Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which new estate car
AndyW

posted on 7/1/14 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
which new estate car

Hi Guys

I don't normally ask these kind of questions, as the ones I see stray too far from original question. Anyway here goes.......

Need to order a new car. Budget list price up to about £26k

I want an estate car or hatch with mahoosive boot.

Number one choice for my personal preference is Mondeo Titanium X Business Edition. Reason, it will be a company car. I want lots of nice toys, in particular cruise control which I use a lot.

I go camping with the family so space is important, although I do have a roof box that why I will look at hatch's.

So, other than the Mondeo (which I like) what other cars are "good" in either estate format or hatchback?

I'm not too bothered about problems people have had with wipers packing in, or the bulbs blow often etc, rather than a good cruiser, comfort etc. I do about 35k miles per year.

Thanks

Andy

jeffw

posted on 7/1/14 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Honda Accord....

richard thomas

posted on 7/1/14 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
Hi Guys

I don't normally ask these kind of questions, as the ones I see stray too far from original question. Anyway here goes.......

Need to order a new car. Budget list price up to about £26k

I want an estate car or hatch with mahoosive boot.

Number one choice for my personal preference is Mondeo Titanium X Business Edition. Reason, it will be a company car. I want lots of nice toys, in particular cruise control which I use a lot.

I go camping with the family so space is important, although I do have a roof box that why I will look at hatch's.

So, other than the Mondeo (which I like) what other cars are "good" in either estate format or hatchback?

I'm not too bothered about problems people have had with wipers packing in, or the bulbs blow often etc, rather than a good cruiser, comfort etc. I do about 35k miles per year.

Thanks

Andy

That's what I've got on order, due next week - looks very well specced I think....low-ish co2 as well, 120g/km for the 163 bhp....that's what swung it for me....

pekwah1

posted on 7/1/14 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I had an accord (albeit a saloon) but it was a lovely car!
Came with loads of toys, although the mondeo does look good....

HowardB

posted on 7/1/14 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
merc 200D, which I couldn't afford, or the astra sport 2.0D which I could afford,. it is quick, and cavernous too

very low Bik and Ved

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

britishtrident

posted on 7/1/14 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
You can a Volvo V70 under that price limit even without getting a decent discount and your company might stretch to a bit more because of the higher residual value.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

scottfraser

posted on 7/1/14 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 63 Mondeo estate Titanium Business Edition so the same as the one you're going for with a few less toys. Since I got in October last year I've done some 13,000 of the most bland miles ever.

It's not a car to get particularly excited about.

Before I got it I was looking at pretty much every estate on the market and the surprising best was the Skoda Superb estate. Really surprised me...

Mine is going back to Ford as the company I was working for decided to let me go just before Christmas so there will be some deals on a 13k nearly new Mondeo coming into the Ford leasing set up next week. Your company might be able to get a deal on it as opposed to waiting the 6+ weeks as they're all built to order.

nick205

posted on 7/1/14 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Boring I know, but for me it has to be German; VW Passat or Skoda Octavia. Octavia is hard to beat as an overall package, the Passat is slightly larger if you really need the space.

nick205

posted on 7/1/14 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottfraser
Before I got it I was looking at pretty much every estate on the market and the surprising best was the Skoda Superb estate. Really surprised me...

Which is the last model Passat refreshed as a Superb

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 7/1/14 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
I drive an 13 plate A4 Avant and its been pretty faultless, but if it was my money I'd probably go for the Passat.

You mention it'll be a company car - so I presume BIK etc is relevant? If so the Audi residuals are good, and if you have the TDIe model, the emissions are very low.

The base spec these days is SE, which includes cruise, climate, elec windows etc. To be honest, the only thing id add if I could would be a tow bar.

I think list price is 28k, but i'm sure you could find someone punting them at 26 without an issue.

Davey D

posted on 7/1/14 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a MAHOOOSIVE boot then its got to be the Volvo V70 ... or next step up is a funeral car
gregs

posted on 7/1/14 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

+1 for the superb

Mr C

posted on 7/1/14 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gregs
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

+1 for the superb

+1 for a skoda (Octavia vRS estate) Superb a close second

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

sonic

posted on 7/1/14 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Don't buy a Honda Accord, they are rubbish......

Let me qualify my statement before somebody says they are great!

I have an 2011 11 plate 2.2 Dtec EX saloon, it is my company car which i have had from new. it currently has 126500 miles on the clock and not 3 years old until 1st April.

I have had alot of company car in the 30 years i have been a sales manager and cannot wait to get rid of this in 2 months time.

Plus points, loads and loads of toys check the spec sheet out, you won't find many cars for the same money with that much kit.

Down side, very uncomfortable drivers seat once you have been in it for a hour or so long distance, high CO2 band for company car tax

Faults during my ownership, bear in mind it gets serviced by the main dealer every 11 weeks due to the mileage i do.

1/ Eats back tyres due to camber, when they get down to 2-3 mil they start thudding, the main dealer said this is called Stepping caused by the above and cannot be rectified.

2/ New track control arms at 25000 miles

3/ New steering rack due to knocking noise, Visited Honda 4 times before the fault was found

4/ 2 x Engine mounts

5/ New clutch slave and master cylinder due to pedal sticking at the botton randomly, something that took 2 dealers to identify

6/ New rectifier for the cooling fans, randomly stuck and caused the battery to run flat out side customers etc

7/ DPF knackers at 80000 miles, visited Honda 9 times to have this fixed, in the end it needed a new DPF filter which took 4 weeks to arrive.

8/ All the dealers i have visited and there has been a few are total rubbish, the afersales is terrible. i have found one exception and that is the Honda garage in Doncaster who have been very good.

Now before somebody says it must be a one off we have 11 in our fleet both 11, 12, and 13 plates and at least 5 have had new DPF filters, clutch problems and various electrical problems ALL have the stepping problems on the back end as discribed above.

Your choice but take it from somebody who drives 45000 miles a year plus, for the record i have never had any real issues with Volvos or anything German all of which have proved they can handle high miles with out any fuss

Mick

[Edited on 7/1/14 by sonic]

StevenB

posted on 7/1/14 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I got a diesel Seat Exeo ST STech 170BHP back in April
It had 4500 miles and goes like the clappers
Bose IE
Leather seats
Xenon lights with the LED running side lights
SatNav
Cruise Control
Lots of nice bells and whistles that I suppose may come standard
on a few cars these days but ...I like them.

Remote flip up wing mirrors
Dimming rear view mirror.

I used to drive a 2006 A4 S line Avant and
its essentially the same car with a new bonnet.

S

matt5964

posted on 7/1/14 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for the Skoda Octarvia VRs... very nice car and the 184bhp lump is very strong drives well too, lots of kit and very smart looking.
DavidM

posted on 7/1/14 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
I like the look of the Mazda 6 tourer. They all seem to be available within your budget.

David

Proportion is Everything

johnny chimpo

posted on 7/1/14 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 2008 Mondeo estate as my last car and absolutely loved it boot was massive. I changed to a Passat estate in 2011 one of the first of the facelift model. The Passat is a really good car and I enjoy driving it despite the crappy 1.6 Diesel engine (although good for the company car tax). The only reason I never went for another Mondeo was because it had been taken off our list of options.

Given the chance of a Mondeo or a Passat I would go for Mondeo, I think all vw's are starting to merge into looking identical and felt the Mondeo was just that little bit bigger inside.

Slimy38

posted on 8/1/14 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
As an alternative, I might suggest a Kia Cee'd SW. Fantastic cars to drive, I'd buy a Cee'd tomorrow if I had the money available. Unfortunately because they're so highly rated, they're holding their residuals a bit more than my budget can handle.

I've had a few as hire cars and they are really highly specced. I think the only thing I didn't like was the rear view camera, it was mounted in a vulnerable position and by the time I got to my destination after a rainy drive I was looking at a blurred mush. But I did my driving test the old fashioned way, where we learned to turn our head round to see where we were going...

joneh

posted on 8/1/14 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
I know you mentioned estate, but how about a crossover like the Mitsubishi Outlander? A bit of 4x4 is got to be useful for camping?

Edit - trying not to stray too far!

[Edited on 8/1/14 by joneh]

AndyW

posted on 8/1/14 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply's, keep them coming. Some interesting options. I don't want anything really like the vrs Octavia as the ride is way too hard for the kind of miles I do. I like to get to my meetings relaxed, not with back ache! (But that's just my opinion) Don't like the look of Honda's, and I used to have a cross over (kia sportage) and it had a smaller boot than my A4 saloon.

Like the Seat, but is it just like Passat, superb etc?

So, I will go and have a look at the Volvo (never thought I would say that) and compare it to the mondeo for size, spec and BIK etc

Thanks again, got lots to think about.

Slimy38

posted on 8/1/14 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks for the reply's, keep them coming. Some interesting options. I don't want anything really like the vrs Octavia as the ride is way too hard for the kind of miles I do. I like to get to my meetings relaxed, not with back ache! (But that's just my opinion) Don't like the look of Honda's, and I used to have a cross over (kia sportage) and it had a smaller boot than my A4 saloon.

So, I will go and have a look at the Volvo (never thought I would say that) and compare it to the mondeo for size, spec and BIK etc

If you think the Octavia is harsh, the Seat won't suit you. In my humble opinion while they do share floorpans and suspension setups, Seat tend to aim for the firmer side of things.

The Kia Sportage is such a bizarre thing, I had one briefly as a hire car. It's a massive car but I filled the boot with a couple of large cases!! I thought I was using it wrongly and it had a false floor, but when I lifted the panel I found the spare wheel. Such a waste of space, a bit better thinking and it would have been much better.

joneh

posted on 8/1/14 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
I'm currently looking for 4x4 with a big boot and it's difficult. The outlander is the biggest with my budget or a mk2 CRV... Looked at a Jeep Patriot and it's smaller than my wife's Polo!
nick205

posted on 8/1/14 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

The Seat Exeo is built on the previous generation Auid A4 I believe, so not as big as the Passat or Superb (which is built on the previous gen B6 Passat).

amalyos

posted on 8/1/14 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
I sold my Mondeo estate last year and still regret it. I towed my Race car for 2 years with it and had no problems.

My previous car was BMW 3 series touring, and I hated it, the ride was to harsh and there was no room in it.

If you want big and toys, you can't beat the Mondeo.

As for those that say their boring......it's a big estate, not a sports car!!

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.