Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Guitar Project
r1_pete

posted on 11/11/13 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Guitar Project

There were a couple of posts last year about non car winter projects, I suggested building guitars and learning to play them.

I know many poeople on here are interested in guitars too

I thought you might be interested in one I have just put together, I bought all the best components I could afford:
1 Piece swamp ash body
Maple on Maple neck.
Shaller machine heads.
Wilkinson pickups
Full size pots and sprague tone capacitor.
Hardtail bridge, I hate tremelo's
Microtilt neck fixing.

Total cost was about £250, which is about what you can pay for a laminated bodied 'cheapie' I've spent a few hours setting it up, it has a great action, nice and easy to play, a little more work is needed triming the strings but it sounds superb through the 18watt marshall copy I built a few years ago....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jenko

posted on 11/11/13 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have a fender 59 custom shop relic, a gibson Les Paul Standard Plus, and a made up guitar I did myself using a Warmouth neck and body (Telecaster shape)...Of the three, it's the home built one that usually gets picked up and used at Gigs... :-)

P.S. love the guitar you've built.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

nick205

posted on 11/11/13 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Looks fantastic

Not Anumber

posted on 11/11/13 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
It looks really well made. Something to be very proud of making.

big-vee-twin

posted on 11/11/13 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
I made an SG in a similar fashion couple of years ago - no idea how to play it!!

I used Gibson parts and installed EMG pickups, has a rosewood neck and maple body.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

RK

posted on 11/11/13 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Looks very nice! I have made a couple of electrics myself, one bass and one similar to a Mosrite (the Johnny Ramone Special), made of maple (really really heavy, unfortunately). Anybody wanting to do this, should realise that it is a bit exacting, and start out with a bought neck. If the neck doesn't turn out well, it is very much a handful to play.

It is very rewarding to do, and in the 90's was expensive, but eventually the neck broke on the bass, and the paint was so bad on the 6 string, I took everything off a few years ago, and started (unsuccessfully) painting it. I ended up getting a new Les Paul on sale one day, and haven't looked back! I have to say the SOUND from the two instruments was very very good: they just haven't been the most playable guitars I've had.

Simon

posted on 11/11/13 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
There were a couple of posts last year about non car winter projects, I suggested building guitars and learning to play them.

I like yours

Last year bought a cheapie guitar/amp combo and am still quite frustrated at how slow learning to play is. As of this week, I'm upping my practice time to at least an hour a day as opposed to 2 a week if I'm lucky! Do find myself struggling to make quite a lot of chord shapes, and having my fat fingers muting strings

Managed to break my first string just yesterday, so think I'll have to frame that

Have a slightly bigger amp on order and will be getting myself a Cort X-6 VPR prob for my birthday middle of next year, assuming I haven't thrown my toys out of the pram in frustration

ATB

Simon

chris-g

posted on 11/11/13 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
These are my efforts, both built from scratch. It helped that I was able to use my violin making uncles workshop and he donated the flamed maple for the electric. The acoustic is very, very nice.

Smoking Frog

posted on 11/11/13 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good and a great winter project. I have no interest in playing but do admire the workmanship.
RK

posted on 11/11/13 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone interested in playing should get themselves right down to the nearest reputable music shop and let them know you want a teacher. Contrary to the image some classical teachers have - you know, driving all the creativity out of the poor student - it will lead to nothing but good things (if you find a person you are comfortable with).

Search: Rob Chapman "Motivation" on you tube...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.