely self sufficient and get your own business. Then you need to be cheap enough to get people to come to you, but charge enough to survive! My brother in law couldn't make enough money as everyone was under cutting each other.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Slimy38

posted on 9/7/13 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
It's really not worth being a driving instructor, as mentioned the supply is outstripping demand. What the country needs is more driving examiners, at the moment there is a 6 to 8 week lead time (in some areas) for taking your test purely because there isn't enough examiners in the test centres.

eznfrank, you mention that they take serving police officers and make them into divers? Would you consider being a police officer first with the intention of becoming a diver? Even starting as a 'special' would work as a first step on a potentially long career.

T66

posted on 9/7/13 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
Police diver is an interesting prospect and one I've actually done a mass of research into. The police take serving officers and make divers out of them and currently don't recruit civilians - that being said, the HSE regs do allow it and as the police have civilians scene of crime officers I can't see any legal reason why a civvy couldn't do it. To get the training I'd need though would be silly money - around £15,000 with a very slim chance i'd get any work out of it.

For the divers out there it would be HSE Scuba, HSE Surface Supply plus some other bits and bobs.

I very much doubt the Police will spend & train on non Police officers, they have dabbled with such schemes before. Guys came in, took the training and left for jobs offshore. Bit like training the Cops on an air support unit to fly many years ago, oddly enough they all left ..

The reason they stick with Cops is they are generally pension locked, however this is changing rapidly. Keep your eye on the ball as services like these are expensive to run, and with finance being how it is, there is a trend who would like to offload that cost. At some point it may end up in the hands of a private company. An air diver is about £500 a day I believe, wouldnt take many open water searches to rack up a canny bill.

Have a look at H&S NEBOSH qualifications or NDT inspection http://www.argyllruane.com/

Not everyones cup of tea, but very different to what you do now.

eznfrank

posted on 9/7/13 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
The civillian police diver thing really got my interest as I'd done alot of research into it already. I've had discussions with the HSE and various training agencies and I know that I can get the same training as the police, albeit I would have to pay for it which I am happy to do, plus 14 years in evidence handling/crime investigation is a huge benefit. I'm just not convinced they would ever go for it but then if I don't try I guess I'll never know. The skills I'd acquire could always be used elsewhere I'm sure.

I'm still just weighing up all my options but I knwo I definitely don't want to be sat behind a desk for the rest of my life!

scootz

posted on 9/7/13 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with Ivan... it's unlikely that the police would take on a civilian diver as most underwater search units operate on a call-out basis (when they're not training or on a live job, they're doing 'normal' police work).

The only time I could see civiians doing the job is if the service was contracted-out (unlikely due to the high costs), or they civilianised the whole unit and operated on a part-time basis. I would add that there's not really a huge demand for underwater search unit assistance in most areas, so there's little chance of steady work.

I applied once and realised very early on that it wasn't for me. Most calls were in the manky harbours where you'd be up to your chest in mud and you (literally) couldn't to see your hand in front of your face. Factor in that you are operating 'by touch' and usually looking for human remains, and the appeal soon subsides.

So I decided to join the firearms section instead... far more fun!

It's Evolution Baby!

eznfrank

posted on 9/7/13 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
I agree. I know that it is technically and legally possible, but I'm also not convinced the police would go for it, and it would cost a lot for me to find out.

I'm guessing their might be call for underwater investigators outside of the police - maybe working for solicitors on defending negligence cases etc?

jps

posted on 9/7/13 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Not that i know anything about the subject - but aren't there such things as underwater welders? Have you thought about that?
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.