Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Wet Weather Driving
daveb666

posted on 17/9/13 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Wet Weather Driving

My locost has no roof, or windscreen. I have an aeroscreen and a crash helmet.

Realistically, how awful is it to drive a kit car in the rain, or is it a whole different experience that is worth trying?

matt_gsxr

posted on 17/9/13 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
At speed the aeroscreen encourages the water to go over the top and the wind keeps the helmet visor clear.
So, light rain isn't as bad as you might expect. You will get wet though.

A screen with no roof is worse, as the water gets onto the back of the screen (at least in my experience in a Westfield to le Mans) where there are no wipers.

nick205

posted on 17/9/13 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same in my Indy - aeroscreen and helmet.

With a good set of waterproofs it's not too bad. As above, probably better than with a full screen and no roof.

If you're moving at a reasonable speed, it's more the spray from the front wheels than the rain itself. Other vehicles also become more of a hazard due to their spray, particularly lorries.

I never chose to go out in the rain, but got caught a few times and had to drive home from work in it a couple of times. Then the main issue was bailing the water out and drying the seat off before you get in.

Driving in the snow and ice is much more fun altogether

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/9/13 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Everyone will be laughing and pointing at you, depends on how thick a skin you have

Without several drain holes you will quickly find a swimming pool forming at your feet which in the wind will spray all over the place and soak your legs. I got caught out a few times in the rain with my beach buggy, I'd rate it as a pretty horrid experience

With the 7 of course you have the added advantage of a power shower in the face from the front wheels, lovely

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 17/9/13 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
I have screen wipers and side doors...... absolute nightmare in constant rain, infact i prefered no screen in the rain.

I came back from the Goodwood festival of Speed one year in pouring rain for the whole journey a few years back, i had no screen and i have to say it was bearable.
I would have had to pull over with the screen as visibility becomes "zero" i have hidden under motorway bridges on occasions, not much fun.

Also if you have a roof you would then need to demist, so its a knock on effect of addons.

matt_gsxr

posted on 17/9/13 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Holes in the floor definitely help with puddles in the footwells.
daveb666

posted on 17/9/13 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Holes in the floor definitely help with puddles in the footwells.

Got plenty of those from fitting my grp seats

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

stevegough

posted on 17/9/13 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Quite apart from the comfort situation, don't forget that two facts about these cars can cause a serious accident. I am talking about the fact that they are rear-wheel drive and very light. Coupled with the excess power most of them have can make them very twitchable in the wet making them pretty unsafe in the wrong hands.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Jon Ison

posted on 17/9/13 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
I find its fine in the wet on the move, its stood in traffic that's the problem, like sitting in a bath tub.
David Jenkins

posted on 17/9/13 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
Quite apart from the comfort situation, don't forget that two facts about these cars can cause a serious accident. I am talking about the fact that they are rear-wheel drive and very light. Coupled with the excess power most of them have can make them very twitchable in the wet making them pretty unsafe in the wrong hands.

What he said - my car doesn't have a great deal of power (around 100BHP) but it's downright spiteful in heavy rain. The back end want to overtake the front every time I touch the go pedal, so it's necessary to use a very light touch... I found that most saloons would overtake me! And I do have very good rain-worthy tyres...

ceebmoj

posted on 17/9/13 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Mine has an aeroscrean when you are stood still you get wet. When driving a decent jacket keeps you dry but the rain then runs down and puddles in the seat or crotch and feels unplesent some water proof trowsers will keep you all dry. The worst bit is you're right arm.

As others have said take it very smooth in the wet. I find that changing down gear the hardest and it caught me out the first time I approched a roundabout in the wet.

Simon

posted on 22/9/13 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Just get wet, it's all part of the fun. Nothing like having your visor open and an oncoming car launching 20 gallons of water into your face as a quick wake up

Waterproofs fine, if worried about car insides, get a tonneau cover with elasticated hole in, and it'll be like driving a canoe

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.