Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quadbike motors?
Ratman

posted on 6/10/13 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Quadbike motors?

Has anyone had experience with using a Quadbike motor for a BEC? The sports models now are up to 500cc and have water cooling, electric start and reverse gear. Admittedly, the power is a bit low for a car, but if simplicity of build, and economy are a major factor they would seem ideal for a minimalist build. Maybe the front suspension could also be used, and by narrowing the rear track, there may be no need for a diff. Here in NZ you see Suzuki LSZ 400s sell for as low as NZ$3000 ( pounds 1500). Any thoughts? Brian
Paul AS

posted on 6/10/13 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
I've been having exactly the same thoughts. In the UK, Razor cars make a reverse trike with a KTM 525 quad motor and gearbox. The Yamaha Raptor quad would be the one to go for. More expensive but you can tune it and even turbo it.

It would be interesting in and MEV tr1ke. I reckon the even with 60bhp, if you got the weight done to around 275KG, which is possible, it would be great fun and could be geared to top 85mph.

bi22le

posted on 6/10/13 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I cant help thinking that if you want a quad motor in a stripped down bare bones car then get a quad and use it!!

In my eyes there would be far more benifit in buying a fast quad and working on the handling, widen the track and lower COG to get it cornering a lot faster.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Volvorsport

posted on 6/10/13 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
500cc fwd currently my area of thought ...

i managed to get a 500cc engine and reversing gearbox for £50....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/10/13 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I cant help thinking that if you want a quad motor in a stripped down bare bones car then get a quad and use it!!

In my eyes there would be far more benifit in buying a fast quad and working on the handling, widen the track and lower COG to get it cornering a lot faster.

We've had a few road crashes with over powered quads usually on corners still fitted with offroad tyres, look downright dangerous. Can't see the point in them personally they have all the worst bits about a motor bike with none of the good points and can't even filter through traffic. Sorting out the issues funnily enough turns it into a 7

[Edited on 6/10/13 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Cadburys Man

posted on 6/10/13 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I've just sold my Yamaha Raptor 700R Supermoto to buy my Stuart Taylor Locosaki lol, here are a few pics of it.....

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dazmellor/media/My%20Yamaha%20Raptor%20700R/0B0DD4FF-2CFC-4EB5-B666-3E6B4843F9C0-1671-000001EF0EB62E01.jpg.html][ IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/dazmellor/My%20Yamaha%20Raptor%20700R/0B0DD4FF-2CFC-4EB5-B666-3E6B4843F9C0-1671-000001EF0EB62E01.jpg[/IMG][ /URL]

Stuart Taylor ZX9-R Locosaki

Ratman

posted on 6/10/13 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your inputs above posters.
I guess my concept is a very small minimalist car, maybe three wheels, maybe front drive like the old Berkley. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Cars .
My main concern would be just how robust these Quad bike motors are? The ones for sale seem to have done few miles but frequently have had recent major engine overhauls. In a car, they have to be able to deliver 9/10 full power full time. Is this too much of an ask for these motors?

For a minimal cost build, you could just take the existing geometry, push the motor over to one side, put the driver's seat low down beside it, and make a one-piece canam style fiberglass body. Might have to lengthen the wheelbase I guess. Pounds 3,000 build budget. ???

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.