Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dodgy M3 engine?
Nickp

posted on 25/11/13 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Dodgy M3 engine?

Even though my Haynes is supposed to be getting a 2.8 BMW M52 engine I can't help taking the odd look at M3 lumps (same block so should drop straight in). So I spotted a far too cheap (£800) 3.2 EVO lump c/w gearbox, ECU, EWS, loom etc on Gumtree today and sent a text. 2 mins later I got a call from a witheld number and the 'Scouse' caller told me the engine was on the Wirral (not London as stated in the ad??). I asked why the number was witheld (and said I wanted to call them back later) and was told it was the office phone even though it was clearly a mobile judging by the background noise!! I then asked for them to text or call me back with a number to contact them, but don't imagine this'll happen. Also asked if they had the V5 to go with the engine for when I register it so very very much doubt these dodgy scousers will be in touch anytime soon!! When things look too good to be true, they usually are
MsD

posted on 25/11/13 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my Caddy from Liverpool... Only noticed a few months later that the front and back plates were different!

I find there's a few dodgy characters on Gumtree / pre-loved etc. Maybe its just because its free!

Mark.

Nickp

posted on 25/11/13 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MsD
I bought my Caddy from Liverpool... Only noticed a few months later that the front and back plates were different!

Was one of them right?

franky

posted on 25/11/13 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
Even though my Haynes is supposed to be getting a 2.8 BMW M52 engine I can't help taking the odd look at M3 lumps (same block so should drop straight in). So I spotted a far too cheap (£800) 3.2 EVO lump c/w gearbox, ECU, EWS, loom etc on Gumtree today and sent a text. 2 mins later I got a call from a witheld number and the 'Scouse' caller told me the engine was on the Wirral (not London as stated in the ad??). I asked why the number was witheld (and said I wanted to call them back later) and was told it was the office phone even though it was clearly a mobile judging by the background noise!! I then asked for them to text or call me back with a number to contact them, but don't imagine this'll happen. Also asked if they had the V5 to go with the engine for when I register it so very very much doubt these dodgy scousers will be in touch anytime soon!! When things look too good to be true, they usually are

An m3 lump wont go straight in a 2.8 hole, it all depends on how tight it is at the front of the engine?

MsD

posted on 25/11/13 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MsD

Was one of them right?

Well one was registered to a caddy, So that's the one I went with! I did get a shock when I went into VW and quoted my numberplate to be given a puzzled look and told it was a Mondeo!!

Nickp

posted on 25/11/13 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
quote:

An m3 lump wont go straight in a 2.8 hole, it all depends on how tight it is at the front of the engine?

It's Ok I'm still at the stage where it should be able to be made to fit, if that's what i decide to do

blakep82

posted on 25/11/13 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a complete 328 here, engine runs, but theres a dodgy sensor somewhere, I wasnt working, it just got too expensive for me to run, so I left it on the frive waiting for better times which never came. Yours for 600

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

rodgling

posted on 25/11/13 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
You can have my M3 evo block + crank + pistons for free if you like. Needs head, sump, ancillaries, and a crank regrind/polish, so probably no cheaper than buying a complete engine, but maybe a good option if you want to build a high spec engine.

[Edited on 25/11/13 by rodgling]

Nickp

posted on 25/11/13 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
You can have my M3 evo block + crank + pistons for free if you like. Needs head, sump, ancillaries, and a crank regrind/polish, so probably no cheaper than buying a complete engine, but maybe a good option if you want to build a high spec engine.

[Edited on 25/11/13 by rodgling]

Ta fella I'll bear it in mind

Nickp

posted on 25/11/13 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
Ive got a complete 328 here, engine runs, but theres a dodgy sensor somewhere, I wasnt working, it just got too expensive for me to run, so I left it on the frive waiting for better times which never came. Yours for 600

Ta but I've already been offered one in Scotland for £250 and TBH I'm not ready for one and it'd only get in the way.

nick205

posted on 25/11/13 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a steal to order job to me, you call and show interest, they go out and "get" one for you.

Nickp

posted on 25/11/13 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Sounds like a steal to order job to me, you call and show interest, they go out and "get" one for you.

Quite probably. I think I asked enough questions for them to know we won't be doing business

NigeEss

posted on 26/11/13 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
I live on the Wirral, if you can get the chap to give an address I'll happily go and have a lookSee

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Nickp

posted on 26/11/13 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
I live on the Wirral, if you can get the chap to give an address I'll happily go and have a lookSee

Nice one, ta TBH I doubt I'll hear from them, not after mentioning I need a contact number and a V5.

Nickp

posted on 26/11/13 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Surprisingly he's just texted me to say there's no V5 available as the car came from an insurance company, however he's offered to supply me with the vehicles VIN and engine number tomorrow. So maybe it is legit? What's the best / cheapest (preferably free ) way to check the VIN and engine number? I'll be hoping to find that the car was in fact an insurance write off and not showing as 'nicked'.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.