Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WTD: gas welder
steve8274

posted on 3/12/13 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
WTD: gas welder

Hi all
Looking to purchase myself a welder to do some welding on my mini. Complete novice at welding but after having a look and read around, it appears the one I want is a clarke 135te.
So before I go off and buy new or a complete unknown from eBay, thought I would ask on here if anyone is selling or considering selling theirs. I am in northwest but can travel a little if right one comes up.
Thanks
Steve

Bare

posted on 3/12/13 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Rust delay work on the Mini? Novice/gas welder and autobody is an unlikely combination.
Lotsa skill (read experience) butt joining bits of sheetmetal is mandatory IMO
Warps and holes are the usual result.
Not trying to disuade, but there are alleged 'professional' panel beaters who are clearly inept at it.
Perhaps a spot welder might prove more useful at the task?

prawnabie

posted on 3/12/13 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I think he means a gas MIG welding which is what a 135te is. I would get onto the MIG welding forum and look at the tutorials there aswell as they helped me no end when learning to TIG. Even novices can MIG to a decent standard with a little practice.

Shaun

r1_pete

posted on 3/12/13 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Take it you mean a gas MIG

Try and get a machine which goes down to 25 amps, most hobby sets are 30, which can be a touch to high for car bodywork.

You'll find welding upside down tricky, as the gas 'falls' away, so a set you can use flux cored wire is useful for upside downing.

Also buy yourself a joggler, which steps the metal so you can achieve a smooth lap joint.

If you have to do butt welds, clamp a piece of 2mm or so alloy behind to sink some of the heat away, it does help, I've butt welded the length of my E Type back wings using this technique. Its tricky but worth it.

As with all welding, practice practice practice, join the MIG Welding forum, people on there are really helpful, similar to on here, so don't fear asking the apparent silly question, we've all been there.

I use MIG TIG & Gas, so have made and seen most mistakes over the years.

Yes you'll blow holes, yes at first you'll think its impossible, but you'll get there, show me a man who never made a mistake, and I'll show you one who never made anything

[Edited on 3/12/13 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve8274

posted on 4/12/13 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses. Yes it is a mig welder I am planning on buying.
I have been viewing the mig welding forum a lot to gain some info but yet to join it.
Not seen any welders that go down that low an amp, they all seem to be around 30 like you say
Will keep looking
Thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.