Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rubber bonnet catches - ensuring they can't come undone?
Sloan85

posted on 4/10/13 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
Rubber bonnet catches - ensuring they can't come undone?

I am looking for a way of adding a secondary fixing to secure my rubber bonnet catches to ensure they can't come undone when driving. I saw something months ago on here but I can't remember exactly how it was done.

Has anyone added anything to the rubber IVA catches (CBS ones) to make them more secure? IVA is passed so sharp edges not an issue.

Cheers

http://mkindygsxr.blogspot.co.uk

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/10/13 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe better to buy proper race spec ones now?

Can't say I was ever impressed with the rubber bonnet straps as the rubber only lasted a year or so before perishing and only noticed when examined closely, lots of little hairline cracks. The cost of replacing a smashed up bonnet far outweighs the catch cost.

[Edited on 4/10/13 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 4/10/13 at 04:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Maybe better to buy proper race spec ones now?

I used a set of these and have been very happy, the go over center with a positive feel, and then have a sprung catch to hold the shut as well, at which point they really are basically shut! Although if you yank on them really hard not knowing you should press down the catch, they will release just about before they rip out of the fiberglass....

Bought larger 'incorrect' catch plates and then cut them down, modified them to fit the latch, and re drilled them, so that they would use the existing holes in the bonnet, and only one new hole in the tub for the latch. Took about a days work all up in that and fitting them with the right pre-tension etc having gone for the non adjustable type, but well worth it and they have been faultless since.

http://www.protex.com/product/show/name/27-1900

Daniel

gingerprince

posted on 4/10/13 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
Gaffer tape I probably should replace mine but since my bonnet flew off a few years ago I always tape them down for track days!
pif

posted on 4/10/13 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Mine came undone earlier this year although I think someone messed with them in a pub car park.

Anyway, I (well someone else) drilled holes through the side of the catches and put split pins through to stop them coming loose. Also this gives me a visual check before I drive off.

Adithorp on here will advise, he did it for me.

Pif

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

ashg

posted on 4/10/13 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote

this has worked perfectly for me for the last 3 years. the problem with the rubber catches is that fibre glass bonnets inherently want to go flat as they spread out they push the catches out and they come undone. the pins stop the bonnet spreading sideways stopping the catches coming undone.

btw just incase you cant work it out from the picture. rivnut into the top chassis rail then a sawn off bolt into the rivnut. very cheap simple solution.

[Edited on 4/10/2013 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.