Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CAT D information
omega0684

posted on 19/11/13 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
CAT D information

Hi guys

I have seen a car for sale that has been declared a cat d write off and been repaired a couple of years ago (owner says it was a rear end shunt). Is there anywhere I can get the information about the incident, or details of the damage or repairs carried out? For the mileage the car has done I think it would be a bargain if I can get her down a few hundred quid

Alex

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
puma931

posted on 19/11/13 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Check if the seller has photos.
I kept some for my old focus RS that was reshelled.

r1_pete

posted on 19/11/13 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Would an HPI check give the details you need??
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 19/11/13 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
No, the HPI only tells you that it was a total loss. There is no official record of the damage sustained or repairs made.
mark chandler

posted on 19/11/13 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a couple of cat D cars, you would never have known if repaired correctly, a split bumper can consign a car to write off these days.

Thing to watch is insurance, it can cost more so this can quickly close the savings gap.

steve m

posted on 19/11/13 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have never bought a cat d, but have bought cat c, with no problem,

my current 2008 mondeo is a cat c, cost £5000 at 11 months old, (ie aug 2009 ) and cost me £1000 to get back on the road, with panel damage
and a few panels painted, also including 4 new tyres

Value would of been about 14k if not declared a Cat c, and about 10k if I did declare it,

Its been a VERY CHEAP CAR, and I might dispose of it soon, yet its still worth about 5k as is its stands

So I have lost nothing !!!

and had 5 ish years very cheap motoring

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

ste

posted on 19/11/13 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Thing to watch is insurance, it can cost more so this can quickly close the savings gap.

Been running Cat Cs and Ds for years and never had any additional costs from insurance.

chrism

posted on 19/11/13 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ste
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler

Been running Cat Cs and Ds for years and never had any additional costs from insurance.

Sounds like a ripoff, if anything insurance should be cheaper as they will be paying out less for the car if it gets written off again.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

MP3C

posted on 20/11/13 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
My current car (MG ZR) was a cat d write off rear end shunt. I bought it from a bloke who specifically purchased the cat d cars and repaired them ect. got it for a really good price aswell with low mileage and have never had a problem. There is a slight mark on the bumper and some damage in the boot (can only see if you lift up the boot carpet etc. ) the guy however had photos of the damage before the car was repaired so there are bound to be photos of it somewhere. I would ask her if she has any so you can see the extent of the damage although when I looked at mine it looked alot worse than it was (crumple zones ect. designed to help but look nasty)

If it has been repaired a few years ago and she has had no problems with it then I would suggest go for it (going from experience of mine being sound and reliable) just check before you buy for water leaking in and check under the boot carpet etc and you should see the damage/repairs which should be visible - if not then it was probably hit somewhere else and you need to play detective and look around the car.

Hope it helps

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.