Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GeTtInG IT ROAD LEGAL
kirkb82

posted on 19/10/13 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
GeTtInG IT ROAD LEGAL

Hi there all you Kit Car Builders!

I am in the early stage's of my first what started off as a Chris Gibbs build but has take a few corners! Using a (92-93) Sierra as a donor car. Now has WESTI panel's...

Not that its relivant, im having trouble finding excactly what the criteria is to get her through the test needed to get her road legal IE SVA/IVA??????

I was building her for the track for fun but have since been bitten by the bug and am going to go for road legal so i want to check if i have missed anything out, before i go getting the chassis painted for the final build. Also im planning on having braided brake pipes front to rear and braided fuel lines which i wanted to run inside the vehicle down the tunnel on show along side the wiring loom for TANK/LIGHTS ECT, would this be exceptable for the required testing/testers/test's?

CAN ANYONE HELP? please..........

Thank you :-)

Kindest regards kirk

twybrow

posted on 19/10/13 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Check the sticky link at the top of this Forum (the IVA/Legal forum). There you will find the link to download the IVA manual for free. Mr Vosa will want to see your car is compliant with the relevant sections of that manual, so best bet is to start reading it ASAP!

If there are particular questions, then this forum will have the answers - there is nothing that you cant find out on the Locostbuilders forum!

Good luck with you build, and getting it road legal. It is one hell of a feeling to hold that certificate in your hand knowing you built the thing!

adithorp

posted on 19/10/13 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome!

As said read the IVA manual. There's lots of easy mistakes that might look/seem OK but are actually against the rules. Also worth spending an evening or two searching threads about IVA tests and fails, to pick out the common fail points.

Braided lines front to rear are OK but will need to be secure/supported more than hard lines. Don't know if inside the cockpit is allowed and at the least is frowned upon. Fuel lines have to be seperated from the electrical loom (op'side of the tunnel). Braided fuel lines also mean you can't see any cracking/deterioration in the rubber hose below... which does occur, so not the best idea in many peoples oppinion. You'll also need certification to show at IVA that it is suitable fuel hose; Rubber hose tends to be printed with this.

edit...
Add your rough location to your profile and youmight find some members close to you. Always helpfullif youneed a look at another car or a second opinion on yours.

[Edited on 19/10/13 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

designer

posted on 19/10/13 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
I would always stick with solid line for long runs and outside the cockpit.

And don't forget, always run fuel/brake lines below the loom.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 20/10/13 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
A big issue building first then thinking about IVA is proof of build
You need photos of the build and proof of purchase, chassis, donor, parts, not all but enough
And donor V5, you could do without and register on a Q plate

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.