Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering coupling
Micael

posted on 14/10/04 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Steering coupling

Hi!
Does anyond know where I can get this coupling (see attached file)? I have one almost identical but it dosen't have the bolt and splines on the lower end. Also where can I get an lower steering colum with suitible splines in each end? The swedish SVA (SFRO) don't like welded steering colums, so I need one in one piece. Rescued attachment DSC00253.jpg
Rescued attachment DSC00253.jpg

Micael Moose Åman

Petrolhead and all around nice guy

"Don't leave the duck there. It's totally irresponsible. Put it on the swing, it'll have much more fun." //Sleep Talkin Man Dec 23 2009

Mark Allanson

posted on 14/10/04 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I've never seen anything like it, although it does look like it is designed to fit a Ford steering column with the triangular input. May be worth a trip to the scrapyard and look at some Granada's?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

James

posted on 14/10/04 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have a feeling (though I may be imagining it) that it's the bottom part from a power steering column on either a DOHC or a CVH.
It looks distinctly similar to the Sierras I was poking around in the scrappy recently. They were all either DOHC or CVH and had power steering.

Hope that helps,

James

[Edited on 14/10/04 by James]

Micael

posted on 14/10/04 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
It might be worth a visit to the scrappy then

Micael Moose Åman

"Don't leave the duck there. It's totally irresponsible. Put it on the swing, it'll have much more fun." //Sleep Talkin Man Dec 23 2009

Hasse

posted on 15/10/04 at 05:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hello Micael,
Dont know from which car the coupling comes, but it should not be a problem to pass SFRO with a well executed welding job on the steering shaft. I know at least 5 cars with welded shafts. All passed.
/Hasse

theconrodkid

posted on 15/10/04 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
most factoty produced shafts are just friction welded i drilled and pinned mine prior to welding,used a brake pad retaining pin from a vauxhall

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Micael

posted on 15/10/04 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hasse
Hello Micael,
Dont know from which car the coupling comes, but it should not be a problem to pass SFRO with a well executed welding job on the steering shaft. I know at least 5 cars with welded shafts. All passed.
/Hasse

I know and that is the problem.
Diffrent SFRO guys has diffrent opinion about this. The one I spoked to didn't like welded colums.
It's the same with poly bushes in the traling arms. Some SFRO guys accept it and some don't.

However, the space around the lower coupling is so limited that I can't weld a tube around the colum. The only weld i can do is what we call in Sweden a "stumsvets". Basically this means that you weld orginal colum end to end to the new colum.

The best thing to do would be to build a homgenous colum with splines in each end and use the coupling on the picture.

[Edited on 15/10/04 by Micael]

Micael Moose Åman

Rob Lane

posted on 15/10/04 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
That looks like a steering coupling from a Transit van. The 90's Transits had 3 I think in the steering lineup.

I well remember looking at the down link from column through bulkhead and thinking it was a nice joint with an acute angle of operation.

(Just re-read that, it sounds suggestive somehow)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.