Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Looking for BEC seven styled kit advice
kingster996

posted on 3/1/14 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Looking for BEC seven styled kit advice

Hi

I am new here and after a few weeks of lurking, decided to join and see if I can get some sound advice.

I have ridden bikes for over 35yrs and have built a few specials over that time as well as having a breakers in the 80s, so I have plenty of hands on experience with bikes and bike engines.

But I am kind of retiring from riding bikes due to fkd knees that won't take another spill (and I have no spare ligaments left to donate!), so seems like a logical step to try my hand at building a "seven" to help me with the withdrawal symptoms.

It also seems like a good plan to use a bike engine, as I love bikes, know a fair bit about them, miss the noise and am keen on track days and Sunday country lane terrorism.

However, I am open to suggestions and advice from more knowledgable people.

So, a couple of newbie style questions.

I have an initial budget of around the 5k mark - so bearing that in mind, what's a good affordable chassis and engine combination?

I will need to do it in stages due to cash flow, so engine then chassis or chassis then engine?

I can't weld to save my life, so need a pre built chassis and would be happy to buy a project that someone else has started - good plan?

I know a lot will always depend on quality of components etc and intend to upgrade as I go once my initial budget has gone, but can a BEC be done for 5k or am I dreaming?

Finally, SVA - how much do you need to allow for that or is it better to buy a previously sva'd project and strip it down to the chassis?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

jacko

posted on 3/1/14 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Save your self some time and hassle and look at buying a car that has already been iva tested there is no sva now
At this time of year £5000 may just about get you a car but as the sun comes out the price will go up

I know its great to say I built this car but its hard work and time consuming
O and welcome to the mad house

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 3/1/14 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingster996

It also seems like a good plan to use a bike engine, as I love bikes, know a fair bit about them, miss the noise and am keen on track days and Sunday country lane terrorism.

I can't weld to save my life, so need a pre built chassis and would be happy to buy a project that someone else has started - good plan?

Chris

Just picking up on two of your points here. Don't discount car engined cars, I am coming from a bike biased background but I'm building a car engined car. Mainly because there are far fewer things to worry about, but because the world of lightweight cars is very different to production cars and you'll have fun with either powerplant.

And the second is, take this opportunity to learn to weld!

T66

posted on 3/1/14 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
If your budget is £5K - as suggested earlier buy a built car, with mot & IVA. I love my car, and enjoy garage time but I stopped adding to my spreadsheet 2 years ago at £12,000.

Im not complaining or trying to put you off, but buying a built car then fettling it how you want it, is massively easier.

Not an expert welder, but if you want a lesson or two Im in Morpeth, you could pick up a decent used mig for peanuts, and having your own machine is very handy.

Ivan

kingster996

posted on 3/1/14 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Jacko did I say SVA doh, I meant IVA, thanks for the advice. One of the things I fancy doing is building, but saving unnecessary hassle is always a good plan. However, my budget needs to be spread out over several months so can't buy a complete car now, hence the thought of a build despite the fact it will work out more costly overall.

Slimy38, I haven't discounted CEC's just miss the sound and have the knowledge - we'll some anyhow. I guess a zetec and type9 is a decent option or is mx5 the way to these days?

Thanks for the info and welcome.

peter bland

posted on 3/1/14 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Where abouts are you? There is a number of 7ers around the coast ie Tynemouth,North shields with cec and bec,s.
kingster996

posted on 3/1/14 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Ivan, I kind of guessed that my 5k is a bit low for a decent build, so fully expect it to be more over a two year period should I get hooked. But guess I wanted to put the feelers out to see what's possible based on the experience of others.

I've been scouring eBay etc for months gauging prices and seeing what goes for what, but under no illusions about how easy it can be to spend silly money.

As for welding, I guess I'll have to learn so thanks for the offer!

daniel mason

posted on 3/1/14 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
my advice would be a used fury,phoenix or striker with iva for that money.if you could up the budget.id say a used westfield. youll spend a hell of a lot more if building from scratch unfortunately.
in fact if i knew how to use my computer properly,i could send you a linkv to a blade engined striker ive seen for sale on pistonheads. its on the money and BEC,very light and a good chassis! if i find it ill let you know where its at!

kingster996

posted on 3/1/14 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Peter, I'm just off the coast road near Hadrian golf club, so tynemoth is close. Would love to see some examples and talk to owners.
kingster996

posted on 3/1/14 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Daniel, thanks for the reply, problem is I can't get all of the budget in one go right now, hence the idea of a bit at a time.

I can probably up the ante over time, so an unfinished project or car with blown motor might do for starters.

Being self employed, I have to get jan 31st tax deadline over before I can start to find some spare cash again!

daniel mason

posted on 3/1/14 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
u2u sent

Hellfire

posted on 4/1/14 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon you could build a BEC with a £5K budget and two years gives you sufficient time to source bargains. Rather than sourcing a particular bike engine or chassis at this early stage, I'd keep an open mind and eyes out a part built/unfinished project whilst saving the funds required. If after two years, nothing has taken your fancy, then at least you'll have the funds to buy a fully built one outright.

Good choice of engine by the way Don't let people put you off the BEC idea.

Phil

kingster996

posted on 5/1/14 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Actually, 5k is my 'kick start' year 1 budget, probably available in 500 - 1k chunks over the next 6 months or so. Ideally I would like to have something up and running for that, then I'd look to add more to the project over two years if I get into it ;-)

I work for myself and so income varies, but I often have a 'good' month that gives me a healthy chunk of spare dosh for the toy dept.

So, I might save up for a part built or previously SVA/IVA'd bargain that might crop up (with poor engine for example) then upgrade as I go. I realise though that as my savings pot grows to a point where I'd have enough to buy a complete car, we'd be in summer and prices higher.

Alternatively, I could buy a used chassis and/or engine and add to that as the year goes on.

In terms of chassis, can they all be converted to BEC or are some easier than others? I know MK, RR, Tiger and Westfield have options available but are their CEC chassis easy to convert to BEC? I ask as I am tempted to buy Mark's blade engine and then look for a suitable rolling chassis over the spring.

peter bland

posted on 5/1/14 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
If I was in your position and knowing what I do now I would be looking at a 7 road registerd either bec or more likely a cec as there is more of them about. My 7 was originally a cec but changed to a bec without much hassle as I imagine with all 7s.
I'm always tinkering with my car, changing diffs, making diffusers,just made a lockable boot, made full cage , the list goes on , so getting advice and help won't be a problem. I also know a bit about welding as it's my day job.

kingster996

posted on 5/1/14 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Peter

I think you are right about buying a finished kit as best option in my case.

I have been down this route before with bikes, built a few specials over the years and often started with a complete single bike and ended up with something that had nothing of the original left. Last one ended up with tuned engine Ohlins, Penske, Oz wheels etc so will no doubt end up spending too much ;-)

Hellfire

posted on 5/1/14 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
If I was in your position, I'd build a kit car. You can build it to your own specification and standard, rather than adapting/altering somebody else's work. Spend a couple of months researching different manufacturers chassis and deciding with bike engine to go with. Then after the first couple of months, you'll hopefully have saved enough to buy the engine you want and can then source the chassis to fit your engine into. Building it over a two year period, you'd be able to drip feed cash into your project and buy and fit the parts as and when you have sufficient funds and time. Most manufacturers will provide a basic starter kit, or you could just purchase the engine and chassis and get started.

Some manufacturers adapt their chassis specifically for car engines or bike engines. BEC's tend to have narrower transmission tunnels and more room in the footwells as there is no need for bulky bell housings. Adapting a CEC chassis for a BEC will involve quite significant alterations in the engine bay and as you cannot weld, would have to get someone to do this work for you. You've obviously got the itch now but aren't in a position to buy a fully built and registered BEC. It's also nice to be working with new/clean parts, rather than dirty oily parts.

Phil

kingster996

posted on 5/1/14 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Haha, two conflicting, yet perfectly sensible options, love it ;-)

Got to admit the idea of building something new and to my spec really does appeal, but maybe having something ready to play with that can be fettled could be just as good.

Time will tell...

johnnybizzle1986

posted on 6/1/14 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Welcome to the forum,

As alot of the guys have said, try and get a used car/tatty as cheap as you can off ebay, and then take out the Knackered old car engine, gearbox, exhaust and wiring and drop in a bike engine. and tidy up to your spec.

for my first Build I had a tight budget and got hold of an old Cbr1000f for £350 and used everything I could from it, engine, loom, exhaust manifold, rad, oil cooler, battery. its not as fast as the new engines but its bullet proof.

Regards Jon

hkp57

posted on 7/1/14 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Very cheap part built on here thats not to far done to change it to a BEC.

Sell the Silver top, gearbox and parts to buy a Honda fireblade or R1 engine.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=185331

kingster996

posted on 7/1/14 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the link, I need to wait until I've squared up the taxman before spending, so I guess I've been suffering from premature investigations - I'm just too eager to get started but can't just yet :-(

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.