Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Radiator Fan Advice please
karlak

posted on 3/8/13 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Radiator Fan Advice please

The MK Indy was built with a manual switch for the Radiator Fan. This is on the Dashboard and simply allows me to turn the fan on and off.

I never got round to putting in a temp switch as the previous radiator didn't allow for it, but now the car has had a pretty big overhaul, I could now run the Fan when required using the Omex 600.

I have a Relay so I can use the "sense" wire from the Omex, but am just wondering whether it may be worth keeping the manual switch in place as well ? Or if that is even possible. Would it be worth just removing the manual switch wiring altogether and let the Omex do its thing ?

Any advice or guidance? A little wiring diagram suggestion would be handy as well. Something I must do today is chase the manual switch wiring, because I am not sure how that has been wired in.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

Davey D

posted on 3/8/13 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Mine comes in either by the thermo switch in the radiator, or by a manual switch. Normally the fan will be controlled by a relay which is switched by your manual switch. All you will need to do is run another set of wires from your thermo sensor to the relay to make it switch on
adithorp

posted on 3/8/13 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Having it switched by the ECU or a thermo' switch in the rad is preferable. Then you can't fail to spot the temp rising and not switch the fan on.

I'd still keep the manual switch though. That gives you the option to switch it on at times when heat soak could cause temps to rise rapidly. I use mine when finishing a session on track or stopping to look at the view after blatting up a mountain.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

40inches

posted on 3/8/13 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Having it switched by the ECU or a thermo' switch in the rad is preferable. Then you can't fail to spot the temp rising and not switch the fan on.

I'd still keep the manual switch though. That gives you the option to switch it on at times when heat soak could cause temps to rise rapidly. I use mine when finishing a session on track or stopping to look at the view after blatting up a mountain.

Heat soak can be a PITA, although the ZX9 switches the fan on for 30 secs after the ignition is turned off, if the engine is hot, I
assume this is built into the ECU?

Worzey

posted on 4/8/13 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
Did a recent upgrade on mine and ended up with an Omex 600. I replaced the manual switch and now let the Omex do the work for me. I believe the Omex 600 has a secondary fan wire for engine bay fans. If heat soak is an issue you can use this to remove heat but i found cutting a hole in the side panel was just as effective.

I had problems with the manual fan....biggest issue was when the local MOT station left the engine running while checking the emission levels and lights. Dumped the contents of the rad all over the garage floor. I should have turned the fan on before i left them the keys.

Caterham R400

karlak

posted on 4/8/13 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys,

I will check the wiring on the manual switch and decide which way to go from there.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

snowy2

posted on 4/8/13 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
search my article on here "how to rewire your car the easy way" it includes a separate article on fitting an over ride switch even if using a relay on the fan.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

Scuzzle

posted on 4/8/13 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
I run my fan off the Davis Craig Electric Water Pump Controller which is a smart bit of kit, fan comes on at 5 deg after whatever temp I set the cooling system to, if the engine is at or above temp when I switch the car off the water pump and fan run on for 2 minutes to give it a nice even cool down.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.