Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 205 GTI project
nick205

posted on 4/11/13 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
205 GTI project

Finally got around to getting myself a 205 GTI after many years of missing my previous ones

F plate 1.9 with 110k on the clock. Not a show car by any means, but then I was after a bit of a project. It is generally clean and tidy for a 25 yr old car, although the inner wings and one sill will need attention at some point.

First up is some proper wheels for it (hopefully sorted via another LCB member). Then a few niggles like repairing the rear wash/wipe and refitting a standard air box, filter and trunking in place of the current K&N cone filter.

Engine is in very good fettle, with a decent service history. Starts, idles and pulls cleanly with no smoke.

Reacquinting myself with 80's style motoring and non power steering - its very refreshing! My Passat feels even more numb now

carlknight1982

posted on 4/11/13 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I miss my 205 still but cant warrant a third car with the 7 and the Daily driver,
Jealous now

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

nick205

posted on 4/11/13 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carlknight1982
I miss my 205 still but cant warrant a third car with the 7 and the Daily driver,
Jealous now

I had to forgo my MK a few years ago after our twins arrived taking us from 1 to 3 kids!

Now aged 7, 5 and 5 they are all mini petrol heads and have taken to the 205 very well

carlknight1982

posted on 4/11/13 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ive managed to keep mine despite the 3 kids mine a 6 7 and 8 and again like you all petrol heads

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

Neb

posted on 4/11/13 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
I miss my 205 Gti too. Our daughter delivered to hospital and returned when she was born. The journey there is something i will always remember.

The wheels that are currently on it are worth a bit. They are 405 Mi16 ones and i think wider. Very rare now.

I had a hankering for a Pug hot hatch last year and bought a 106 Rallye S2. It's almost as good as the 205 but doen't quite have the character!
I now have 2, S2 road car is about 160hp and goes round a corner like it on rails.
I have an s1 1300 rallye too which is a road rally car.

Best of luck with it!

HowardB

posted on 4/11/13 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
I miss mine, I had a 1.6 it was awesome fun

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 4/11/13 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
I want one now.

To the classifieds!

nick205

posted on 4/11/13 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neb

The wheels that are currently on it are worth a bit. They are 405 Mi16 ones and i think wider. Very rare now.

I did check around and realised they might be quite saleable. I was thinking of keeping them as a winter set, but if I can geta reasonable amount for them it'll offset some of the other bits I need.

morcus

posted on 4/11/13 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
I miss my regular 205, a 1.6 auto with a carb and when it was working it felt quicker than anything I've had since (The Vectra is faster, and the Eunos should have been but I'm not convinced).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

nick205

posted on 4/11/13 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
I miss my regular 205, a 1.6 auto with a carb and when it was working it felt quicker than anything I've had since (The Vectra is faster, and the Eunos should have been but I'm not convinced).

The speed is part perceived IMHO. Narrow A and B pillars with a low waist line and your face really quite close to the windscreen make you feel very exposed compared to modern cars. The firm ride and minimal sound proofing also play a big part as does the lack of inertia due to low kerb weight.

Such good fun I fear I'm going to blow my 3k limited miles insurance in about 3 months

TimC

posted on 4/11/13 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'd like another 309 GTI (also owned 205XS, 205GTI and 309XSI in my youth.)

It'd be a straight swap for the 10AE MX-5 though so not an easy choice.

morcus

posted on 4/11/13 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've onlyreally had what most people would consider bad examples of both, (I'm disabled in a way that means I have to have autos) but I'd have a 205 over an mx5 any day. If I had some where to do it I'd like to get another one, and If I had the money I'd love one of the rare GTi Autos (I've seen 2 online, not entirely convinced they're real) or a Gentry or, more likely, swap the engine to get GTI type power and a better transmission.

Whats the inside like?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

loggyboy

posted on 4/11/13 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by morcus

The speed is part perceived IMHO. Narrow A and B pillars with a low waist line and your face really quite close to the windscreen make you feel very exposed compared to modern cars. The firm ride and minimal sound proofing also play a big part as does the lack of inertia due to low kerb weight.

Such good fun I fear I'm going to blow my 3k limited miles insurance in about 3 months

Im still convinced my Nova was the fastest car ever! lol seeing this is going to make me miss it more ...
80/90s hatchbacks =

[Edited on 4-11-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

sebastiaan

posted on 4/11/13 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Cool car! I had 106 S1 rallye very briefly and drove a mate's 1.9 years ago. Loved it to bits and have actually seriously considered one to replace the kit when the time came. Plumped for an old Alfa instead for added "character".

I've got a cheap set of the C5 lightweight "steelies" if you want them. Only one problem: They are in NL, so a good excuse for a trip to the ring to pick them up along the way? ;-)

MakeEverything

posted on 4/11/13 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Finally got around to getting myself a 205 GTI after many years of missing my previous ones

F plate 1.9 with 110k on the clock. Not a show car by any means, but then I was after a bit of a project. It is generally clean and tidy for a 25 yr old car, although the inner wings and one sill will need attention at some point.

First up is some proper wheels for it (hopefully sorted via another LCB member). Then a few niggles like repairing the rear wash/wipe and refitting a standard air box, filter and trunking in place of the current K&N cone filter.

Engine is in very good fettle, with a decent service history. Starts, idles and pulls cleanly with no smoke.

Reacquinting myself with 80's style motoring and non power steering - its very refreshing! My Passat feels even more numb now

that needs a ford 2.5 V6 and transverse box mounting in the back...

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Neb

posted on 4/11/13 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Had a Nova too.... 1600 GTE on twin 40's. It was the best car i ever owned..... until it rotted to pieces.

Quite different to the 106/205/306 though, very neutral handling (had ex GM sport De carbons & tarmac springs) compared to the Pug's which love to go sideways on lift off.

I've left my 106 as standard suspension wise but replaced with new gear and it is so easy to drive on the limit. Although i have just put 15" wheels & T1-R's on it and it has spoilt it a little. 2nd overall on the last autosolo though!

loggyboy

posted on 4/11/13 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neb
Had a Nova too.... 1600 GTE on twin 40's. It was the best car i ever owned..... until it rotted to pieces.

Quite different to the 106/205/306 though, very neutral handling (had ex GM sport De carbons & tarmac springs) compared to the Pug's which love to go sideways on lift off.

I've left my 106 as standard suspension wise but replaced with new gear and it is so easy to drive on the limit. Although i have just put 15" wheels & T1-R's on it and it has spoilt it a little. 2nd overall on the last autosolo though!

Mine used to lift off quite nicely, but I would expect that was due to the XE giving an anchor like 500:250kg weight distributution. Mine was also near the top of the autosolo timing sheets on most outings ..
...argh.... must stop... ebay search.... temptation....ARGH

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 4/11/13 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:

that needs a ford 2.5 V6 and transverse box mounting in the back...

Sorry, but NO it doesn't!

Just great the way it is

perksy

posted on 4/11/13 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Had a 1.6 and a 1.9 GTI

The 1.9 is possibly the only car i've ever regretted selling

Need to scratch the itch again one day as the 1.9 always put a smile on my face
after a bad day at work

[Edited on 4/11/13 by perksy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.