Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Leg Room
dpercy

posted on 17/10/13 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Leg Room

Hello, I'm trying to find a kit car which I will fit into, I used to have a Dutton B type which I just about squeezed in to, I'm 6' 4"
I have tried a Robin Hood which was a no go, can anyone tell me if they are, or know any, tall Locost drivers?
General advice on kit cars and leg room would also be appreciated.

Cheers Doug

dhutch

posted on 17/10/13 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Im 6ft2 and can get fairly comfortable in the westfield narrowbody.

The previous owner had tweaked the pedals (apparently) and raised the steering wheel about inches, I have then fitted grp seats, inclined backwards by raising the front 30m compared to the back, on runners.
If I sit fully into the seat my eye line is a bit close to the top of the screen, and would intersect with the roof, else if I slouch a bit my eye line comes down and my knees get a bit close. But either is manageable, and could be bought together with further adjustment of the seat rake. I have fitted a roll bar tall enough to suit me with helmet, drawing a line from the bar to the top of the engine, this looks tall, but not stupidly so. It does however preclude the use of a the roof.
Another very valid option is to drop the floor, which improves everything, other than the ground clearance, or if you raised the car to retain that, the center of gravity.

Obviously you have another 2inches on me, I dont know where that falls, but for ref im a 32inch inside leg. Im also 75kg (aka, a skinny runt) which helps if only with the width!

Where abouts are you? I guess you have missed this years shows, but if you anything like north midlands ish your welcome to sit in mine for a bit.

Longest trip was back to the northwest from Nurburgring in one hit, but I have also done back from Sancerre in one hit, and think nothing of two hours as long as its not dark.

Daniel

peter030371

posted on 17/10/13 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I am 6' 3" and fit in a Striker but then a lot of my height is on my body
mikeb

posted on 17/10/13 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 6'4' haynes roadster has a lot of room
BenB

posted on 17/10/13 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 6ft4 and it's all in my legs. I've got a Stuart Taylor (now Aries) car which I fit in just perfectly. I had to go for a very thin seat that matched that layback angle of the cockpit rear panel but I fit nicely!
ianm67

posted on 17/10/13 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
I am 6'3" and used to fit into a Tiger CatE1 with the standard pad seats with liitle issue. Did Le mans twice in that car and cold always still walk when I got out of it.... I am in the process of building a Dax rush which has an even more generous cabin. they also do a LWB version which offers an aditional 3" of legroom. I beleive that the GBS Zero is available in a LWB version also?

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

Chrisjohns

posted on 17/10/13 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
6 2 standard width seat on runners with 3 inches to go in a Luego Viento. Built for the average man.
40inches

posted on 17/10/13 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
My 6' 6" son in law fits easily in the MK. You may find forum members near you who will let you try their car on for size

loggyboy

posted on 17/10/13 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Im 'only' 5 11, but ive got a good few inches spare legroom in the striker. Wouldnt want much more than a 36 inch waist as they are far from wide!

[Edited on 17-10-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 17/10/13 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
All leg me with me.

Westfield Mega chassis was fine. Seat fairly upright, right up against the bulkead. Pedals were adjusted forward. There was nothing in the foot box area that interfered (column joints etc.). QD wheel helped, but was not essential. 'RAC' roll bar had to go up 50mm to conform with the MSA.

Striker, etc., just not long enough.

I also have the same problem with single seaters. Had to walk away from a Dallara 397 recently, just too marginal on leg length. Most other tubs are just *way* too short.

steve m

posted on 17/10/13 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Im sure my m8 Pekwah1 is about 6 5" and hes got a striker

as im only a dwarf, hes about 2 feet taller than me !!

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 17/10/13 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Quantum Xtreme all the way. I'm 6'3" with a long legs. I tried a number of cars before sitting 'in' an Xtreme.

I always found issues with either looking over the top of the windscreen rail, or feeling like I was sitting 'on' the car.

The Xtreme has legroom to spare.

pif

posted on 18/10/13 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
6ft3 tall and wide and fit "ok" in the Indy. I have athinner seat base for short trips that keeps me lower down for some driving trips.

I kept my steering wheel high and have seats with no winglets on and its fine.

Pif

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

SteveWallace

posted on 18/10/13 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
As suggested by previous posts, fitting in the car is as much to do with width as height.

I'm 6'2" and am building a Viento, which I comfortably fit into. In fact, I have had to get slightly longer harnesses for it so that the adjusters are in the right place as even I need to have the seat a few inches forward of its theoretical furthest back position.

My reason for going with the Viento was because, being quite broad as well, I felt as though I was on, rather than in, a lot of the narrower bodied cars, with too much of my right arm/shoulder sticking out for comfort.

It also has the advantage of being able to take virtually any engine - I have a straight 6 BMW engine in mine.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.