Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Who to use in SE for R1 engine work
bassett

posted on 3/9/13 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Who to use in SE for R1 engine work

Hi Guys,

Can anyone in the south east, as near to Croydon as possible (jct6 m25) recommend someone who can undertake some engine work on my Yamaha R1 (2003 5PW) engine?

Currently the second gear jumps when accelerating (suspected worn dog) and is slowly getting worse and in the winter I would like to pull the engine and get it sorted. Id rather pay someone as i imagine id do more harm than good!

Whilst the engine is out should i undertake any additional maintenance if so what? for the last 3 years/6,000miles all she has had is regular oil/filter/coolant/spark/clutch changes and thats all.

Thanks
Adam

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

jps

posted on 4/9/13 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Can't help with a recommendation - but I did read it like this - which made me laugh!

quote:
Originally posted by bassett
for the last 3 years/6,000miles all she has had is regular.... ...clutch changes

doobrychat

posted on 4/9/13 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Bob Farnham is a Legend for tuning and repairs to bike engines.. Located near Brands Hatch..

I have had loads done by him over the years and never had an issue..

phelpsa

posted on 4/9/13 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Big CC are based in Wokingham and undertake engine rebuilds on all sorts.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 4/9/13 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Not actually terribly difficult or involved to get at the R1's chocolate gearbox, so dive in through the waterpump and the other stuff that Yamaha have put in the way without fear. Your diagnosis is probably correct, the dogs get chewed up (and off) at an alarming rate. 2nd/3rd are the ones that mainly go, the main gearbox bearings aren't durable either. Parts aren't locost. I've obtained a few 'mint(ish' complete gearbox assemblies when they've come up, depending on how bad it all is, might be better for you as well.

Again, BigCC will do a good job assembling/repairing any standard unit, they aren't the most expensive either. No, I'm not a shareholder, no affiliations with them at all, but they did sort something out for me a while ago.

bassett

posted on 4/9/13 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, i will keep those suggestions in mind and call around for some quotes.

To be honest i am quite suprised nothing has gone wrong sooner but i am wondering if this is now the start of a downhill slope ie what if they find it needs several dogs replacing and the bill racks up to around a grand and at this point would an engine upgrade to a newer model be a better solution???

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

xtimmyx

posted on 6/9/13 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
I had the exact same issue with my 5PW MK Indy. In second gear it would loose drive for 0.5 sec or sometimes. A few hours of driving later when shifting down two gears and dumping the clutch there was a somewhat worrying noise and second gear started rattling pretty badly so haven't used the car since.

But I'm also quite surprised by the amount of punishment the gearbox actually could take before giving up. It's been on track since 2009 and driven quite aggressively to say the least.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.