Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Log cutting device.
Staple balls

posted on 20/10/13 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Log cutting device.

Bit of a long shot I know, but anyone got a half decent chainsaw/reciprocating saw about they no longer need?

Preparations for winter have rather been put on hold since my 30-odd year old mcculloch chainsaw dismantled itself today, it was a hideous deathtrap at the best of times, but it letting go of the chain wasn't fun at all

NigeEss

posted on 20/10/13 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
I recently bought a 2300w electric chainsaw from Lidl, spent a weekend cutting logs and filled my
6ftx7ftx2ft store and it's been great. £59.95 well spent.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

MakeEverything

posted on 21/10/13 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Staple balls
Bit of a long shot I know, but anyone got a half decent chainsaw/reciprocating saw about they no longer need?

Preparations for winter have rather been put on hold since my 30-odd year old mcculloch chainsaw dismantled itself today, it was a hideous deathtrap at the best of times, but it letting go of the chain wasn't fun at all

Cant you put a new chain on it? Most chansaws are serviceable items.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Staple balls

posted on 21/10/13 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately the side plate thing that holds the chain/bar on broke. It's a crap old machine without so much as a hand guard, let alone a brake, so I'm not too interested in fixing it.
Peteff

posted on 21/10/13 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Was it still on the original chain as well ? Get a new saw and maintain it properly or buy yourself a bow saw and get some exercise Chains and bars are not expensive and readily available just identify what it is and get the right number of drive links and it will be good for another 30 years if the chain brake works.

Too slow, it does sound like a relic from a bygone age. Get a Husqvarna 236 or similar, not expensive for what they do. Link to example here.

[Edited on 21/10/13 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

RichardK

posted on 21/10/13 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
If coozer offers you his, don't just don't, that's all I'm going to say.

You will thank me one day

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Staple balls

posted on 21/10/13 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:
Too slow, it does sound like a relic from a bygone age. Get a Husqvarna 236 or similar, not expensive for what they do. Link to example here.

Yeah, I took it to the local chainsaw place last year, they refused to touch it on the basis it was ancient and pretty much suicidal to use.

That looks a rather shiny device, now just to find one barely used

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK

Cheers

Rich

... I dread to think

ReMan

posted on 21/10/13 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:

Yeah, I took it to the local chainsaw place last year, they refused to touch it on the basis it was ancient and pretty much suicidal to use.

That looks a rather shiny device, now just to find one barely used

quote:

Cheers

Rich

... I dread to think

BTW Another vote for a leccy one. I got a B+Q one and very please with it for the price

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Peteff

posted on 21/10/13 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I remember Coozer's machine, it looked like something from Scooby Doo or one they left James Bond strapped to

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

coozer

posted on 21/10/13 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Haha, its the best thing I've every built!

I bought a brand new chain saw last year and because the Scooby machine is fab its still in the box!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Staple balls

posted on 21/10/13 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure if I'm more scared or intrigued.
mcerd1

posted on 21/10/13 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
whatever chainsaw you end up with - please get some proper safety gear for it (boots, trousers, helmet/mask, gloves....)
the proper stuff is full of fibers that tangle up the saw and stall it - nothing else will stop the blade quick enough

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Haha, its the best thing I've every built!
I think we need to see some pictures....

-

coozer

posted on 21/10/13 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Check this out...

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=171981

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Staple balls

posted on 21/10/13 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Jesus F**k

I've known enough people lose bits to proper table saws with safety bits on, how are you not called fingers or stumpy using that thing?

nick205

posted on 21/10/13 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Check this out...

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=171981

Steve, is that a link to your homemade limb remover???

Might want to consider this as well....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40sCGb678sQ

Staple balls

posted on 21/10/13 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Might want to consider this as well....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40sCGb678sQ

One of these wouldn't hurt either. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE0jnfJKNNU

RichardK

posted on 21/10/13 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
See what happens when the mental health budget is lowered and the care in the community scheme introduced, I had actually forgotten how scary that thing looked

Take care guys

R

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jossey

posted on 21/10/13 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Screwfix have an electric chainsaw for £60 at the mo

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

slingshot2000

posted on 21/10/13 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
See what happens when the mental health budget is lowered and the care in the community scheme introduced, I had actually forgotten how scary that thing looked

Take care guys

R

I nearly wet myself with laughter, when I read that ! I thought you and Coozer were mates !

coozer

posted on 21/10/13 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
I treat the saw like a rabid dog, with respect, off to the side and never in front of the blade.

Some of you should have had an upbringing down the pit where everything can bite you.

I still cringe thinking of being on J6, 4 miles out under the sea 1800 feet down... the tail gate going in had been squashed down to about 4 feet from 14.. the roof slid down behind the props the minute the AFC was advanced.. basically a big steel roof with 4 hydraulic props, one on each corner about 8 x 4, lined up next to each other for 250 yards.. the gauges on the props where right on the limit at 8,000 psi and where leaking really badly.. That made me wonder...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

RichardK

posted on 22/10/13 at 01:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
quote:

Take care guys

R

I nearly wet myself with laughter, when I read that ! I thought you and Coozer were mates !

We are mates but still think that chop saw is mental

Take care all of you lot, especially you three, you know who you are.

Cheers

R

Staple balls

posted on 30/10/13 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Managed to pick up a reciprocating saw for £25 and blades for 6 quid a set from aldi today. Sorted.
stevebubs

posted on 30/10/13 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I still cringe thinking of being on J6, 4 miles out under the sea 1800 feet down... the tail gate going in had been squashed down to about 4 feet from 14.. the roof slid down behind the props the minute the AFC was advanced.. basically a big steel roof with 4 hydraulic props, one on each corner about 8 x 4, lined up next to each other for 250 yards.. the gauges on the props where right on the limit at 8,000 psi and where leaking really badly.. That made me wonder...

Sorry... I have read this paragraph 3 times and still don't understand it... please explain?

slingshot2000

posted on 30/10/13 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:

Sorry... I have read this paragraph 3 times and still don't understand it... please explain?

Don't you have coal mines in Reading then ?

Regards
Jon

prawnabie

posted on 31/10/13 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Coal Mines? Must be a northern thing!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.