Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Water/meth injection advice
dave_424

posted on 30/10/13 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Water/meth injection advice

Hi guys, I need a little bit of advice on water/meth injection.

My engine is currently a turbo Kawasaki ZK9, completely stock 11.5:1 compression running 7psi of boost.

I have a set of forged pistons to go in and am going to drop compression to 9:1 and want to turn the boost up to about 1 bar

I managed to score a used water/meth injection set up off ebay for a good price, but it's a tangle of wires and relays. I want to start fresh using the component parts.

I have the high pressure pump that switches itself off at 100psi, a standard 12v solenoid and a pressure switch.

All components work, so I was wondering if I could wire it up like this

Pump on switched 12v, it pressurises the system then stops
Pressure switch to a relay that opens the solenoid
When solenoid opens the pump starts pumping again since it sees the pressure drop.

Seems too easy?

I will also wire in an LED into the pump power wires so that I know that the pump is working.

I have an MS2 which can trigger the relay to open the solenoid, would it be better to use that, or the mechanical pressure switch?(pressure switch has a piece of plastic on a diaphragm that rises and presses a microswitch)

Also is screenwash a useable fluid?

Dave

coyoteboy

posted on 30/10/13 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
If you're running 7psi on 11.5:1 I'd have thought (with no experience of this engine!) that 9:1 would see you fine without water inj assuming your compressor isn't running massively outside it's nominal best efficiency?

dave_424

posted on 30/10/13 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah good point, from what I can tell from the compressor map I am still in the 76-75% efficiency island of the compressor, but I have the water/meth stuff now. Unless I hold off for now, forged pistons and 9:1CR and run 1bar then look at water/meth for when I decide to go for a bigger turbo.

Dave

hobbsy

posted on 31/10/13 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
There is a chap on here with a 5vy r1 in a Caterham running a rotrex sc and standard compression with meth injection (not water or diluted). Also has a compression lowered engine without meth but obviously the meth one makes more power. Not sure how much boost he is running
elizaharry

posted on 22/11/13 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
The main function of "water injection" is to lower charge temps due to the latent heat capacity of water...... has been used for years and lots of aero engines used this.

truck driving CDL schools

froggy

posted on 22/11/13 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Safeguards are the most important thing to sort with water meth so you revert to base boost if pressure drops or iat goes over a certain level , I think coolingmist have some features built in to their controller so you can inject based on boost iat or egt . I buy distilled water and meth in 25 litre drums so it works out at £3 per gallon .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

FuryRebuild

posted on 22/11/13 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
This is really interesting stuff - I'm building a higher compression duratec and am tempted to add this regardless - I'm not supercharging until the next iteration a little later. My setup is from SBD and is a stage2 cam, uprated valvespring set, uprated pistons and rods as well as bearings and bolts.

This appeals because of the steam scrubbing, extra horsepower and the fact that it can be timed and tuned a little harder.

Has anyone had any experience of doing this on throttle-bodies?

How much watermeth do you get through? most of the kits seem to be 1 gallon tanks, so I assume it stretches far enough.

Thanks
Mark

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.