Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insuring a Transit with a cherry picker HELP!!!!
fha772

posted on 23/10/13 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Insuring a Transit with a cherry picker HELP!!!!

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of trouble finding an insurance company that will insure the transit pictured below.

I've so far tried about 12-15 companies, and I've only managed to get 1 to give me a quote, and that's over £750!!!
Non of the comparison sites will give me a quote either.

It's not being used for business, my dad and I have bought it between us, to do maintenance on our own buildings, and that sort of thing.

TBH, the only reason we need to insure it, is that we live on a main road, and for us to use it, it'll have to be insured and taxed (it's MOT exempt).

It's barely going to do 1000 miles a year, and is just for our own use.

Can anyone recommend an insurer that will cover this?

Because I'm running out of places to try, as soon as you say "cherry picker", they can't hang up fast enough!!

Cheers Frank.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

slingshot2000

posted on 23/10/13 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
It isn't the vehicle they are avoiding covering, it is the damage that you can do with it, ie; hitting over head cables, dropping stuff on pedestrians and other road-users etc. Have you any proof that you know how to use it, working at height etc etc ?
If you were a business and had Public Liability insurance in place that covered using the cherry picker, you may find it much easier to get cover for it.

Van insurance is much cheaper for tradesmen than members of the public.

Regards
Jon

ashg

posted on 23/10/13 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think I would have even thought to mention that it had a cherry picker bolted to it.

Give them the reg tell them its a transit, its not modified from the manufacturers specification and see what the come back with.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Paul AS

posted on 23/10/13 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm? Perhaps the words insurance fraud spring to mind? I sympathise with the situation, but effectively having no insurance, due to deliberately withholding information about the vehicle modifications is unwise?

TBH its difficult to miss a ruddy great steel girder sticking out of the top of your tranny van and then pleading ignorance after the fact in the event of a third party claim.

v8kid

posted on 24/10/13 at 05:04 AM Reply With Quote
Could you make it into a trailer and then you would no need insurance? Remove the engine box and prop shaft ,declare it scrapped, and tow it between your houses

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rgrs

posted on 24/10/13 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
You will need to try a commercial vehicle insurer, Check it's weight, the one I use also with a 36nf boom is on an iveco commercial chassis not a transit as it's rated at 4.2 Tons.

As ford never built these they are conversions, and yes they are mot and tax exempt but make sure your records are squeaky clean, including it's loler. Otherwise you probably might have an issue in the event of a claim.

Roger

fha772

posted on 24/10/13 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
It has 6 months loler left on the cherry picker, it's not tax exempt, but it does come under special vehicles, like my lorries.
But even the commercial insurers are not quoting, it's just completely baffling me that I can't get quotes for, it's not that out of the ordinary, is it?

As far as them asking about safety certification, and qualifications, we don't even get that far!!

The basic conversations I've had so far go like this...
Me, "Hello, I'm looking for a quote on a Transit I've just bought, that has a cherry picker factory conversion fitted."
Broker, "No, we won't quote you for that, good bye."

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 24/10/13 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
I have had a huge amount of grief with insurance companies in the last 2 years. As a private individual, insuring my rot-box Transhit has become a (sick) joke. It's used for SDP only, simply to tow the car with at weekends. Insurance went from ca. £150 pa to £300 pa last year, to £500 pa this year. Lots of NCD, no points and i don't live in London or Manchester. These were the cheapest quotes I could find. I don't know what to do next year, I guess it'll be approaching £1000.

Anyway - if you haven't tried the NFU, give them a call, they've been reasonable.

fha772

posted on 24/10/13 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
I've tried NFU, they wouldn't gib me a quote, useless I had another vehicle insured with them first.

owelly

posted on 24/10/13 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Have you tried a fleet policy? You have enough vehicles in your family and enough businesses!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
morcus

posted on 24/10/13 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
As others have said it's hard to get insurance on trade vehicles being used purely for private use. Back in the days when you couldn't get cheap mpv's my dad had this issue with a few limos, taxis and minibuses.

Could you set up a company and get trade insurance but never actually do any jobs? I don't know how it works but it might be possible, on the other hand it could be fraud.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

andrew.carwithen

posted on 24/10/13 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
When you say it's for private use - will you be on private land when operating it or will it be from the public highway?
If it's from the highway, do you carry the appropriate signing, lighting and guarding and been trained in the use of?

Are you and your dad trained in the use of MEWPs (mobile elevating works platforms) and carry the appropriate certification to do so? Do you have the safety harnesses and lanyards for when operating the bucket?

Do you both know how to switch between ground and bucket controls and what the procedure is to recover the bucket and operator to the ground in the event of the bucket controls failing or the operator collapsing?

Do you know the rules for working within the proximity of overhead power lines and the minimum distances which should be maintained to prevent 'flashover' between the power lines and bucket operator?

Its not simply a case of knowing how to operate the controls but all about the safety aspects to both yourselves and members of the public in doing so.
This is probably why you're finding it difficult to get insurance on such a vehicle for private use.

britishtrident

posted on 24/10/13 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
It will also need to be insured as a lifting device ---- with inspections by an insurance company engineer.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.