Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What to do with a windscreen when disposing of a donor shell
Slimy38

posted on 5/9/13 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
What to do with a windscreen when disposing of a donor shell

I think I'm on target for disposing the MX5 shell this weekend, but I'm not sure what to do with the windscreen. Part of me thinks I'm overthinking it and I should leave it alone, but part of me suggests a scrap metal dealer isn't going to want to remove a screen.

I think I can remove it (although not in one piece), but if I do remove it, where can I take it? The local recycling centre?

AndyW

posted on 5/9/13 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Cut the screen out still in its surround, then sell it on e-bay, someone will want it and then removing it is there problem...
nick205

posted on 5/9/13 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Scrappy won't care either way. They don't mess about removing all the glass before the squash them.

As above, you might get lucky and sell it if you get it out complete. Most likely it's bonded to the frame, but you can use piano wire or similar like a cheese wire to cut through the adhesive.

plentywahalla

posted on 5/9/13 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
A scrap yard will give you a mixed metal price for the whole car, the only thing they will knock money off is for the tyres.

Our local yard sells the screens if they are undamaged, to a screen fitter who removes them as described.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

Slimy38

posted on 5/9/13 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plentywahalla
A scrap yard will give you a mixed metal price for the whole car, the only thing they will knock money off is for the tyres.

Our local yard sells the screens if they are undamaged, to a screen fitter who removes them as described.

Sounds good to me, I'm keeping the tyres!!

Thanks all for the responses, I'm going to give the cheese wire a go and see what happens.

dhutch

posted on 6/9/13 at 05:08 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah he isnt going to care about the screen, even if he took it out, he would just do it with a hammer!

You can have a go at cutting it out to resell, but while I know a handful that have tried, I don't know anyone that have succeeded of yet!

You can also out any other scrap you have in the shell, thats what we used to do in the uni motorclub, brim it full of old disks/propshafts/wheels/etc as long as its not all plastic happy days. Tyres went to the local tip as there where enough of us, moving around each year, to get rid of them on a ridiculous 'four tyres per car per address' rule.

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.