Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SORN query????
pewe

posted on 9/9/13 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
SORN query????

On one of the other resto project cars I declared SORN when I bought it and it's not been on the road since (given it's stripped out etc. etc.).
I was looking through vehicle docs today and realised that SORN expired in Nov 2012.
I'll swear I didn't receive any reminder when it did expire as I'm pretty religious about that sort of thing.
DVLA are showing it as "unlicensed".
So the question is do I just SORN or ring up DVLA?
Presumably they'll automatically fine me if I just SORN on-line or is their system unlikely to be that sophisticated?
What do you think?
Thanks, Pewe10

blakep82

posted on 9/9/13 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
I'd just sorn it online, and don't raise it to the attentions of anyone. Computer is less likely to see the link than a person is.
If their computer was going to fine you, it will have by now. Sorn it online, then its sorned and the system can't do anything about it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

steve m

posted on 9/9/13 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
How weird, as I just put this on my local clubs website!!

Ive tried several times to tax my 7 online, over the last few days, and every time I get a
"we are unable blablabla " message

So went to the post office today, and it was 98% done, when she announces, she can not proceed, as the car was never sorned, BOLLOX!!

anyway, I trawled through my emails, on the phone, and thankfully saved the sorn renewal I did in feb this year, showed the PO girl the email confirmation, she hits one key, and I walk away with tax disc minus £££ though!

This GOV sites are f ing usless

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Slimy38

posted on 9/9/13 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
When you SORN it online, it will check the last SORN date and give a warning that there may be a penalty. You wouldn't be the first to not get a reminder though, the previous owner of my donor didn't get notification.

I say get it SORN'ed now, then if by some remote chance they do look at a fine you can plead your case.

loggyboy

posted on 9/9/13 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
There is no requirement for them to send you the reminder. The onus is on you to annually reregister it.

[Edited on 9-9-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

PSpirine

posted on 9/9/13 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Do it online. As mentioned it'll warn you that there was a period when it wasn't sorned/licensed and you may be liable for a penalty. I had a 2 month gap for one of my cars, and never received a fine/penalty after doing it this way.
minitici

posted on 9/9/13 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
When you previously tried to SORN the vehicle had the car been untaxed prior to the introduction of SORN in 1998? (and never taxed since)
If it was never taxed after 1998 then SORN would not have been required (or accepted by their system).

A vehicle enquiry would show the status as "Unlicenced" - all perfectly normal.

loggyboy

posted on 9/9/13 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minitici
When you previously tried to SORN the vehicle had the car been untaxed prior to the introduction of SORN in 1998? (and never taxed since)
If it was never taxed after 1998 then SORN would not have been required (or accepted by their system).

quote:
Originally posted by pewe
On one of the other resto project cars I declared SORN when I bought it and it's not been on the road since (given it's stripped out etc. etc

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 9/9/13 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
There is no requirement for them to send you the reminder. The onus is on you to annually reregister it.

[Edited on 9-9-13 by loggyboy]

Aha, that's interesting to know. I was expecting a standard tax reminder to come through.

minitici

posted on 9/9/13 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by minitici

quote:
Originally posted by pewe
On one of the other resto project cars I declared SORN when I bought it and it's not been on the road since (given it's stripped out etc. etc

If the SORN declaration was done on paper and sent to the DVLA they may not have actioned the request as it was not required.

I have had this in the past where it was not required and the DVLA returned the SORN application with a note explaining.

chrism

posted on 9/9/13 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
As said above if a car has never been taxed since before the SORN came in then it doesnt need doing until after it has been taxed again. SO it could be if your project car hasnt been taxed since before 1998 then someon made a mistake allowing the SORN to be done.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

pewe

posted on 9/9/13 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
I originally SORN'd it on-line when I bought it and IIRC the owner two back had taxed it so that was 2010/11'ish.
I've now SORN'd it and it flagged up the warning about the gap in SORN.
Hopefully they'll see I'm pretty prompt with other vehicles so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice guys and I'll post if fined.
Cheers, Pewe10

Note to self: Put SORNs in the diary.

jabs

posted on 9/9/13 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have just received a tax/sorn reminder on my MG Midget project, this has been SORNed for several years
BarnieP

posted on 19/11/13 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peweI've now SORN'd it and it flagged up the warning about the gap in SORN.

Have you heard anything bad yet?

pewe

posted on 19/11/13 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
No not yet, just hoping it's slipped under their radar - famous last words.....
Cheers, Pewe10

Slimy38

posted on 19/11/13 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Mine seems to be ok too, I had the previous owner SORN it but it was more than twelve months before he sold it to me. I SORN'ed it straightaway and got the warning message, but nothing else has come from it. Although because I SORN'ed it the day I got it, I expect any penalty etc would go to the previous owner rather than me?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.