Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: chassis weight
syber

posted on 29/9/02 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
chassis weight

how heavie is the chassis of ron champion book?
UncleFista

posted on 29/9/02 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody heavy !

If the photo of Ron holding the chassis up is making you wonder, don't bother, the one he's holding up is made of aluminium

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Jasper

posted on 29/9/02 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Got my floor pan in now and can just lift it off the ground - usually just drag it around now!! but the wheels will be on very soon, oooooh yesssss.....
James

posted on 30/9/02 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
That picture worried me for awhile. Expecially when I ordered the final 2/3 of my chassis steel and the invoice said it was 40Kg as opposed to that picture saying the whole thing is 36Lb.

Just put it down to another example of the wonderful level of accuracy shown in the book.

James

Dunc

posted on 30/9/02 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
The bare chassis with floor panel and brackets etc in mild steel weighs about 46kg. Don't believe the book. The truth is out there.
Highcost builder

posted on 30/9/02 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
and i thought i'd used to much welding wire or something because i can lift a fair weight, i certainly couldnt lift mine like Ron (worlds strongest man) champion.

The book may be wrong or misleading in places but the mans a star, if it wasnt for him i wouldnt own a nearly finished 7.

dougal

posted on 1/10/02 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
still that is only the difference between a pinto and a k-series
kingr

posted on 1/10/02 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
I thought that picture of him holding the chassis looked a bit odd, the metal is too shiny, and if I remember rightly the tubing is noticeably larger than normal. Nice to have an answer. Very odd that they decided to include that photo, since I don't recall any reference to ali tubing in the text at all.

Kingr

johnston

posted on 1/10/02 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
talkin of alli how easy/difficult is it too use it for the chassis

stephen_gusterson

posted on 1/10/02 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
still that is only the difference between a pinto and a k-series

or, put another way, 7 - 10% more weight, if you are building a slimmed down car.

atb

steve

stephen_gusterson

posted on 1/10/02 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I thought that picture of him holding the chassis looked a bit odd, the metal is too shiny, and if I remember rightly the tubing is noticeably larger than normal. Nice to have an answer. Very odd that they decided to include that photo, since I don't recall any reference to ali tubing in the text at all.

Kingr

In my view a totally pointless bit of bull^Git that is just misleading. Just like the book title. Thanks Ron for the inspiration, but i dont read your book a lot.

atb

steve

Alan B

posted on 1/10/02 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you are an experienced ali welder, forget it!
Even if you are it isn't a good idea IMO

quote:
talkin of alli how easy/difficult is it too use it for the chassis

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 1/10/02 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

In my view a totally pointless bit of bull^Git that is just misleading. Just like the book title. Thanks Ron for the inspiration, but i dont read your book a lot........

100% agree Steve.

Inspiration? Yes, without a doubt. Thanks Ron.

Accurate guide to building a car? Is it nutsack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
philgregson

posted on 2/10/02 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I may be wrong here 'cos I don't have the book (first book) in front of me, but I seem to remember the picture of Ron holding the chasis is a long way from a complete chasis.
When mine was in the state that I seem to remember his was in I could pick mine up too (and I am as wimpy as you like).
I know that the mighty tome is not short on the error front, but I think conspiracy theories about aluminium chassis just to con us are possibly going a bit far.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 2/10/02 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
just to be picky, its actually a very young looking ron junior holding it and yes, there isnt a lot of it there. It doenst look like bright alu and it claims 20lb which is even more silly!

atb

steve

jimmy

posted on 3/10/02 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
To use aluminium for chassis construction you will need a TIG, AC,welder preferably with high frequency starting, SIP do a 240v tig AC/DC ideal for aluminium/stainless steel but for over a grand!
Aluminium isn't cheap either, but ace to work with because it is fairly soft and easily cut on a chop saw with correct blade.
Should make for a very light/strong chassis. But at a cost!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/10/02 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
problem is, you go to all that trouble, and then use a set of front uprights from a ford that weigh more than the chasis.

The wheels and hubs are a major factor - dont concentrate on the chassis and forget its only a small part of a relatively heavy whole.

atb

steve

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.