Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Decent brakes under 14"rim?
StrikerChris

posted on 27/11/13 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Decent brakes under 14"rim?

Just throwing it out there.had one of those slightly tipsy ebay moments and ended up with an mg maestro a while back(nostagia kicked in,my dad had one back in the day).No horror story, ive accidently stumbled on the only none rusty maestro left .
I want to sort out some decent brakes before i throw a tomcat engine in it and also keep the horrific cheesegrater early rims its sat on.i havent found anyone who has upgraded and not had to go for the later 15"wheels, but most have used donors of a similar era, mk2 golfs etc.
Surely with cars getting so big and fat now there must be half decent calipers available in the scrappys that can stop a car which weighs less than a tonne on so called smaller cars.modifying and machining isnt a problem.
Any suggestions for small fwd to poke around would be appreciated.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nickp

posted on 27/11/13 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
If your calipers are Ok have you considered bracketing them out and just going for the biggest disc you can fit under there? When I put 14's on my Monte I went from a 240mm to a 257mm discs and even with the same calipers it made an amazing difference. If you keep the discs from the same 'family' you may even get the same PCD etc What about these? - http://brakeparts.co.uk/#page=parts&pageSection=BDF&mancode=ROVE&brand=ROVER&model=800+SERIES&modelversion=800*(92-99)+825+%26+827 +V6
StrikerChris

posted on 27/11/13 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'll have to have a measure up yeah, but im assuming, maybe wrongly that the past mods people have done are probably only any good as they were probably just bigger disks and calipers fitted them hence they fitted larger dia wheels.maybe i could do the same and make it all tighter and fit, I dont know.but then im not sure what size mk2 golfs had.being such an unpopular car and most people stopped playing with them years ago not many mods or conversions seem to be transferred to google! Can find hundreds of options for the imp fords etc

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nickp

posted on 27/11/13 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
You need to measure the clearance between the caliper and your 14" rim. If you've got more than 10mm then in theory you'll get a 260mm disc under there. A 20mm bigger disc with decent pads will give you much better brakes
britishtrident

posted on 28/11/13 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
The MG Maestro had the same brakes as the MG Montego Turbo Vented 240mm discs -- these cars had excellent brakes all that is required is a set of Mintex M1144 .

A word of warning although it appears a very simple job removing Maestro/Montego discs is far from easy fitting new discs would often end up with a new drive flange(hub) and wheel bearing being required. The disc rust so solidly to the drive flange that even on year old cars it usually required a decent disc puller & oxy-acetylene heat to get them off.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

MikeCapon

posted on 28/11/13 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
What BT says is spot on. I rallied and raced one of these in 89-94 and the stock brakes are fine with the Mintex pads. I also ran the factory car for one T Pond (RIP) which only ran once, at the Manx and won Gp N outright by nearly 3 minutes. Standard brakes (apart from a bias adjuster) with Mintex pads.

www.shock-factory.co.uk

StrikerChris

posted on 28/11/13 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Ok maybe I'll see what a set of pads does firt then.cheers for the replies
Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.