Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Whereabouts to test my car Pre-IVA...?
Toprivetguns

posted on 14/8/13 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Whereabouts to test my car Pre-IVA...?

Evening Gents,

Im living in the north Herts area.

Any ideas/ recommendations where I can test my car Pre-IVA? For example private grounds, airfields etc?

Would like to iron out all the self centering issues and listen for squeaks or rattles.

Cheers

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

fesycresy

posted on 14/8/13 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Can you legally drive it to a friendly MOT station?

Or is it just the IVA you can drive to?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

matt_gsxr

posted on 14/8/13 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Trailer it to a empty car park (hospital staff parking at weekend perhaps).
Drive carefully and be polite/apologetic if they kick you off.

Probably not legal, but not doing anyone any harm.

loggyboy

posted on 14/8/13 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr

Law changed about 20yrs ago, you can still get done if the space is open to the public, you need some closed private land. Why not book a cheap airfield track day or evening?

Mistral Motorsport

Davegtst

posted on 14/8/13 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
If the road is assessable to the public it is classed as a road. Even if it is a disused, empty carpark you can still get nicked.
jps

posted on 14/8/13 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
not necessarily, which is why you see roads with ' no rights shall acrue beyond this point' on the street name signs...

if you can find a remote car park or access road somewhere, don't cause a nuisance and have someone to lookout for 'de law' I can't imagine you'll end up in trouble. a rural business park on a Sunday morning would presumably be a good bet?

perksy

posted on 14/8/13 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Don't take it to an NHS hospital car park or you'll probably get a visit from the boys in blue (trust me on this one)

If you can trailer it somewhere in the middle of nowhere. you'll be better off. (friendly farmer etc ?)

theprisioner

posted on 15/8/13 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
I used a Hill Climb track, possibly not many in your part of the world but there will be Sprint Tracks. To get on you usually need to join which in my case was £20. I trailered it (I have a trailer) to hire one £40/day.

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

pekwah1

posted on 15/8/13 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
I drove my car to an MOT before the IVA, was very useful and pointed out some issues before D-Day!
As it goes, the MOT garage was not able to complete the test anyway due to their equipment so that was a bonus not having to pay the £50 MOT fee either!

loggyboy

posted on 15/8/13 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
I drove my car to an MOT before the IVA, was very useful and pointed out some issues before D-Day!
As it goes, the MOT garage was not able to complete the test anyway due to their equipment so that was a bonus not having to pay the £50 MOT fee either!

Playing devils advocate - How would they have applied it to anything anyway, as the car had no registration?!
Which in turn makes it impossible to book for an MoT and therefore technically impossible to legally drive to the prebooked MoT!

Mistral Motorsport

matt_gsxr

posted on 15/8/13 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
quote:

Don't take it to an NHS hospital car park or you'll probably get a visit from the boys in blue (trust me on this one)

If you can trailer it somewhere in the middle of nowhere. you'll be better off. (friendly farmer etc ?)

I guess 'my friend' was lucky.

pekwah1

posted on 15/8/13 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
i had prebooked an mot fine, chatted to the guy before and he said he could do the MOT but would have to enter a new record himself.
As it goes he got a bit confused of how to do it but not because of the lack of registration plate as he could use the chassis number as long as it was permanently stamped on the chassis

Toprivetguns

posted on 15/8/13 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

I was already caught in a big carpark which i assumed was private.
The Policeman was very understanding and I cannot say enough thanks, he left me off..!
Very close.

johnH20

posted on 15/8/13 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
There is a circuit at or close to Bovingdon aerodrome that might be accessible to you. I know they run experience days there although I have not been myself. Russ Bost on here has demonstrated his car there. If you manage it perhaps you could let the rest of us know.
theprisioner

posted on 15/8/13 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
You can book and process a MoT on a Chassis No, done it, and it was very useful. You can get insurance on a chassis number also. The crime is driving to the MoT station with or without an appointment. I took the risk and it was worth it. The only legal way is with a trailer. If you were stopped at least the charge sheet would be shorter with insurance and an appointment. After passing the MoT one less item.

[Edited on 15/8/13 by theprisioner]

pekwah1

posted on 15/8/13 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
i was told by DVLA/VOSA that i was allowed to drive to and from the MOT as long as i had a booked appointment and insurance
theprisioner

posted on 15/8/13 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
The DVLA people told me this but I have subsequently found that advice is wrong. Mr plod I doubt would be interested cos basically if you don't have a tax disc and your car is not registered you are breaking the law. Anybody tells you different then they are misinformed. Whether Mr Plod would book you would depend on how much he thought you were taking the piss.

loggyboy

posted on 15/8/13 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
i was told by DVLA/VOSA that i was allowed to drive to and from the MOT as long as i had a booked appointment and insurance

That is correct.

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 15/8/13 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theprisioner
The DVLA people told me this but I have subsequently found that advice is wrong. Mr plod I doubt would be interested cos basically if you don't have a tax disc and your car is not registered you are breaking the law. Anybody tells you different then they are misinformed. Whether Mr Plod would book you would depend on how much he thought you were taking the piss.

I think in court the gov website would be a good enough defence:

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot

If your MOT has expired
You can’t drive your vehicle on the road if the MOT has expired. You could be prosecuted if caught.

The only exception is if you’ve already booked an MOT and are driving your vehicle to the test centre.

As your point is made about a car that is not registered, there is also this gem in the IVA guideance
Obviously aimed at imported cars, but still valid as in imported unregistered car, is still an unregsitered car!
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/209278/guide-to-the-iva-scheme.pdf

After arrival, the only circumstances in which you can drive the vehicle before completing the registration
and licensing formalities are to and from a pre-arranged IVA and/or MoT test and to and from a garage
for remedial work following failure to pass the inspection. Other than in these situations, the vehicle
must not be used on the road until the licensing and registration formalities have been completed.

and futher to that:

Use of the vehicle
Please remember that until the vehicle has been licensed and registered by DVLA, it may only be
driven to and from the above test appointment or, if the vehicle fails the examination, to and from a
pre-booked appointment to have relevant work done on the vehicle to allow it to pass the examination.
The presenter is responsible for ensuring that the vehicle has insurance cover and that it complies with
the requirements of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations and Road Vehicles Lighting
Regulations when driven under these circumstances.

[Edited on 15-8-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

coyoteboy

posted on 15/8/13 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The crime is driving to the MoT station with or without an appointment.

Sorry, that's nonsense. You can drive to an MOT centre without a valid MOT or Tax providing you have insurance.

Toprivetguns

posted on 15/8/13 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnH20
There is a circuit at or close to Bovingdon aerodrome that might be accessible to you. I know they run experience days there although I have not been myself. Russ Bost on here has demonstrated his car there. If you manage it perhaps you could let the rest of us know.

Thanks, will try that. Would be good to get a saturday with a few of us there to share common problems or share ideas.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.