Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MIG welding Aluminium - how easy or hard is it?
nick205

posted on 28/7/13 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
MIG welding Aluminium - how easy or hard is it?

Who's had a go at MIG welding Aluminium then?

Is it harder than doing steel and any tips for prepping the metal before welding?

Will Argoshield gas be OK or do you really need pure Argon?

blakep82

posted on 28/7/13 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
I tried it when I first got my "new" welder
You'll need the teflon liner. The standard liners are too sticky, so you end up with the rollers scrunching up the wire and snapping it every 30cm or so, also for the few mm you do get from it, I just ended up with balls of aluminium rolling about, with no actual weld taking place, so I just kinda decided not to carry on, and find someone who can tig stuff for me instead.
With practise, it works, but I just didn't put the time in. Maybe I'll try again another time. You do need argon though, and I think much higher wire speed, and lower power

[Edited on 28/7/13 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

macc man

posted on 28/7/13 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I tried it a few years back with little success. The metal just balls up and clogs the tip. You need to go up a size on the tip bore from the wire diameter. Gave it up as a futile effort. Tig welding alloy is far more sucessfull. Good luck.
Davey D

posted on 28/7/13 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I do plenty of aluminium welding at work. We have a 400amp push pull esab mig unit.
Aluminium mig welding is quite fierce, and messy. Best for covering big distances on thicker material. About 6 months ago we bought a new 310amp water cooler ac\dc tig welder. The alu mig welder is now just gathering dust, and I doubt I will use it again unless I really have to

jacko

posted on 28/7/13 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
yep i do it not so much now a days i use to make prison vans and the inside are mainly alloy + i use to weld alloy floors in 40ft trailers etc

As Davey says you need a big amp welder and all the kit to go with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 28/7/13 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
aluminium welding regardless of mig/tig will always require more amps than the same thickness steel. on a 150amp mig 2-3mm ali on max power is about all you will manage on a really good day

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

mark chandler

posted on 28/7/13 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
I tried Ali on a hobby welder, Clarke 150te... Hopeless with new liner, 0.5 wire, argon can etc. okay to stick metal together but the finish was not at all good.

So from my experience its a reasonable way to tack something together then get TIG,ed up by someone else.

nick205

posted on 28/7/13 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Perfect - that's confirmed my suspicions 100% - I'll stick with steel and leave the Ally

Bare

posted on 28/7/13 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Years ago I witnessed an old guy (relative) weld thin sheet ali 20 Gauge(?) with an Oxy acetylene torch.
He just butted the sheets used an ali rod and simply welded them together . A perfect bead too... amazing to see.
I asked how !?.. he replied it was dead easy, after 30 years experience :-)

rusty nuts

posted on 28/7/13 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare
Years ago I witnessed an old guy (relative) weld thin sheet ali 20 Gauge(?) with an Oxy acetylene torch.
He just butted the sheets used an ali rod and simply welded them together . A perfect bead too... amazing to see.

I saw Trev D do it once, he made it look simple but then again he'd had a lifetime doing it

jacko

posted on 28/7/13 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare

I did not see you watching me
In my job we do o/a alloy welding as the Old gent said its practice

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.