Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: crossflow help needed
nick-york

posted on 23/10/13 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
crossflow help needed

Hi ! im hoping to have my engine running by christmas so planning ahead !The trouble is that it has been sat around for maybe 5 or 6 years . Its been stored undercover while ive owned it but i suppose its still been exposed to some damp to some degree. So is there anything i can do to make sure it will physically turn over when the time comes ? I dont want to be doing anything to it which might damage it so im after a bit of advice from you lot again ! I think ive read somewhere on here about pouring oil down the spark plug holes but cant find the thread . So i might be wrong about that !cheers .
unijacko67

posted on 23/10/13 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
You could spray a bit of wd40 down the plug holes while turning it over, it might just help remove any slight surface rust from the bore's if there is any. Do you intend a re-build or is it ready to go. If its ready ish to go I wouldn't clog it up with too much oil at this stage as you will be frapping it up soon.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 23/10/13 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
You need to turn it over by hand, odds are it will be very stiff or even sized take the plugs out and soak the bores with Plus Gas first, work the crank throughh a few degrees in both directions even if it only moves a fraction of a degree don't use excessive force

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

unijacko67

posted on 23/10/13 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, sorry don't wizz it over with the starter. By hand and take time to not get any heat into it until its good and free.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick-york

posted on 23/10/13 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by unijacko67
You could spray a bit of wd40 down the plug holes while turning it over, it might just help remove any slight surface rust from the bore's if there is any. Do you intend a re-build or is it ready to go. If its ready ish to go I wouldn't clog it up with too much oil at this stage as you will be frapping it up soon. As far as i know the engine has been stripped down and rebuilt.

nick-york

posted on 23/10/13 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help !roll on christmas !!
unijacko67

posted on 23/10/13 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
I Hope it all goes well. Ford crossflow was the first car engine I built (27 years ago, poo I'm OLD), 1700cc 711M with a piper 285 camshaft and offset dowels to get the cam timing perfect. Good times.

Keep us posted.

JeffHs

posted on 24/10/13 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
If the clutch is still fitted, chances are it's stuck to the flywheel so I would pull it apart before fitting it to the car.
redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 24/10/13 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
When I have to lay and engine up I usually put fusous oil in the system, but probably a bit late in this case. This oil is normally pumped through the injection system bu also works in the bores......
nick-york

posted on 24/10/13 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JeffHs
If the clutch is still fitted, chances are it's stuck to the flywheel so I would pull it apart before fitting it to the car.
Hi ! The engine and gearbox are already fitted .So if the clutch is stuck is there another way of freeing it without taking the gearbox off ? - nick

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 25/10/13 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
You need someone to depress the clutch pedal/lever and a long thin screwdriver through the release bearing hole should do it. Had this with a Westfield that had been stood quite some time.
nick-york

posted on 25/10/13 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redturner
You need someone to depress the clutch pedal/lever and a long thin screwdriver through the release bearing hole should do it. Had this with a Westfield that had been stood quite some time.
Cheers ! Easier than taking gearbox off !

JeffHs

posted on 25/10/13 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I've had it happen several times with cars that have been standing. They've always come unstuck eventually by resorting to trying to start the car in gear with the brakes on. Worst one was a Mini that had been sat for 3 or 4 years. It took ages but finally went with a bang. Car was then put back on the road with no further work apart from oil change and went on to do 10,000 miles as a daily hack.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.