Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Yoko A539- Any good?
me!

posted on 10/10/13 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yoko A539- Any good?

Evening all

I've had a search and found mostly adverts or 'use r888's', but nothing much about A539s.

I've seen a nearly new set for sale at around £45 each + postage which I'm thinking about getting. The car is a Sylva Stylus Zetec, 13" wheels. Just a Sunday toy/project, not a track day hero, but will probably try one or two next year.

So... worth a punt? The 'won't kill you if you get caught in the rain' thing appeals.

perksy

posted on 10/10/13 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Their ok but i found them a bit hard on a 7
They are nowhere near as good as Yoko AO21R's in the rain or in the dry ihmo

But if their cheap enough....

NigeEss

posted on 10/10/13 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I had an MR2 Mk1 which had budget tyres on and it was awful, back would slip easily. Put a set
of 539s on and it took a real effort to slide it even in the wet.

The tyres are now on the kit and have done three track days (first in MR2) with no problems but
are looking a bit scrubbed now.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

nick205

posted on 10/10/13 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Ran them on my 205 GTIs and on my Indy, found them to be very good on both. As per other recent thread, I thought they'd been discontinued by Yokohama, but it appears not!

Weren't they also the control tyre for Locost racing?

stevebubs

posted on 10/10/13 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Got some on my zetec Fury. Fine for road use IMO....
me!

posted on 11/10/13 at 05:21 AM Reply With Quote
Might give them a shot then- thanks!

I had a look at A021-R's. They do look good, but they are twice the price of these ones and to be honest I can't drive for toffee, so not sure I'd reap the benefits!

I'm changing from 14" wheels with the wrong offset to 13" with hopefully the right one, hence the change. Currently on Avon ZV3's which don't seem brilliant!

loggyboy

posted on 11/10/13 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Remeber the A539 is a standard road tyre, its not a 'track orientated' tyre like the A021, A032, R888 etc.

Mistral Motorsport

TimEllershaw

posted on 11/10/13 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
There is a "like new" set for sale over on WSCC for £180 :

Linky...

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 11/10/13 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
It's a good if you need an all round road or MSA list 1a tyre (and has been used as a control tyre in a lot of championships).
On the road I doubt you'd need more, for a trackday a 1b list tyre like the A048-R is a better choice IMO.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

paulf

posted on 11/10/13 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
A0 21s do work well but they also wear out very quickly, 3000 miles seems to be about the most that people get out of them .I have them on my car at present but thinking of changing to A539s when i next need tyres, the lowcost racers seem to do ok on them on track so will be well up to normal road use.
quote:
Originally posted by me!
Might give them a shot then- thanks!

I had a look at A021-R's. They do look good, but they are twice the price of these ones and to be honest I can't drive for toffee, so not sure I'd reap the benefits!

I'm changing from 14" wheels with the wrong offset to 13" with hopefully the right one, hence the change. Currently on Avon ZV3's which don't seem brilliant!

garyo

posted on 11/10/13 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Had them on my Westfield - nice tyre but a bit hard - they wore incredibly slowly, and laughed in the face of track days.
rodgling

posted on 11/10/13 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
I had A021s (15x225 on a 7J wheel) found the sidewalls too soft, car was very slow to settle in fast corners. Gripped well though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.