Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Holiday to Greece
cerbera

posted on 19/7/13 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
Holiday to Greece

Off to the sunny isle of Kos shortly and instead of taking travel money I ususally just take cash out of the ATM.

Just thinking about the finantial crisis that's going on over there at the moment, is not taking cash / travellers cheques a silly idea or have people been recently and been okay withdrawing from ATMs?

TimC

posted on 19/7/13 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Good Question. Booked to go last night.

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/7/13 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
The most important thing is to remember to bring a collapsible wheel barrow to carry the cash for your loaf of bread
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 19/7/13 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
No problems with Cash machines in Corfu last month, hopefully none in Zakynthos in Sept.

I found prices had dropped quite a lot from 2012.

If you generally use credit cards in restraunts, be careful as a lot have stopped accepting them, no prizes for guessing why.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Smoking Frog

posted on 19/7/13 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe I'm missing something but the euro will still buy you the same on the day (which may well have been less the day before) weather you take it with you or get cash withdrawals. I would take a few euros with me (300) and use the ATM's. Nice place I liked it, although a bit hot for me.
loggyboy

posted on 19/7/13 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Dont most banks charge for using ATMs abroad, and usually offer worse rates? Better off taking the majority of cash with you and sticking it a safe in the room. If you take too much, some places offer buy back at identical rates for a very small charge (£3 IIRC).

Mistral Motorsport

cerbera

posted on 19/7/13 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the answers guys.

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Dont most banks charge for using ATMs abroad, and usually offer worse rates? Better off taking the majority of cash with you and sticking it a safe in the room. If you take too much, some places offer buy back at identical rates for a very small charge (£3 IIRC).

I use the Halifax clarity card and they don't charge for cash withdrawals abroad although they do charge interest on cash withdrawals from the day of withdrawal. That said, I pay my bill as soon as I get home and usually only get charged a couple of quid interest. Plus you get bank exchange rates instead of travellers which is, according to Martin Lewis, better.

[Edited on 19/7/13 by cerbera]

cryoman1965

posted on 19/7/13 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I have a pre load card. FX Card. You pre load the card with euros before you go so the rate is already paid. We never got charged at an atm although it was in Tenerife. Other pre pay cards are available. Google top ten prepay for what's around. Getting one is a quick process. Hth Nigel
olimarler

posted on 19/7/13 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
No problems with Cash machines in Corfu last month, hopefully none in Zakynthos in Sept.

I found prices had dropped quite a lot from 2012.

If you generally use credit cards in restraunts, be careful as a lot have stopped accepting them, no prizes for guessing why.....

I'm out in Zakynthos at my mates place.

Got cash out no problem at all.

If you want any recommendations where to go drop me a PM

Have a fun one

Agriv8

posted on 19/7/13 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cryoman1965
I have a pre load card. FX Card. You pre load the card with euros before you go so the rate is already paid. We never got charged at an atm although it was in Tenerife. Other pre pay cards are available. Google top ten prepay for what's around. Getting one is a quick process. Hth Nigel

Another fan here of this method but edit to add you can top up online after SWMBO has decided to hit the shops ! We did bet charged with this in france last year at supermarket cash machines.

ATB agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

David Jenkins

posted on 21/7/13 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I'm off to Italy at the end of the week - looking at a few currency exchange sites they're warning that traveller's cheques aren't welcome in several European countries, including Italy. Can't remember the others, but it's a fair bet that it'll be those that are in financial difficulty at the moment (Italy, Spain, Greece, etc.)

cerbera

posted on 25/7/13 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Now in sunny Kos and can confirm no problems in using the ATM's, thankfully or else I'd have no money
The ATM's just seem to few and far between at the moment.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.