Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra push in driveshaft refurb/cv change?
striker-euan

posted on 30/10/13 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra push in driveshaft refurb/cv change?

Hi
It seems the inner CV(/tripod thing) on the nearside driveshaft has play in it and is leaking grease. I naively thought that changing a CV joint would be cheap and easy - but it seems not.

What are my options here?
1) Is there somewhere I can send the shaft to change/refurb the joint? If so, any recommendations, price indications?

2) Once I identify which variant of shaft I have then I could buy a new one from buypartsby or jandrcvjoints. But I'd then need to get it shortened by Raw or Geoff Berrisford or someone. This looks like a pricey option.

They are push in shafts going into a 7" sierra diff and drum brakes are being used.

Any advice appreciated.
Euan

loggyboy

posted on 30/10/13 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Push in shaft parts are scarce and even ford only supply some of the parts you need.
I have seen the tripod part itself come up on ebay once every so often.
This is one of the reasons I moved to Bolt on shafts as I wanted all new parts where possible for my build.

You will be better off buying used shafts if you have lots of play, and simply replacing the cans and boots that are available from ford.
If you shafts are standard length (unlikely on a striker) then i think you can buy complete shafts sets off ebay, again not cheap.

Mistral Motorsport

40inches

posted on 30/10/13 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
£140 for a new pair. ebay Not worth the hassle of rebuiding your own. IMHO

Just reread your post, you should be able to get the shafts shortened and sleeved for a reasonable price, or give the ebay company a call, they may be able to supply shortened shafts.

[Edited on 30-10-13 by 40inches]

loggyboy

posted on 30/10/13 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Buying new will also need to add another 4x£15 to replace the cans as they are nearly impossbile to remove without destroying (haynes recommends cutting, But i have heard some have managed to hammer them off and reuse).

I have a set of stripped push-in shafts that im no longer using. Were in good working order when removed (from a 73k mile donor) - They just need new cans and maybe new boots.

EDIT having said that, it looks like JR are producing a style of CV that differs from Fords original design, so there are no Cans to remove, only a CV boot.

[Edited on 30-10-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.