Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Choosing computer help..
chrsgrain

posted on 8/10/13 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Choosing computer help..

Hi all,

Got a problem, thought I'd consult to locostbuilder massive!

The wife is a professional photographer, and usual workflow is to get memory card out of camera, put in MacBook Pro, rename and drop images to DVD and simultaneously to 4TB RAID external hard drive. No problems.

New camera has 2 memory cards (which each image gets recorded to in parallel simultaneously as a backup) which are now bigger, up to 32GB on each card. Also, some of her projects are now 'unrepeatable' so we want to have full reducndancy where possible.

Plan is to take one card out of the camera, and go via the Mac (renaming the files) to the 4TB external RAID drive as normal. Other card we want to go into a separate computer, rename (to the same names as the 'Mac' files. Then onto BluRay/DVD as needed. 2 copies of the disc, 1 into fireproof safe at home, 1 to external storage (my office at work!). We want the second computer to be 'not Mac', and not be connected to the internet. This gives complete redundancy, 2 different memory cards, 2 different operating systems and the files in 4 places (2 copies on the RAID drive, 1 BluRay at home in safe, 1 BluRay at off site storage) and only the RAID copies would be edited (in a non destructive manner).

Whew!

OK - the question is - what computer should we get to do the second transfer? Its the ONLY job it needs to do, nothing else. Doesn't have to be fast, images if transferred to its hard disc can be deleted once on the BluRay/DVD. New / second hand doesn't matter. Linux might be good as I have a hatred of Windows, if we didn't want to be completely over the top and have different operating systems, we'd get another Mac, but that would be v. expensive to just transfer and rename files....

We know nothing about PC's - any help gratefully received!

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

mookaloid

posted on 8/10/13 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
A pc is a pc so even a reasonable spec pc will do the trick.

If the photos are really important then the weak link in your plan is only using one camera - if the first camera doesn't actually put the photos onto the memory cards then it all falls over. I would have 2 cameras and take the photos twice

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

snakebelly

posted on 8/10/13 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Why bother with a pc at all? This is related to my line of work and for this application i would normally suggest something like dropbox, that way there will always be a copy on the mac and even if it dies totally and your house burns down you will still have a copy in the cloud. The only downside may be cost as im guessing you talking about a lot of data? You would need to decide what size storage you need and work out the cost compared to another machine.
britishtrident

posted on 8/10/13 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
You can pick fairly decent second user and end of line PCs from Morgan computers

I have been dealing with Morgan for almost 25 years and never had a problem.
Software Google Picasa is very good at picking fresh images off an SD card or camera USB connection and cataloguing storing them to disc.
It will also export them to DVD/CD and produce contact sheets.

Personally I was looking for hassle free reliability and no virus problems I would load the PC with Mint Linux. and use K3B to create DVD/CDs

Link to Morgan Computers http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/c/407/Desktops-PCs-Monitors/

[Edited on 8/10/13 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 8/10/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

snakebelly

posted on 8/10/13 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
This maybe worth trawling through

http://www.thetop10bestonlinebackup.com/cloud-storage

chrsgrain

posted on 8/10/13 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all,

She actually has 2 camera bodies, so half the pictures will be on one body and half on the other, in case of camera failure! Camera bodies not writing to their cards and not warning you about it is (almost) unheard of, card failure is a little more common (though they get 'retired' after about 6 months heavy use to try and prevent this).

We've been thinking about the cloud and storing things there, and it is likely in future that we will go that way, unfortunately at the moment large volume cloud storage has its problems. Cost and upload time are the two main ones. This system could be used with the cloud as another back up though in the future, either from the Mac or the PC.

Mint Linux sounds good, will that do the drivers for the BluRay writer and have renaming software available? Never used Linux but would like to!

Cheers again

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

scudderfish

posted on 8/10/13 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
When you rename the files, how are you deciding what the new name is, and how do you ensure the same naming convention on the other machine?
britishtrident

posted on 8/10/13 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Mint Linux is fairly easy to try just download a DVD ISO image file from the Mint website, then burn the image to a DVD to make a bootable DVD.

Then you can boot a PC off the DVD you have created and it will start up in Mint Linux. Running off a DVD will be as slow as treacle but it proves the PC will run in Linux. Once running in Mint from DVD it is very easy to install to hard disk, just klick on an icon and the installation program will guide you through a few menu choices that let you install dual boot or Linux only. Mint Linux comes complete with every hardware driver you might need and the hardware detection is very good.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.