Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bt wall socket and plug replacement
02GF74

posted on 11/1/14 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
bt wall socket and plug replacement

Arrgggggghhhhh having to deal with demented robots in india...

Problem is the socket in the bt face plate is corroded and same prob on the plugs.

How easy is it to replace the plugs can it be done without the crinp took eg use a vice
Alternative is to run a new cable but that will be more hassle

Also walk socket presumably i am not allowed to change this ... but if i did and said a phone engineer did how woukd any one know

cliftyhanger

posted on 11/1/14 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
From my experiences, nobody will ever know/care if you change the socket on the wall. If there is an issue, the BT man will come along, shrug and fit a new one.
No idea about the plugs, they must be bodgeable though.

02GF74

posted on 11/1/14 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
.... ok

One more q are these sockets available with built in filter and separate socket for phone and bband?

Slimy38

posted on 11/1/14 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember needle nosed pliers work fine on the plugs, you just have to press each pin down individually.

And yes, while the BT engineers are responsible for the master socket, they never seem bothered or surprised if the house owners have replaced or repaired it.

Slimy38

posted on 11/1/14 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
.... ok

One more q are these sockets available with built in filter and separate socket for phone and bband?

Plenty on Ebay, either as complete sockets or as standard sockets and a replacement faceplate.

deezee

posted on 11/1/14 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
When I was doing wok on the house I just went B&Q or Wickes and picked up a new master socket. if they are available there, its deffo in the acceptable DIY spectrum.

02GF74

posted on 11/1/14 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
.... ok

02GF74

posted on 11/1/14 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Talktalk are taking the pi55 £50 for eng to come out but the best part is they wont come out until 24 jan .... so in the meantime i ll have a gi myself.
Maplins or ebay.

Anyone got link to master socket with both phone line and broadb sockets ir dud i dream this up?

whitestu

posted on 11/1/14 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Anyone got link to master socket with both phone line and broadb sockets ir dud i dream this up?

I've never come across one.

David Jenkins

posted on 11/1/14 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
This is probably what you want:

Master socket bits

Go down the page to "Frequently bought together" and you'll see the bits you need - the master socket, the splitter/filter that replaces the lower part of the socket, and the tool used to push the wires into the connectors.

britishtrident

posted on 11/1/14 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
.... ok

Yes I been using one for about 6 years I bought it from the Broadband Nation website. pretty it will be getting replaced as I am going fttc.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

matt_gsxr

posted on 11/1/14 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have read that there as some volts on these lines 50v.
Is there any hazard from this?

Slimy38

posted on 11/1/14 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr

Yep, telephone lines are 50 volts. Don't lick your fingers and hold each end...

Having worked on many telephone exchanges during my apprenticeship and accidentally shorted a fair few connections, I can confidently say it tingles but doesn't hurt that much.

mark chandler

posted on 11/1/14 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap master line jacks can impact your broadband speed so get a quality item.

You can easily push the wires in, some line jacks come with a disposable tool, okay it does not trim the wire like the correct crone will but you are only pushing the wire between two knive edges.

iank

posted on 11/1/14 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

50V is deemed to be touchable extra low voltage, i.e. you won't get a shock (just a tingle as said).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extra-low_voltage

[Edited on 11/1/14 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

richard thomas

posted on 11/1/14 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
For what it's worth, I recently replaced my front door and accidentally tore the cables from the box...

I just twisted the wires together, works a treat...only a temp measure of course....but nobody can touch them so safe enough for now I guess....

I couldn't find my wire strippers at the time so removed insulation with my teeth....I did get a 'tingle' once......not particularly unpleasant, but I wouldn't do it as a hobby.....

David Jenkins

posted on 11/1/14 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:

50V is deemed to be touchable extra low voltage, i.e. you won't get a shock (just a tingle as said).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extra-low_voltage

[Edited on 11/1/14 by iank]

Except when ringing current is being sent - that's 80v AC - got many a belt when wiring distribution frames in telephone exchanges when I were a lad... not fatal, but it makes you jump enough to slam the back of your hand into the wiring block opposite to the one you're working on, leaving a symmetrical set of puncture wounds in your skin...

DavidW

posted on 11/1/14 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I did ours, easy enough although a bit fiddly.

Buy a tool to press the wires into the terminals to avoid reliability problems. I'm sure mine was only about a quid on eBay.

David

Slimy38

posted on 11/1/14 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

Except when ringing current is being sent - that's 80v AC - got many a belt when wiring distribution frames in telephone exchanges when I were a lad... not fatal, but it makes you jump enough to slam the back of your hand into the wiring block opposite to the one you're working on, leaving a symmetrical set of puncture wounds in your skin...

I used to do that accidentally to a friend when extending exchanges. We couldn't use automated testing for the lines for fear of affecting existing lines so we had to call each and every line. I could dial faster than he could connect, so by the time he plugged the phone in it was already ringing.... he eventually got quicker at it!!

matt_gsxr

posted on 12/1/14 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

I used to do that accidentally to a friend when extending exchanges. We couldn't use automated testing for the lines for fear of affecting existing lines so we had to call each and every line. I could dial faster than he could connect, so by the time he plugged the phone in it was already ringing.... he eventually got quicker at it!!

Your words paint great pictures. Its not the electricity that gets you but the jumping off the ladder that might.

deezee

posted on 12/1/14 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
BT provide a signal cable. Yeah its 50v but its running 10-40 ma. Its nothing. My phone charger is 2 amp and thats not going to do much. I'd be more terrified of a 12v car battery than a 50v BT cable.

Peteff

posted on 12/1/14 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
My mate lost his phone and broadband and contacted Talk Talk and they had Openreach there next day and as it was the main socket into the house it was repaired free.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

vysie

posted on 22/1/14 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
50v dc rising to 75ac on a call if i remember right nothing but a tingle its only 2 wires to swop to a new face plate 5 mins work. or nab open reach when outside offer em a drink to change it? i once had a call out i kid you not at 11pm 1 xmas eve the job came through as electrical issue so rushed to job lady opens door crying so alright love whats the problem.......................lady my phone dont work!!!!!!!!!! it was a new build house and a newish contract for me at the time, lets see your bt master..................lady its not fitted yet! sign her please i cant work magic

onwards

splitrivet

posted on 23/1/14 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
BT provide a signal cable. Yeah its 50v but its running 10-40 ma. Its nothing. My phone charger is 2 amp and thats not going to do much. I'd be more terrified of a 12v car battery than a 50v BT cable.

OK I'll ask you to hold a the A/B wires of a phone line then give you a call, it aint nice.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.