Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Would I build another mnr
snakebelly

posted on 1/9/13 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Have to agree that dealing with Mark and Chris is like chalk and cheese, the couple of times i spoke to them in the past re racelada stuff Mark was very helpful unfortunately i found Chris brusque bordering on rude, that said they turn out good stuff by all accounts.
Fencewrecker

posted on 3/9/13 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have just read all this, frankly it sounds like someone with a grudge, or as is often found a "tyre kicker". I agree that Chris can be brisk (he is a busy man. However, MNR are a quality company with a quality range of products that are enjoyed by many.

I have built one of there cars, both Mark, Chris and there team have been very helpful, supportive, and indeed open to suggestions. It is the 4th car I have built the 3rd of my own (ranging from a Cobra to a Tiger to a Vincent). So would I build another Vortx, YES.

If you want a trouble free process to get a car on the road buy a tin top! If you want a cheap car try "ToysRUs" there Dinky range my 5 year old says is very good.

If you want to be involved in the process of creating your own unique road and track car, then there are going to be pitfalls, but its worth it. So stop getting personal about people and lets enjoy our cars.

markyb

posted on 3/9/13 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I realised early on that Marc was the builder with all the technical info whilst Chris was the salesman so I always knew who to go to depending on my particular issue during the build.

Three years after building my car I had a query and Marc made time on several occasions to help me via email and then more time on the phone until the issue was resolved - not many businesses these days provide that sort of aftercare

I can only speak from my own experience but I would have no qualms about builing another MNR

daniel mason

posted on 3/9/13 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
i feel the same. im not knocking the o/p as everyones issues are different but i feel i got nothing short of incredible service from the guys up there.
i also agree that chris is brisk! but so what? hes a buisness man whos extremely busy and constantly has people phoning him with technical questions. chris runs the office/paperwork side of the business on his own whils marcs in the workshop building cars.
youll get the same kind of response asking chris with anything majorly techical (obviously he knows the cars) as you would asking marc on paperwork matters etc.
thats why in my opinion they are a great team.chris is good at what he does and marc is good at what he does. theres no point running a buisness like this with mechanics only and likewise with people with only office skills. each to their own i suppose!

big_l

posted on 4/9/13 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
MR T you must be a be a very hard man to please !

I cannot fault MNR In any way theve always bent over backwards to help me all the way through my build and are always there if I'm stick on something
And the quality of there stuff speaks for its self !

I'm sure if your not happy the best thing to do is call Chris and mark direct and not slag them of on a public forum

The reason MNR Like all there cars on new registration plates is it keeps the value of the cars higher for everyone
They do it to try and look after our investment ....

Chris may sometimes come across a bit harsh
But that's how he is.

You shoukd see how he is with all the owners at shows
Providing free beer and food to anyone even my family tucked in the the Newark BBQ lol
Not to mention the gannets that are the northern roadsters !!

I'm sure over time you will realise how good MNR'S backup really is ...

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

loggyboy

posted on 4/9/13 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_l
The reason MNR Like all there cars on new registration plates is it keeps the value of the cars higher for everyone
They do it to try and look after our investment ....

Rubbish, its just being snobs. Besides they are happy to use donor registration age, if I used an C reg donor sierra it would look no worse than a Q plate.

Mistral Motorsport

big_l

posted on 4/9/13 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not looking for an argument

But a c registration would allow you to put a private reg on it and also if you ever wanted to export the car to another country !

Therefore making the cars more desirable and therefore worth more ...

[Edited on 4/9/13 by big_l]

adithorp

posted on 4/9/13 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I have no connection or dealings with MNR (other than finding it very hard work trying to discuss their reverse box with Chris a couple of years ago at Newark... and being virtually ignored) but I find this interesting all the same.

quote:

But that's how he is.

So does that make it all this OK...

"Unhelpfull, Lie, Bullshit, Male Chicken, Brusque, Rude, Snob"

Just a few of the words used by various people in this thread. Hardly words to describe a good "salesman" that he's also been described as.

If this had been an anti-MK thread, how many of the pro-MNR posters would have piped up saying you should have built an MNR and happily joined in slagging off MK (and pro-MK posters)? People often accuse MK of treating some customers differenly from others. From what I read in this thread you could come to the conclution MNR are perhaps guilty of the same.

How many MNR owners are there out there, who feel they need to keep quiet for an easy life when they need parts or services in future?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

big_l

posted on 4/9/13 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
I think this is getting a bit personal tbh and totally unjust

Chris is a really good guy and is always willing to help in my experience !

Not saying anyone is perfect all the time.
Do you honestly think that there is any company on the kit car industry that will please everyone ??

I just don't think it's fair to personally attack people on a public forum !

adithorp

posted on 4/9/13 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
So why did you use 'k**b jocky' tofinish your first sentence i(now edited) in reply to loggy boy. appology due i'd say

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

franky

posted on 4/9/13 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I have no connection or dealings with MNR (other than finding it very hard work trying to discuss their reverse box with Chris a couple of years ago at Newark... and being virtually ignored) but I find this interesting all the same.

quote:

But that's how he is.

So does that make it all this OK...

"Unhelpfull, Lie, Bullshit, Male Chicken, Brusque, Rude, Snob"

Just a few of the words used by various people in this thread. Hardly words to describe a good "salesman" that he's also been described as.

If this had been an anti-MK thread, how many of the pro-MNR posters would have piped up saying you should have built an MNR and happily joined in slagging off MK (and pro-MK posters)? People often accuse MK of treating some customers differenly from others. From what I read in this thread you could come to the conclution MNR are perhaps guilty of the same.

How many MNR owners are there out there, who feel they need to keep quiet for an easy life when they need parts or services in future?

Very true. I don't see how/why MNR values are higher than any other kit? They all seem to sell for about the same amount don't they?

I imagine if you buy lots of bits off them they will be nice to you as you're keep giving them money.

silky16v

posted on 4/9/13 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Can't Fault Chris TBH whenever i've rang he's been most helpful,
I've only owned a MNR never bought a thing off them

I even last minute couple of weeks ago asked if i could visit the factory, he welcomed myself and wife gave an hr of his time to show us around and for me to look at a MX5 based MNR, couldn't be more helpful and friendly

fingers crossed i'll be back in the spring to look at purchasing a brand new MNR

big_l

posted on 4/9/13 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Fair play adithorp I was out of order using knob jockey

But I'm not stupid and I realised that myself before anyone commented and edited it

I just think its proper harsh saying nasty and hurtful things about someone who reads this forum.

And I don't think that is acceptable either!

gaz_gaz

posted on 4/9/13 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my MNR already built.
Rang Chris while viewing the car to ask some advice and he told me the builder was an idiot and he could do me a turn key build for 17k.

I purchased the car anyway and everything was ok until broken rear wishbone mounts became frequent and MNR didnt want to know when I asked about taking it for repair.
I then broke a front wishbone (my fault)
Rang to ask for a replacement , was told I had to send the old 1 back and it would be copied as the design had changed but was going to be upto 12 weeks as they where busy building new cars and racing.

MK sorted me out in 10 days and half the price for a pair. They even came with new bushes that I hadn't asked for.

I did ring up for a price to swap my R1 for a CBR1000rr and Chris was really friendly and helpful. Reponded to emails quickly and sent quotes as promised so can't fault him for that.

I don't think I would build an MNR
Probably MK Indy RR for me. Went and seen Danny at Blyton and despite problems with his own cars clutch he found time for a chat and used another MK that was there for a few hot laps. Responds to my many requests for prices and has called back when he says he will.

RichardK

posted on 4/9/13 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
My experience of MNR has always been great, I was building a scratch build Locost and I sent them a plan of my roll bar and Marc made some suggestions and made me a kit that I could weld together.

Always been friendly when possible at shows and stuff but obviously busy which is why Chris can sometimes come across as curt but I'd say maybe out of the 20 or so times we've met he's been that busy maybe twice when at shows. However his tea making skills are pretty w@nk

However Marc is a legend and they make good stuff, they do have a great reputation within the industry which takes years to build up so can't be that bad but they are also human too, however I suspect that their is another side to this story, maybe we'll find out maybe not, tbh I don't really care, I will alway go by my own personal experiences over somebody else's any day.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 4/9/13 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Not in the market for a kit and neither have I ever needed to pick the phone up to speak to them, but........there's always a but

The olny time I have ever bumped into them was at Cadwell couple of years ago, I broke my gear lever, would have been on trailer had it not been for their help so my one and olny experience is very positive. Thanks Marc.

loggyboy

posted on 4/9/13 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Fair play adithorp I was out of order using knob jockey

But I'm not stupid and I realised that myself before anyone commented and edited it

I just think its proper harsh saying nasty and hurtful things about someone who reads this forum.

And I don't think that is acceptable either!

I did read it before the edit but didn't bite! lol

I dont mind a bit of banter - ive been called worse!

I dont beleive a car on a Q cant be exported anyway?

[Edited on 4-9-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

sonic

posted on 4/9/13 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
My dealings with MNR many moons ago have all been posotive, i do think Chris probabley takes to much on and could do with help at times.

My only negative was many years ago i was passing and went to pick up a part, i was suited and booted in my best work suit and the bloody dogs went mad jumping all over me, mud all over! i wasn't impressed at the time and it cost me a dry clean. I do like dog's though so morral of story don't go suited and booted on a bad weather day

troop

posted on 4/9/13 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, thought I would put my tuppence worth in....I have been building an Mnr since nov of last year and I really can't fault Mnr! I certainly wouldn't say Chris is rude or arrogant etc, I would say he is very well spoken and professional , (which maybe taken the wrong way depending where your from)I have brought my car in stages and by no means have I brought everything from Mnr, Chris and mark have been fantastic..even to the point that Chris sent my digidash for repair foc!! After I dropped it!!(I didn't buy the digidash from Mnr!!!!). The original post that started this thread stated that he wasn't happy that his iva prep cost more than he was expecting, if a customer takes a car to a garage and asks them to 'get his car through an mot' they would test it and then do any work req to get a pass!!....is that not what the op did... Send his car to Mnr to get it through the iva!!!! I think different people have different experiences with manufactures(I was all set to buy another kit untill I found the manufacture disinterested at donnington show last year,but I haven't felt the need to slag them off on here, it is mentioned on my build blog though.)..I think the op as been unfair and a little nieve!

I certainly would not hesitate to recommend Mnr!!

road warrior

posted on 5/9/13 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Another + for a positive MNR experience.

Maybe I'm biased because I look after MNR here in Oz, but a few years ago we were just interested customers looking for something different to build.

Chris and Marc have, without fail, accomodated anything we needed over the years. Chris is a straight shooter, and that's a good thing. Marc is happy inventing the next mod.......and that's how teams work.

When was the last time you could come back with a laugh and a story from your local car dealer!

Looking forward to my next trip........and pint(s) at the Wellington.

Cheers

Greg & Sonja

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DanG

posted on 6/9/13 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
I think you can only really comment on what experiences you have had yourself.

I have been dealing with MNR for a few years and my most recent experience was only yesterday (5th Sept 2013).

I was booked in to have a new steering boss fitted whilst there they repaired my broken exhaust bracket - FOR FREE.

They did not need to repair my exhaust bracket at all and were already full with work. They knew I had to drive home in my kit and so wanted it to be right for my journey home. Not only did they do the repair but to then do it out of goodwill was top notch.

big_l

posted on 6/9/13 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
shit the bed thats pretty dam handy maybe ill tralior my car up there in the morning so they can fix the diff a smashed at santa pod lol now that there doing free repairs

[Edited on 6/9/13 by big_l]

daniel mason

posted on 6/9/13 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
this thread is rediculous. fair enough,the o/p has struggled but pretty much everyone who actually owns an mnr says otherwise. those that dont just want to stir the situation.
as said above there has been to my knowledge 1x negaticve thread regarding mnr but dozens of them regarding mk and others! but ive dealt with danny keenan and found him spot on.
the difference is that this post was regarding work needed for iva running over budget. but others threads about other manufacturers have been pretty much theft! as in a customer paying for a product for it not even to arrive.for years

mr T

posted on 7/9/13 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
I would just like to thank all the peeps that have posted on this thread good or bad
I built a mnr because
I liked the look
They mainly build becs and that's wot I wanted
It looks a quality product
And because I never found a bad word said about them

I do think its a good product and the quality is excellent for a kit car
I did have problems through my build but I would have probably had problems with any kit

I could have never posted this topic up but the amount of pms I got from another tread on suspension set up from people that weren't happy with there car or the quality of the stuf or the service from mnr made me think i should put something up
Looks like these people don't wont to post up because there building or own a mnr and still have to deal with them
Cheers tony

marc n

posted on 7/9/13 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
I was extremely disappointed to read this thread-we at MNR pride ourselves on quality and customer service-our goal is to provide a hassle free process to make sure that our customers enjoy the kit car experience , and like the vast majority of MNR owners , become good friends.
This tread goes against all that philosophy.
We have had absolutely no contact from MR T-since the car was delivered back to him-over a month ago reagarding any of these issues
He was kept fully, and regularly informed of the costs-he made numerous phone calls to us , and also visited the workshop to view the remedial work necessary to pass the IVA test-there is a list of the work carried out , listed below-the car as supplied had no chance of an IVA pass.

1. Front top wishbones where the wrong way round ( no castor )removal of all front suspension and refit
2. Steering rack gaiter holes not large enough in body so rack fouled in lock-enlarged
3. Electric current draw even, when switched off ( fitted a master switch to try and solve temporarily )
4. Fog light wiring incompatible with iva test requirements-autoelectrician rewire
5. Leaking front brake t-piece -replaced
6. Incorrectly bled rear brakes –full rebleed necessary
7. Hazard switch rear relay block broken and super glued on ( latching switch got stuck )
8. Hazards not wired in accordance to iva requirements –autoelectrician rewire
9. Loose connections on rear side lights ( intermittent side light operation )-repaired
10. Immobiliser not Iva compliant-Thatcham fitted
11. Insufficient fixing of wiring under dash-rectified
12. Bias bar adjuster not adjusting freely needed to be greased-rectified
13. Both upright retaining bolts and spacers where incorrectly fitted and damaged-replaced and refitted
14. Lack of grease in front wheel bearings –would have led to bearing failure-rectified
15. Rear top wishbones to uprights had incorrect spacing and fixing-rectified
16. Rear shockers incorrectly spaced and fouling body-rectified
17. Handbrake cables incorrectly routed and rubbing on wheel-rectified
18. Roll over valve fitted inline in the wrong direction-dangerous-rectified
19. Handbrake compensation quadrant not adjusted correctly ( low hand brake effort on brake rollers at local mot station ) tunnel glued and screwed in place near seat fixings so tunnel removal not possible-rectified at the workshop prior to retest
20. Retest promise undertaken even though i had to drop my partner at the hospital , pending imminent 2nd child arrival! i drove 2 hrs for the retest, i was at the station for 1 3/4 hours and then a had 2 hour return journey, all of this whilst my partner was in labour alone at hospital. So Mr T could get his car back as soon as possible ( i think this alone goes a long way to demonstrate our commitment to customer care )
21. Power commander was demonstrated not working- customer was with me for 2 hours ( not charged for time ,as we tried to redo emissions )
22. Spent 1 hr on phone to Daytuner and dynojet to try reset customer supplied faulty power commander
23. Power commander was the older type with a short earth lead, so tried to extend as per dynojet recommendation-not charged
24. Power commander hidden under dash and wiring was hidden in tunnel and virtually impossible to reach
25. New power commander fitted and setup for iva ( second trip to Daytuner necessary for power map, as there is an extra throttle site point in the newer power commanders )
26. Customer visited 4 times and was given updates each time
27. we also had numerous phone calls from him
28. He was given the opportunity to fix the issues himself, at our work to save money-but instructed us to proceed
29. Exhaust was blowing -rectified –not charged
30. Full tracking and camber setup- ride heights adjusted ( but car has not done enough miles to fully setup )-as instructed

The costs included a full set up and corner weighting-emissions-full rolling road , the fitting of all the IVA parts , a new powercommander and fit , the IVA test and retest , including transportation[only the cost of derv]-not travelling time.
He was given the option of doing the work himself , but instructed us to proceed.-We even significantly discounted the final bill , to try to help him out.
He did not purchase the kit from ourselves , but nevertheless , was afforded the same service as a kit buyer-all the IVA paperwork was completed by MNR foc , and all the IVA equipment provided foc , to avoid extra non refundable costs to him.
There is no mention of us collecting the car from his house , and returning it ,having to get up very early on a Saturday morning , as he was desperate to get the car back after the IVA pass-this was charged only on the cost of the derv-our travelling time of over 8 hours was given freely!-we also put other work back to get the car back for remapping , and the retest that was necessary, after he had supplied the car to us with a defective powercommander.
As regards the delivery to Daytuner, the car had issues passing the emissions , due to removal of the ais system , modifications made by the current owner or the previous owner-there must be some misunderstanding between Daytuner and the owner , as the car went to Daytuner as soon as we had solved the emissions issue-Daytuner is also not always aware of the owners name-we send all our cars there , so maybe that is the confusion.
I totally deny making any comments regarding Paul Kimbers car-it is not our place to comment on customers builds , but in this case , we can confirm he did a good job.Why on earth would we put pictures of his car on our facebook , promoting our product-and getting many comments of what a good car it was!
As regards the Westfield comment , we are fortunate to be extremely busy so requests for locost parts or westfield parts i.e wishbones etc come with a large leadtime as our own cars and customers take priority. In many cases i have recommended alternative suppliers who can supply the products off the shelf, we have helped many owners with stocked spare parts , and currently are sorting out same day ,two owners with steering arms and brake parts.The Raceleda set up was causing problems for Westfield owners , some of whom experienced ball joint lock out , and others suffering bent steering arms-we therefore decided not to continue with the Raceleda set up , and have for many years, produced our own stronger and lighter uprights.-at no time have we ever referred to any our competitors as crap-there is a market for everyone-we all need to pull together in these increasingly difficult times .
The issue regarding the comments on the reverse box are puzzling-we have not made our in line box for over 2 years-instead we have offered , a electric reverse system , that is much cheaper , and lighter- I can only recall a conversation at a show where a kit car owner was desperate for an in line box , and we could not supply , and he was disappointed,- or a prospective purchaser insisted on viewing the internals-which I politely refused , as other MNR items have already been copied..
There is obviously confusion over the Q plate situation-we would never tell anyone how to register their own car-we at MNR , believe we are acting in the best interests of MNR owners , by trying to avoid a Q plate , as we know from them , and the market , that resale values , and the ability to put a private plate on the cars, are an important factor.
Many thanks for the many positive posts , phone calls and messages of support
There are always two sides to a situation-sorry that has come to this –but even some communication ,from the owner would have helped!

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.