Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bonnet problem !!
nick-york

posted on 15/9/13 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
bonnet problem !!

hmm !! well when my bonnet is in position ive noticed that about the top 2 inches of my carb will be stuck out of the top of the bonnet !! ive never really noticed this before . Its a weber 32dfm carb . Is this a normal problem ?its the carb that came with the engine. Was just thinking that by the time i got an air filter on it would look like a big chimney stuck out of the bonnet !I suppose i could change the carb but didnt really want to because ive already spent time and money on it.help and advice needed please ?
jacko

posted on 15/9/13 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Bonnet bulge
or i have seen this done before put a second box on top of your side rail lifting the nose cone, bonnet' and scuttle
Its not ideal but may help you if you have not paneled the sides yet
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 15/9/13 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
I understand that you don't really want to change the carb but really that's the only solution if you don't want it sticking up.

bike carbs won't stick up and will be much better performing too.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

nick-york

posted on 15/9/13 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately the sides are paneled jacko so it looks like probably changing over to bike carbs .if so then which ones would be best and easiest without costing a fortune? Cheers !
jacko

posted on 15/9/13 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
I myself like Kawasaki zx9r 's but there are lots to choose from zx6 would be quite good for your 1600 if you do a search there is a lot about fitting bike carbs on x flow engines
And the best thing to do is get Bogg Brothers to set them up i did and there grrrrreat

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Not Anumber

posted on 16/9/13 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I couldnt justify the price of a set of bike carbs, purpose made manifold and rolling road setup which would have come to the thick end of £ 400 whichever way i tried to do the figures.
I'd been assured the 38/38 downdraught was fine for at least 150bhp but just didnt want a car with a hole in the bonnet that i couldnt drive in the rain so bought a series 2 lotus 7 bonnet bulge/ intake which did the job nicely and took about an hour to fit.

David Jenkins

posted on 16/9/13 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
This is what I did...

As it happens, I have bike carbs now but I'm not going to mess up my bonnet by getting rid of the bump! I work on the principle that the more air you can get under the bonnet the better...

Not Anumber

posted on 16/9/13 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
I like those round side vents in your bonnet David, do you remember where you got them please ?

steve m

posted on 16/9/13 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
I made a bulge as well, looks ok ?
It covers a 2836dcd and I do not run an air filter, as no room

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

nick-york

posted on 16/9/13 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
well i think ive got a lot of thinking to do now before i decide which is the best way forward for me .Thanks for all your ideas and help !cheers.
The Black Flash

posted on 16/9/13 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Check ebay for bonnet scoops from production cars - mitsubishi shogun has a good size one IIRC.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.