Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Beginners Guide to Compressors?
daveb666

posted on 28/8/13 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Beginners Guide to Compressors?

I've decided after not ever having one that I'm probably in a position to buy a compressor and get me some air-tools.

The compressor would only have occasional use (maybe once or twice a week) for use with air-saws, air guns/spanners etc and never be used for painting, ever.

What sort of size/power of compressor would I need? I'm ideally going to look for a second-hand one if I can find a decent one.

T66

posted on 28/8/13 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
My compressor is a hobby jobby (SIP) and didnt produce enough air to run my nibbler decently.

It gets used for blowing tyres up, my air riveter and cleaning stuff and thats about it. I now have an 240v nibbler and manage with the grinder/dremmel/handsaw for cutting. It will get some use once I start painting, if it produces enough CFM.

If you have room for big then go big, if your shy on space you might want to ask yourself what exactly you intend using it for. Mine gets in the way 99% of the time, and electric tools are simpler to put away.

mark chandler

posted on 28/8/13 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
As big as you can get, with compressors size is everything. 3hp will run a rattly gun but not anything that needs constant air such as a die grinder, mini grinder, air saw, nibblers etc?

Having a big tank will help address shortfalls, you could plumb in an old gas cylinder to increase column.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 28/8/13 by mark chandler]

neilp1

posted on 28/8/13 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
After having tried a 24lt 1.5 hp & a 50lt 2 hp compressor I bought a SIP 100lt 3 hp belt dive compressor and I have to admit what a difference. I would have bought the 150lt one but don't have the space.
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 28/8/13 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
The small direct drive compressors are wonderful things if you want portability, or need the space when it can be wheeled/carried away. They'll run virtually all your tools, but not continually. They do, however, make a noise. This will incurr noise abatement orders when your neighbours complain.

The belt drive variety, like the big 3HP Clarke compressor are very quiet, produce vast amounts of air, but take up vast amounts of permanent space. Mine lives in the bedroom, with 28mm plumbing externally (via a dew point drier) to the garage. The heat is enough to keep the bedroom free of damp in the winter. You'll need a good 16A feed.

big_wasa

posted on 28/8/13 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Once the novelty has worn of and you have sheared a few fastners you will end up just using hand tools for the car.

Mine is a 3hp belt driven and think a 150L tank and it will do most things bar run a shot blast cabinet continuously.

jossey

posted on 28/8/13 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neilp1
After having tried a 24lt 1.5 hp & a 50lt 2 hp compressor I bought a SIP 100lt 3 hp belt dive compressor and I have to admit what a difference. I would have bought the 150lt one but don't have the space.

I did the same ad Neil.
£100 bought 1st compressor sold few month later for £50 ....24 ltr
Second bought for £160 sold for £80 about 3 months later cos it didn't run my nibbler or spray more than a 3rd of a car... 50 ltr....
Then got sip 150 ltr 3hp n it does all I needed plus got it for £250 second hand

Would not get rid or change for anything. It fits under my racking so takes up litte space and it runs everything I have plus I bought a retractable reel which Was cheap and gives me 25mtr movement from the garage. Great for tyre inflation , air bed, jet washing drive etc...

Just check the oil regularly and empty the water out occasionally...

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bare

posted on 28/8/13 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
In my part of the world Compressors are listed rated at CFM @90 psi as the primary performance determiner.
A spray gun Needs a Mininmum 4 cfm to operate, A useable sandblast cabinet requires 20 cfm Min :-).
Again more is better. Duty cycle is important Real use drains the tank .. quickly.. so bigger can be better as it has a bigger reserve . The motor has to run to refill the tank.FEW units are rated to run 100% of the time refilling that reservoir.
Most DIY types are at 20/30% duty cycle. Then there's Noise.
Cheap units are horrifically loud. Cast iron pumps are best as are belt driven ones.
On and on.
Quality comes with quickly increasing costs, Plus the reality that once owned, the thing will get used far less than initially anticipated .

MikeR

posted on 28/8/13 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 1.5 and 2.0 hp compressors. I never use them. you think you will, occasionally do for stubborn bolts but that's it. buy electric versions -far easier and more useful in my eyes.
Bluemoon

posted on 29/8/13 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I have a 1.5 and 2.0 hp compressors. I never use them. you think you will, occasionally do for stubborn bolts but that's it. buy electric versions -far easier and more useful in my eyes.

Do take note of the a above find mine handy but it's probably not essential, you maybe better off spending money on somthing else. Electric tools are very good for DIY. Having said this I like the air drill and use this for drilling all the rivet holes works really well for this purpose, great for inflating tires and blowing dust etc from work pieces, bit of airbrushing etc..

I use two Alidi compressors, these were a bargain at 60quid including some basic tools, not bad at all. Some people have had problems with these units, but they do come with a 3 year warranty and look the same as much more expensive units solid by other suppliers, it is also possible to by a re-valve kit. I think they have gone up in price. I plumed the high preasure sides together (they have a high unregulated connection as well as a regulator) so I have in effect 50ltr >3hp unit for 120Quid, it's nosey but I have a choice of running one or two compressors depending on what I am doing..

Cheers

Dan

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.