Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: petrol tank
nick-york

posted on 11/9/13 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
petrol tank

Hi ! Hopefully soon i ll be fitting the petrol tank. Just need a bit of iva friendly advice please . Its aluminium and i understand it needs to be secured by two metal straps 2 inches wide and that it needs some rubber or something under the tank where it rests and under the straps to protect the tank. So could anybody recommend the best materials and thickness for doing this ? And any other helpful advice on getting the job done ? Cheers !
40inches

posted on 11/9/13 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I used ally angle and strip, lined with adhesive foam. Passed IVA 3 months ago. Done a 1000miles, still rock solid.
mounting straps
mounting straps

adithorp

posted on 11/9/13 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Use steel for the straps. I cut some strips from a sheet. It doesn't need to be vary thick. Main stream car ones are pretty thin and flexible. Think mine is 16s gauge.
Don't use ally as it has a habit of fatiguing and let the tank come loose. I had one fall out of a Strier in front of me at Llandow a couple of years ago.
There is special rubber available (think Woolies sell it) but in locost tradition, I just cut an old bike inner tube and threaded the strip through that.
I put closed cell foam strip (Woolies again) between tank and chassis
Don't forget to put an earth strap between tank and chassis.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

jps

posted on 12/9/13 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
in locost tradition, I just cut an old bike inner tube and threaded the strip through that.

I'll be doing this - and if you don't ride a bike yourself any cyclist worth their salt will give you their discarded inner tubes for nowt.

nick-york

posted on 12/9/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
thanks everyone . very helpful

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.