Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Everyone survived the storm?
David Jenkins

posted on 28/10/13 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Everyone survived the storm?

This is mostly for people in the southern half of Britain!

Just wondering - did everyone get away without personal injury or damage to property in the storm?

There were high winds in the early morning around my house in the early hours but no damage, although our apple tree no longer has any apples on it! The effects seem to have been very localised and random, with a double-decker bus thrown onto its side just 5 miles away. That was in a relatively sheltered flat valley, not exactly a wide-open heathland.

The only other annoyance was a 45 minute power cut early this morning, but that's hardly life-threatening (for me, anyway).

pekwah1

posted on 28/10/13 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
What storm!!?!

Apart from some wheelie bins and a few puddles i really don't see what the panic was about!
On the plus side, because the weather people scared the crap out of everyone, the roads were pretty empty this morning!

ashg

posted on 28/10/13 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
I have a rather large snapped branch on our oak tree hanging on by a few strands supported by the branches below just above the garage roof. Hopefully the wind will die down so I can get up there with the chain saw before it falls in an unfavourable direction.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

PSpirine

posted on 28/10/13 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'm about 30 miles south of Birmingham, and other than some fallen leaves, it's hardly been a storm.. A few big-ish puddles on some roads, but if my Prius can get through without drowning, it's not exactly a flood.

Mind you, this coming from someone who went out for a stroll in Boston during Hurricane Irene a few years ago - was amazing, I think there were about 3 other people on the streets!

Appreciate that the south coast might be a bit worse though! Don't park near a tree!

twybrow

posted on 28/10/13 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I am just a few miles from the Needles (where they recorded a 99mph gust), and I slept through it all. Locally, there is little to see apart from a few downed branches/trees and a lot of leaves on the ground.... A bit of an anticlimax really!
iank

posted on 28/10/13 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
It's shut down Schipol airport today which is a huge pita since I was due to fly 9.25am - thought I'd lucked out not going via LHR, but nooooo.

Off via Paris CDG tomorrow...

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Ben_Copeland

posted on 28/10/13 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
3 blocked roads on my way to work this morning. Including a very smashed car that drove into one of the trees.

5am this morning I was being about all over the place on the m2.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

loggyboy

posted on 28/10/13 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
IT WAS TERRIBLE!

I had to pick up BOTH my wheelie bins, and contend with ONE roundabout that the traffic lights were broken - I dont know how I made it to work alive.

On a positive note, the lights keep flickering it at work so I hoping that spreads to the mains so I can go home early.

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 28/10/13 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Our office is three quarters empty, mainly because it's largely train commuters. The only thing I lost in the 'storm' last night was a decent nights sleep, mainly because something outside my window was making a delightful whistling noise!
eddie99

posted on 28/10/13 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
We've had a fair bit of damage, 3 holes in the roof from tiles falling and hitting other parts of roof, big tree down and it's smashed some glass and taken out a big metal shutter door, also no power

Also the old barn with the shutter door has shifted in the wind and will now be demolished and rebuilt, so we're going to be fighting the damage for some time!

I'll try and post pics later

[Edited on 28/10/13 by eddie99]

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coozer

posted on 28/10/13 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Nice blue sky's here, just on cutting the grass..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

morcus

posted on 28/10/13 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Not so bad in South Glos, these things always happen on my days off, I was looking forward to a trip to Hereford but the roads are closed apparantly.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

steve m

posted on 28/10/13 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Im with Pekwah1, and live 15 miles from him

What storm ?
Twas a bit windy, and we have lots of leaves twigs etc but that was it

A real shame that a couple of people died,

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

jossey

posted on 28/10/13 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
All ok here.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Worzey

posted on 28/10/13 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'm less than 5 miles from you Steve but lost the felt from my shed roof and have been without power for 12 hours.

Going a whole day without a hot cup of tea has been traumatic! Still no news on when power will return.

Off to buy batteries and candles...

Caterham R400

40inches

posted on 28/10/13 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Has there been a storm?

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 28/10/13 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Just water, and lots of it. Drains are backed up, sewage is unpleasant, but I'll give Anglian Water another day before I call to get it all unblocked. They're probably a bit overstretched and I don't mind defacating in the garden.
MP3C

posted on 28/10/13 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
I was expecting to get into work today and be flooded (excuse the pun) with phone calls from our tenants complaining about leaking, flooding and damaged property. However we have only had 4 phone calls! 2 leaking roofs 1 flooded utility and 1 property with no power. I didn't even notice any wind, it was completely still at about 6 this morning just had quite a lot of rain and this was in the West Midlands. Looks like the south got hit a lot harder though.

Matt

mcerd1

posted on 28/10/13 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Our office is three quarters empty, mainly because it's largely train commuters.

that might not be anything to do with the storm....

I was on the train last night (york heading north, so well clear of most of the weather) and that was 40 min late by the time it got to edinburgh for no reason at all
(the way things were going I'm not sure if the folk going to aberdeen ever made it....)

and thats after getting delayed by nearly 2 hours on the way down (the train broke before we left, then some idiot was standing on a bridge threatening to jump )

-

MkII

posted on 28/10/13 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
I think some of you southerners have been experiencing what we in the north call summer!!

[Edited on 28/10/13 by MkII]

ashg

posted on 28/10/13 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
I have a rather large snapped branch on our oak tree hanging on by a few strands supported by the branches below just above the garage roof. Hopefully the wind will die down so I can get up there with the chain saw before it falls in an unfavourable direction.

offending branch now removed. was a bit hairy climbing to the top of my 35ft ladders in the wind, then climbing further up the tree out onto a branch that was swaying round in the wind with a chain saw. all of this was happening while my neighbour pulled on a rope attached to the massive 12inch thick snapped branch to stop it landing on the garage roof as i went through it with the chain saw.

im am now rather sweaty and worn out.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

steve m

posted on 28/10/13 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Good one Ash, glad it worked out !!

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

nick205

posted on 28/10/13 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Power cut from 6am to about 1pm here and the interweb's been dog slow all day. Other than that and a lot of leaves, nothing much going on.

perksy

posted on 28/10/13 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Spot of Rain and the Wheelie bin fell over, that's about it....

I was on-call last night and thought it might be a good earner, but i got nowt

stevebubs

posted on 28/10/13 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Had to close the window to shut out the noise, then roll over SWMBO as she was doing a walrus impression....other than that - peaceful night...
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.