Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any news on the fate of Mallory?
fha772

posted on 11/7/13 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Any news on the fate of Mallory?

Hi all,

I understand that the council meeting to decide the fate of Mallory Prak, was last night.
Has anyone heard what the out come was?

Cheers Frank.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

ianm67

posted on 11/7/13 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Inconclusive by the looks of things.....

http://www.bikesportnews.com/news-detail.cfm?newstitle=Mallory-Park-future-still-unclear-after-public-meeting&newsid=9817

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

richardm6994

posted on 11/7/13 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
This is a difficult situation which I can see rumbling on for some time yet!

Mallory Park have had a restriction of 92 noisy days a year since 1985.....so this is nothing new to them and they should "cut their cloth accordingly"!

however....

this noisy day limit has never been enforced (mallory have been bending the rules to suit them) until recentlywhen the council began receiving complaints from the locals.

therefore....

the council are now enforcing the 92 day limit and also taking mallory to court regarding the times when they have exceeded this limit during 2012.

and so....

Mallory now want to "change the rules" and increase the limit because they've got use to "bending the rules" regarding this limit.....and obviously this is something the locals don't want.

I have mixed views on this....

Mallory knew the limit and have broken it. It's been in place since 1985 and so is nothing new. Their business plan should take this into account and should not have been based upon them breaking the rules....which is why it could close if they don't get the extra noisy days.

on the other hand...

times are tough and I wouldn't want to see mallory dissappear for the sake of some extra noisy days per year!

[Edited on 11/7/13 by richardm6994]

dhutch

posted on 11/7/13 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardm6994
This is a difficult situation which I can see rumbling on for some time yet!

Mallory Park have had a restriction of 92 noisy days a year since 1985.....so this is nothing new to them and they should "cut their cloth accordingly"!
however....
this noisy day limit has never been enforced
therefore....
the council are now enforcing the 92 day limit
and so....
Mallory now want to "change the rules"

I have mixed views on this....

Mallory knew the limit and have broken it. Their business plan should take this into account
on the other hand...
times are tough and I wouldn't want to see mallory disappear for the sake of some extra noisy days per year!

Sounds very fair review of the situation and largely my own.

Do we have any figures on how many 'noisy days' they ran in 2012 and previous years. Has this number changed much?

What is considered a noisy day, is it day over a certain db limit (if so, what, and has it changed) or is any day with motor racing?

On the surface of it, at two a week, 92 days a year seems quite a few, even if you include a fair number of double header weekends, but thats why I would be interested i what a noisy days is and how many they are use to.

Daniel

richardm6994

posted on 11/7/13 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch

Do we have any figures on how many 'noisy days' they ran in 2012 and previous years. Has this number changed much?

Daniel

They ran 153 noisy days in 2012

nick205

posted on 11/7/13 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Daniel

That would appear to be taking the pi55 and would annoy me if I lived in the vicinity.

richardm6994

posted on 11/7/13 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Mallory are saying they need at least 160 noise days to ensure it's survival.....that's not far off every other day!!

If I bought a house knowing there would be 92 noise days and then the track wanted to nearly double it....I would kick up a stink as well!

I'm a petrol head as much as anyone on here....but my opinion is that the locals are not the one's in the wrong....its the people running mallory park as a buisiness that cannot survive based upon a rule that has been in place 28 years....their survival up to now is because they have been breaking this rule!!
If mallory goes...they are the ones to blame

jeffw

posted on 11/7/13 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember the big issue was the type of event. I believe this was the kicker for the locals when things like JapFest type events where happending at the circuit they had a large number of 'off circuit' incidents as the youths involved proved how fast they are through the Village.

[Edited on 11/7/13 by jeffw]

dhutch

posted on 11/7/13 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Mallory are saying they need at least 160 noise days to ensure it's survival.....that's not far off every other day!!

If I bought a house knowing there would be 92 noise days and then the track wanted to nearly double it....I would kick up a stink as well!

I'm a petrol head as much as anyone on here....but my opinion is that the locals are not the one's in the wrong....its the people running mallory park as a buisiness that cannot survive based upon a rule that has been in place 28 years....their survival up to now is because they have been breaking this rule!!
If mallory goes...they are the ones to blame

Indeed.

If the rule is not being watched, there is passed precedent of increasing the number of events a little, people are not complaining, and its carefully monitored, then to an extent there is an argument that a lot of businesses are run that way, and as long as the business model includes the possibility that at some you may be forced to drop back to 92 a year with out notice, maybe even with some float for being taken to court for breech of the rule, then that's find. But doubling it and not having a contingency plan for if its enforced, is blindness and stupidity.

I would be very sad to loose Mallory, and a bit of a petrol head, am against nimbys, have friends who are earshot of Oulton Park, and hope a solution is met. But also think the organisers are playing the wrong side of a very fine line.

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
I seem to remember the big issue was the type of event. I believe this was the kicker for the locals when things like JapFest type events where happening at the circuit they had a large number of 'off circuit' incidents as the youths involved proved how fast they are through the Village.

This also, is a big no-no clearly, particularly given the nature of the access road.

Daniel

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 11/7/13 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
What baffles me is why Mallory are/were still running half full 105dB trackdays when all of this is going on. We did one in May, there were ~20-30 cars there (very few) and probably only 5 wouldn't have made it through a 98dB limit so they were pissing off the locals for the sake of a half full (low price) trackday were they still would have got 4/5ths of the turnout if it was a (more socially acceptable) 98dB day.

That smacks of wee poor management, they should use the noiy days for big money earners and then run other things at low limits.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
loggyboy

posted on 11/7/13 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Personanlly if you move to a house next to a track you should expect it, regardless of how many 'noisy days' there are.
They should only take complaints from people who have been living in the are BEFORE the track was built (circa 1956).

Even with 92 noisy days, thats pretty much every weekend, so most people would still be effected on anyway as they would be at work during normal days.

Mistral Motorsport

richardm6994

posted on 11/7/13 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Personanlly if you move to a house next to a track you should expect it.

I knew it wouldn't be long before someone came on with that statement.

Please allow me to correct it....
Personally if you move to a house next to a track that has been permitted 92 noisy days since 1985, you should expect 92 noisy days a year.

I'll leave it at that.....other than to say the locals are not complaining about the noise rather the amount of noisy days that the track is allowed....

JoelP

posted on 11/7/13 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Once you've had to put up with noisy nights, noisy days will never seem so bad again.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

owelly

posted on 11/7/13 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Mallory Park Statement

FOLLOWING Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council's vote to accept recommendations to pursue Mallory Park in respect of the 1985 notice on noise (10th July), the circuit has been in contact with the Chief Executive of the Council.

Mallory Park Chairman Peter Chubb said: "HBBC and Mallory Park have agreed to meet as soon as possible next week to re-open the dialogue with a view to establishing a way forwards."

Further information will be released when available.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fha772

posted on 12/7/13 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know what constitutes a "noisy" day?
Would a 98db limited track day count?
If not, then that could be the way forward for Mallory.
I'm assuming I doesn't count as noisy, or what would be the point of the sound limit...

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

gaz_gaz

posted on 12/7/13 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Daniel

Are you sure it's 153 noisy days?
I read the Council received 153 complaints.

coyoteboy

posted on 12/7/13 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Personanlly if you move to a house next to a track you should expect it, regardless of how many 'noisy days' there are.

Disagree. If you move to a house near a track /train line/airport you accept some noise. You accept the noise levels set by the current regulations and you expect it to be enforced (partly because if you haven't lived there for years you don't know how badly the effect will be and the regs are there to provide sane limits). If anyone wants to increase that you have a perfect right to have a say in the matter, be it a track, a train line or an airport. It might get overruled by a body who wishes to put one side first but you that's the correct process by which such increases are agreed. Without processes and rules you have anarchy, generally ruled by the loudest and richest.

owelly

posted on 20/7/13 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
So, Mallorys management are hoping that taking the hair-pin off the circuit will help with reducing the complaints. Good luck with that...

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SCAR

posted on 20/7/13 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Mallory without the hairpin secton, wouldn't that just be a roundabout?
MikeR

posted on 20/7/13 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
for a bike they have some additional bends. if its for all days it will be the end of cars there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.