Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2 phase electrics?
MikeCapon

posted on 4/1/14 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
2 phase electrics?

I'm trying to help a pal get a Miller tig wired up but at a certain distance, about 300 miles away.

The input wiring is in a steel sheathing which is apparently the earth and then two black wires and one red. Now I'm used to working with single phase and three phase but the original owner of this welder reckons that this is a two phase machine.

Which confuses the hell out of me. Can anyone help here? I've got hold of the manual and the appropriate page is below.

The owner of the welder is a very good freind of mine who really deserves my help but I'm struggling...

Thanks in advance, Mike

[img] Instructions
Instructions
[/img]

www.shock-factory.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave r

posted on 4/1/14 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
drawing isnt good enough to read, but a lot of the welders where i used to work, ran off 2 phases, and no neutral

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

Wadders

posted on 4/1/14 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
My old Oxford oil cooled stick welder can be wired either single phase i.e LN&E from a 240v supply
or 2 phase and earth ( from a 3 phase supply ) so unusual but not unheard of.

Al

Originally posted by MikeCapon
I'm trying to help a pal get a Miller tig wired up but at a certain distance, about 300 miles away.

The input wiring is in a steel sheathing which is apparently the earth and then two black wires and one red. Now I'm used to working with single phase and three phase but the original owner of this welder reckons that this is a two phase machine.

Which confuses the hell out of me. Can anyone help here? I've got hold of the manual and the appropriate page is below.

The owner of the welder is a very good freind of mine who really deserves my help but I'm struggling...

Thanks in advance, Mike

[img] Instructions
Instructions
[/img]

gremlin1234

posted on 4/1/14 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave r
drawing isnt good enough to read,
if you look at the un re-sized drawing, its easy enough to read
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/DPWelder.jpg

Wadders

posted on 4/1/14 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
No wiser for reading that tbh. Any sparks in the house?

Wonder if it can run from single phase though, have seen American schematics before with two conductors marked as 'L' which in practise meant live and neutral.

What output amps is it mike ? A lot of industrial welders up to 200 amp or so which on the face of it are intended for 3 phase usage can run off a single phase

supply by changing the links on the input transformer. Thinking about it I'm sure my esab tig will do 1, 2 or 3 phase input.

Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by dave r
drawing isnt good enough to read,
if you look at the un re-sized drawing, its easy enough to read
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/DPWelder.jpg

madteg

posted on 4/1/14 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
What miller is it. I have one that runs on 110 volt, 240 volt and 415 volt. To use mine on 110 or 240 i have to use 2 phases and a neutral.
Wadders

posted on 4/1/14 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
just checked the esab and it runs from either single phase 240v or 2 phase and N 380v.
mark chandler

posted on 4/1/14 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I had a Marshall Dynabolt, looked identical to a mid range millers, I strapped it for single, it also two and three phase, for single you followed the 208v diagram so I assumed Americans run lower than the uk. It worked a treat although did draw 60 amps when cranked to to 200 amps output.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.