Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: newbie
scotcoub

posted on 21/10/13 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote

Hi there guys I am Scott I am from Kilmarnock 20mins from Glasgow my plan is to build a Haynes roadster just ordered the book. I am an auto electrician and have a mig welder in the garage and have access to most other tools i.e bandsaw's chop saws etc, just thought I would introduce myself before I start bugging you lot for help. lol

is it possible to put a bike engine in the chassis? I am not fully decided on what route to go as quite fancy 20ltr zetec on throttle bodies or turbo'd. I am fully looking forward to the full process and have no time deadlines for this build

thanks again Scott

ReMan

posted on 21/10/13 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi and welcome
Bike engine will fit in almost anything and is the future, like garlic bread
Scotland has a good number of builders on here and I am sure they will show themselves soon
You'll find theres not much not already covered here either so do a search for specifics, and ask away we're very friendly

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

snapper

posted on 21/10/13 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome
Right place to ask questions
First think check IVA manual
Second take photos of build
Don't be to scared of manual just ask here if your not sure
Also be aware there is a huge divide between car engined and bike engines builder
All good humour but firm in their belief

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

scotcoub

posted on 21/10/13 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys looking forward to the banter just don't know what side of the fence il be on, Iva manual where do I purchess this? Cheers scott
adithorp

posted on 21/10/13 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotcoub
Iva manual where do I purchess this? Cheers scott

There's links to it from HERE

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

stevio73

posted on 21/10/13 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, Iva is the stumbling block. I've looked at it and not made a whole load of sense out of it.

But..... I have heard there are other ways. I couldn't possibly mention them though as I may be shot at dawn for even thinking such things!!

Quick as a flash...... Nothing happens!

ReMan

posted on 21/10/13 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I Cant believe I'm saying this with my inherent dislike of (particularly) government burocracy and big brother approach, but the IVA as was the SVA, should not be seen as a stumbling block;.
Minor nuisance and government money spinner yes, but perfectly achievable and mainly reasonable in intent, if you set out to pass it at the outset, rather than it be an afterthought after the build

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

bi22le

posted on 22/10/13 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome.

If ypu are not decided on bike or car then you should enjoy the opportunity to blag rides out in each type.
They are chalk and cheese and depending on intended use, expectations, your age as well as taste will decide what you go for.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Slimy38

posted on 22/10/13 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
I Cant believe I'm saying this with my inherent dislike of (particularly) government burocracy and big brother approach, but the IVA as was the SVA, should not be seen as a stumbling block;.
Minor nuisance and government money spinner yes, but perfectly achievable and mainly reasonable in intent, if you set out to pass it at the outset, rather than it be an afterthought after the build

Agreed, while some of the tests might seem a little overkill it did seem to succeed in its intent to get a large amount of rubbish off the road and bring the overall standards of kit cars up a fair few notches. And once we see the end of all Duttons (or rather, those Duttons that look suspiciously like all sorts of other cars), then it should be quite a happy place.

I've seen a fair few builders put together a track car (and hence no IVA) but then struggle to get them on the road. Whereas I believe that even if you are aiming for a track car, you should still have one eye on the IVA to ensure you're not putting together something that is unroadworthy.

mcerd1

posted on 22/10/13 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
welcome
there are quite a few of us north of the border, even a few in Kilmarnock

don't let the IVA manual scare you off, plenty of folk have passed the test with these cars now.
have a read through as many build threads/diarys as you can and you'll soon get an idea of whats involved

quote:
Originally posted by scotcoub
Cheers guys looking forward to the banter just don't know what side of the fence il be on, Iva manual where do I purchess this? Cheers scott

^^ as the others said there is only one way to find out if you'll like BEC [bike engine car] and thats to go for a ride in one
most folk either love them or hate them...

you can make a huge range of engines fit these cars if your starting from scratch, the biggest issues are often the choice of gearboxes avalible and the height or width of the engine itself (some are just a bit too tall or wide to fit in the chassis / bodywork)

what donor car have you got in mind for the running gear of your car ?
the roadster book is written with sierra's in mind, but they are getting hard to find
(MX5's are becoming very popular donors instead)

-

ChrisL

posted on 22/10/13 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
20 ltr Zetec, that'd be blindingly quick!
Welcome btw :-)

scotcoub

posted on 24/10/13 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the reply's guys ave been away with work for a few days. im not sure on donor was thinking the mx5 but really not sure tbh. and id love a 20ltr but just a typo lol

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.